• Poll closed .
Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Incredible final.
Pulsating from start to finish.
Some mishaps and disasters, but overall a high high quality match, and kept us guessing til the end.

I was sure Hobson and Connolly weren’t given enough of a chance earlier in the tournament and wouldn’t be able to pull through, but that was something else!

Turner to be Aus t20 captain at some point soon, Connolly will play a long while.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
So who was against me talking up Nick "The Hobsonator" Hobson all year

Where are the critics now

The Hobsonator was sent back in time with one mission - to win BBL12 and he did it
I wrote him off after he ran out captain Turner.

I said he should stick to accounting. Ill own up , I was wrong.

Although I reckon Connolly deserved more of the plaudits in that last wicket partnership. I haven't seen clean hitting from a 19 year old in a big time game for a long time.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Incredible final.
Pulsating from start to finish.
Some mishaps and disasters, but overall a high high quality match, and kept us guessing til the end.

I was sure Hobson and Connolly weren’t given enough of a chance earlier in the tournament and wouldn’t be able to pull through, but that was something else!

Turner to be Aus t20 captain at some point soon, Connolly will play a long while.
Turner has definitely put his name in the ring now for T20 World Cup 2024.

And Hardie has to be at the forefront of selectors minds as well.

Can see a number of these Scorcher players going to better things too.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I spammed this thread with the message that the Scorchers would win even when things got a bit tense for them in the run chase. That was me wanting to jinx them but also being honest about them always looking the more likely winner. Optus Stadium and the WACA before it are fast scoring grounds so a required rate of 12 an over was always manageable for the home side.

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
And no one would give a s**t. It's not the A League. BBL is great to watch, but is it really that fanatical?
Perth would give a s**t as it actually gets decent crowds. If the final was in Sydney tonight you'd struggle to get 25k.

Tonight at Optus was as loud at the end as the elim final vs the bulldogs. I guess it isn't fanatical in the sense that you'd have goalkeepers getting bashed with bins if they pulled an A-league move

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Turner has definitely put his name in the ring now for T20 World Cup 2024.

And Hardie has to be at the forefront of selectors minds as well.

Can see a number of these Scorcher players going to better things too.
Absolutely

Don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say something like

1. Matt Short
2. Smith/Davies
3. MMarsh
4. Hardie/Stoinis/David
5. Turner
6. Green
7. Inglis
8. Cummins
9. Agar/Zampa
10. Meredith
11. Thornton/Richardson

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Perth would give a s**t as it actually gets decent crowds. If the final was in Sydney tonight you'd struggle to get 25k.

Tonight at Optus was as loud at the end as the elim final vs the bulldogs. I guess it isn't fanatical in the sense that you'd have goalkeepers getting bashed with bins if they pulled an A-league move
Nice try. You know exactly what I mean. Fanatical goalkeepers getting bashed?.
Go around Perth in a fortnight time, and no one cares about BBL. Scorchers are great, but honestly it's an entertainment.
Melbourne and Sydney are struggling for crowds, which show you exactly how much interest the public has. WA will always be crazy for their team, doesn't mean BBL is a huge comp.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Went along tonight - felt it was going to be tight - not a fan of a lack of bowling options in T20 - would have rather played Peter and left out Connolly for the added bowling experience. :moustache:

Great game. It was roasting hot. The game must have looked half full because the queue for drinks never relented - water refill station probably more than any!

A great season by the Scorchers. It never rated much of a mention but they had to overcome some serious personnel issues to get a quality team out there this year.

1. The much hyped ‘Draft’ saw Perth choose to retain Laurie Evans over Colin Munro. Evans tests positive to PED and gets his contract terminated. Evans is replaced by a mostly uneventful cameo from South African Supervillain Faf du Plessis.

2. The teams best player - Mitch Marsh - is ruled out for the summer. Massive blow.

3. Import Phil Salt injuries himself in the T20 World Cup - also ruled out. He’s replaced by Adam Lyth - who appeared to be some kind of competition winner, unfamiliar with the game.

4. Tymal Mills - a key player in the BBL11 title - stays in the UK on account of a family emergency (his 2 year old girl suffered a stroke at the airport before his flight out to Perth - truly awful!)

5. Mitch Marsh is might be gone, but at least Cam Green is back after the tests! - until he is also injured and ruled out…

6. Jhye Richardson, probably the most damaging bowler in the league, smashes his way through 7 games before a hamstring injury finishes his season abruptly.

7. Like many teams in the league, ridiculous CA scheduling sees Lance Morris and Ashton Agar unavailable while carrying drinks and out of the country for the finals.

Phew.

Despite all that, the team never skipped a beat, played some high quality T20 cricket - Bancroft, Turner, Hardie and Inglis all match winners at times with Tye and Berendorff putting in another great season. Imports played cameo roles all season without the impact of Colin Munro’s excellent BBL11 - makes you wonder how good the team would have been with Marsh, Green and Richardson available.

