BBL Match 58 The Qualifier Perth Scorchers v Sydney Sixers 1845hrs @ Perth Stadium

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I do wonder if they would ever nerf us by bringing in a second Perth team

Probably not the support to both fill 55k stadiums though

Could make a pretty good WA XI from pullling from the other teams off the top of my head

Phillipe
Short
Smarsh
Stoin
Cartwright
David
NCN
Hinchcliffe
Paris
-
Rocchioli

Probs a couple I'm missing and a couple that would be replaced with our 14th/15th etc like Kelly

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I do wonder if they would ever nerf us by bringing in a second Perth team

Probably not the support to both fill 55k stadiums though

Could make a pretty good WA XI from pullling from the other teams off the top of my head

Phillipe
Short
Smarsh
Stoin
Cartwright
David
NCN
Hinchcliffe
Paris
-
Rocchioli

Probs a couple I'm missing and a couple that would be replaced with our 14th/15th etc like Kelly
I have a feeling we’ll start losing a few off the back. Can’t be walking around with a squad that has Kelly and Morris as backup quicks (although they do get a fair bit of game time with the others being very injury prone), when other sides are struggling to have 4 decent bowling options. Bangers wouldve also been struggling to get a game if Marsh hadn’t gone down early.

Not to worry though, we’ll just keep unearthing gems. Hardie took the next step this year, Payne was our yearly small name international find, and Connolly is getting consistent game time, without necessarily having to do much yet

4Seasons

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have a feeling we’ll start losing a few off the back. Can’t be walking around with a squad that has Kelly and Morris as backup quicks (although they do get a fair bit of game time with the others being very injury prone), when other sides are struggling to have 4 decent bowling options. Bangers wouldve also been struggling to get a game if Marsh hadn’t gone down early.

Not to worry though, we’ll just keep unearthing gems. Hardie took the next step this year, Payne was our yearly small name international find, and Connolly is getting consistent game time, without necessarily having to do much yet
Yep. And Connolly is only 19 remember as well.
Plus we have a whole brigade of young players currently making runs for fun in our Grade comp.

Surely Wylie will want a regular spot next season too. Kelly is the big one for me, he’s be the best quick in most sides not named Scorchers/Sixers. Surely he moves somewhere. Bancroft not sure think it depends whether he’s getting a regular spot. Hardie is an interesting one too, will he bat 3 next year with Marsh back?

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely Wylie will want a regular spot next season too. Kelly is the big one for me, he’s be the best quick in most sides not named Scorchers/Sixers. Surely he moves somewhere. Bancroft not sure think it depends whether he’s getting a regular spot. Hardie is an interesting one too, will he bat 3 next year with Marsh back?
could open with him but I reckon Inglis to open with FAF if available marsh 3 Hardie 4

could open with him but I reckon Inglis to open with FAF if available marsh 3 Hardie 4

Surely you keep Inglis at 4. He suits that role wonder whether you may decide to move Marsh on. Let’s not pretend this is his first rodeo of getting injured

Inglis can bat anywhere that's one of his biggest strengths

if Mitch is fit you bat him three he is not leaving the scorchers

Yep you are probably right but I’d still like Hardie at 3 in terms of development for the national side. Inglis can bat wherever but for the national side I like him at 4 suits the team. It’s an interesting “problem” if you call them that. These are nice issues to have

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Yep you are probably right but I’d still like Hardie at 3 in terms of development for the national side. Inglis can bat wherever but for the national side I like him at 4 suits the team. It’s an interesting “problem” if you call them that. These are nice issues to have
With how stacked the team is it probably doesn’t matter who opens. Marsh could open and just be given the license to absolutely destroy anything and everything in the powerplay, especially with the batting depth behind him. We would have Turner/Bangers coming in at 5 and 6 in that scenario which seems very broken and unfair

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
41,126 seems a tad low compared to how many tickets they were saying were sold pre-game?
I reckon they assume that the entire members area will be full. So it's actually 30,000 tickets plus a 15,000 capacity members area* = "45,000 tickets sold".

*Don't know the actual size of the members, figures are an illustration only.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Just watching the replay, keep farking useless Philippe away from any Australia side.
Can't handle a moving ball when batting & as a keeper can't handle a skied ball 10 metes away.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Just watching the replay, keep farking useless Philippe away from any Australia side.
Can't handle a moving ball when batting & as a keeper can't handle a skied ball 10 metes away.
Philippe development is very frustrating atm. I truly believe the keeping component is hampering his batting and he needs to give it away and concentrate on being a batter as his number one role.

With Inglis back for the 2nd half of the shield I am hoping Josh can knuckle down and score some runs

so much talent going to waste atm

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Cam Bancroft might be a sneaky chance of making the T20 World Cup in 2024.

He has the game for it, he has the temperament for it and he is the kind of player that knows when to go for the big shots and can rotate and play around a player that is striking the ball better than him.

Steve Smith has reinforced his selection for T2024 from the few gigs alone and you could even play Bancroft somewhere in the middle there of the AUstralian national team.

Given that Australia didn't win the World Cup this year with players like: Warner, Wade, Maxwell and Stoinis. Players are going to have to earn their spots on merit. There is still a fair away between now and USA/West Indies 2024. You would imagine next years big Bash will be a big indicator of who makes the squad or not.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nothing better than beating the Sixers and their smug captain noses.
(Not to mention strokers like abbot, Christian and SOK)
Look forward to the scorchers bridesmaiding them again in a weeks time

Cam Bancroft might be a sneaky chance of making the T20 World Cup in 2024.

He has the game for it, he has the temperament for it and he is the kind of player that knows when to go for the big shots and can rotate and play around a player that is striking the ball better than him.

Steve Smith has reinforced his selection for T2024 from the few gigs alone and you could even play Bancroft somewhere in the middle there of the AUstralian national team.

Given that Australia didn't win the World Cup this year with players like: Warner, Wade, Maxwell and Stoinis. Players are going to have to earn their spots on merit. There is still a fair away between now and USA/West Indies 2024. You would imagine next years big Bash will be a big indicator of who makes the squad or not.

Can see some similarities between Bancroft and Mike Hussey careers

Opener who reinvents himself in the shorter form of the game.

Here's hoping he can have a similar trajectory to Hussey

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats

Thing is Bancroft is also playing in a winning side which helps his chances as well. And even someone like Ashton Turner has reinvented himself a bit this season and given the better pool of players have come from the Perth Scorchers , national selectors may be forced to choose some Scorchers and Sixers to make up the bulk of their squad.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

His white ball record has always been very good - remember he first played for Australia in a T20I.

Also averages 40+ in 50 over cricket, striking at 85. Very handy cricketer.

Back