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
Nice try. You know exactly what I mean. Fanatical goalkeepers getting bashed?.
Go around Perth in a fortnight time, and no one cares about BBL. Scorchers are great, but honestly it's an entertainment.
Melbourne and Sydney are struggling for crowds, which show you exactly how much interest the public has. WA will always be crazy for their team, doesn't mean BBL is a huge comp.
Go around Perth right now, and no one cares about Perth Glory. Just because the interest here is nil didn't stop the fans in Melbourne from complaining (as they should've) when the A League moved the GF to Sydney and eventually some idiots clobbering a goalkeeper to the point where he had to go to hospital.

Similarly, just because Melb/Syd can't get BBL crowds doesn't mean people here wouldn't be pissed off if Cricket Australia pulled a similar move. I'm fairly confident it wouldn't end in players being injured though.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Went along tonight - felt it was going to be tight - not a fan of a lack of bowling options in T20 - would have rather played Peter and left out Connolly for the added bowling experience. :moustache:

Great game. It was roasting hot. The game must have looked half full because the queue for drinks never relented - water refill station probably more than any!

A great season by the Scorchers. It never rated much of a mention but they had to overcome some serious personnel issues to get a quality team out there this year.

1. The much hyped ‘Draft’ saw Perth choose to retain Laurie Evans over Colin Munro. Evans tests positive to PED and gets his contract terminated. Evans is replaced by a mostly uneventful cameo from South African Supervillain Faf du Plessis.

2. The teams best player - Mitch Marsh - is ruled out for the summer. Massive blow.

3. Import Phil Salt injuries himself in the T20 World Cup - also ruled out. He’s replaced by Adam Lyth - who appeared to be some kind of competition winner, unfamiliar with the game.

4. Tymal Mills - a key player in the BBL11 title - stays in the UK on account of a family emergency (his 2 year old girl suffered a stroke at the airport before his flight out to Perth - truly awful!)

5. Mitch Marsh is might be gone, but at least Cam Green is back after the tests! - until he is also injured and ruled out…

6. Jhye Richardson, probably the most damaging bowler in the league, smashes his way through 7 games before a hamstring injury finishes his season abruptly.

7. Like many teams in the league, ridiculous CA scheduling sees Lance Morris and Ashton Agar unavailable while carrying drinks and out of the country for the finals.

Phew.

Despite all that, the team never skipped a beat, played some high quality T20 cricket - Bancroft, Turner, Hardie and Inglis all match winners at times with Tye and Berendorff putting in another great season. Imports played cameo roles all season without the impact of Colin Munro’s excellent BBL11 - makes you wonder how good the team would have been with Marsh, Green and Richardson available.

Great post! Outstanding season by Perth.
Many here seem to delight in running down the BBL & T20 Cricket generally.

Much of the criticism I’ve noticed centered on how we don’t have enough “star” players whether from OS or Oz players with international commitments.

I would actually much rather watch a team that trains & plays together than a manufactured collective of mercenaries who have no connection to the place they’re playing in beyond signing a fat contract.

How much more does it mean to guys like Hobson & Connolly struggling to break in at the top level to live out a fairy tale ending than an international collecting a medal then heading off to the next franchise competition.

I thought the BBL this year was of a high standard & generally really entertaining & it got the final it deserved.

The_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2005
North Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
australia
That was better than the Test Matches, but looking forward to India. 5 time champions, Scorchers and Wildcats are a cut above, West Coast to join them by the end of the millennium mathematically . Too much fine weather, clean air, fitness and fresh produce for the non-Swansiders or eastern staters if you will to compete

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Fans don’t invest in losers, if the two Melbourne teams won more often than they lost the crowds will turn up.
If the scorchers were bottom two their crowds will drop to 10-15k
It’s just the modern day way of things. Love you when your winning, but if you are losing then we will stay home.
Id challenge that. The Grand Final between these two teams only drew 40,800, so you can't say they weren't good that season.

That would normally sell out if the fans are into it.

BBL needs more fans like those from Perth. It might have a bit to do with your success but the support is far more than anywhere else.
Well done again Scorches, the fans deserve it.
Success is what brings those fans in though.

Why would someone go to a Stars game after this season for instance? Especially in this current economic climate. You're not investing time and money in losers.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Scorchers deserved to win, can't deny that

Sucks to get so close in the meme league
Heat was just lacking the quality in the top order the scorchers have ( after taking out Khwaja, Renshaw). Turner, Bancroft, Hardie, Inglis are all better batsman than the heats best players.
Heat was just too a bit too slow in the first 15 overs.

They really needed McSweeney to bowl an over or two through the middle to avoid having to do that.
Yep. He bowled so we'll in the prelim, one over probably means they chase 15 off the last instead of 10.

Back