BBL BBL Match 61, The Grand Final Sydney Sixers v Perth Scorchers at the SCG 1910 AEDT

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The depth isn't there.
Most teams apart from the top 3 have 2 or 3 spuds in them.
Exactly- look at some of the hacks getting regular games with some of the poorer teams.
I get the argument but in a country the size of ours and cricket always lagging behind the football codes there just isn’t the talent- a few less imports isn’t suddenly going to see our depth improve/gun talent emerge from no where ,all it ll mean a few more club cricketers getting a run

Can’t wait for 6+ more Marenti types of players then...

Just no. The talent isn’t there

Nope I am not against banning all imports just having it capped at two a team

If you promote aussie talent your comp will improve yes maybe in the short term it might go backwards a bit...but promoting Australian players is what the comp should be about and it is better for Australian Cricket

I would rather a young 19 year old being given a go from 1st grade than some 30 old hack from the old dart

Nope I am not against banning all imports just having it capped at two a team

If you promote aussie talent your comp will improve yes maybe in the short term it might go backwards a bit...but promoting Australian players is what the comp should be about and it is better for Australian Cricket

I would rather a young 19 year old being given a go from 1st grade than some 30 old hack from the old dart

I’d rather the better players thanks. you are just wanting some more D grade hacks from club cricket. The talented ones are already in teams and playing.

I’d rather the better players thanks. you are just wanting some more D grade hacks from club cricket. The talented ones are already in teams and playing.
Yep almost all genuine talent is already in the system through talent id/pathways.

Do people not realise this?- it’s sports (virtually all) talent spotting 101

Limiting a few less imports and promoting a few more club trundlers ain’t going to suddenly start producing whole lot of hidden gems!

Or you can increase the cap to 4 and keep picking overseas hacks like Morkel who has done f**k all

back your own talent and the comp will improve keep the cap to two

So another blowout game is a fitting way to end this overdrawn amateur hour competition that was just littered with controversy, abysmal umpiring decisions and a raft of ludicrous rule changes that looked like a primary school class came up with.

Anyway the team in pink pyjamas beat the team in orange in this years muppet edition. CAN NOT WAIT until next seasons comp... Pffffffffttttttt

Yet you’re named after a player who no one would know exists if it weren’t for BBL. I can’t tell if your post is irony or stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or you can increase the cap to 4 and keep picking overseas hacks like Morkel who has done f**k all

Morkel is still better than playing Marenti types and you are plying worse than that if you go further into the depth

Yet you’re named after a player who no one would know exists if it weren’t for BBL. I can’t tell if your post is irony or stupidity.

I get behind any Brisbane sporting team whether the comp they are playing in is gimmicky or not.

Even if the Heat had of won this year it’s hard to argue that this years edition doesn’t mean as much as previous years, and that includes all sporting codes including the likes of NRL and AFL. There are just too many variables with scheduling and home ground bubbles, rearranged fixtures, etc that makes the regular season not a fair playing field, plus their is the issue of gimmicky rule changes, internationals players pulling out of certain teams last minute crippling team rosters, throw in the Z Grade umpiring which seem to be at an all time worse and you have an asterisk season. Just like the NRL and AFL in 2020 should both be asterisks seasons as there wasn’t a level playing field in the regular season. You can argue the best team still won but they doesn’t mean it’s a perfectly legit title. 2020/2021 sporting titles will all have an asterisk next to it until this Covid s**t stops wrecking havoc on every variable.

In regards to Lynn, he is the best local batsman to grace the BBL in its history and his record backs that up. Everyone loves to say he is a hack slogger but then you watch Livingstone bat last night and he looks like a B Tec version of Lynn trying to bash the cover off the ball every delivery and most of the time missing. Livingstone is a leg side flogging hack who has less less tricks than Lynn but no one questions that. Lynn is also at the back end of his career.

But don’t get it wrong, he may have made his name in BBL but everyone would know who he was without it. He has lit up the one day domestic comp when he has been fit, and if it wasn’t for injury could have been a test player. Injury cruelly ruined his long form career which was actually quiet decent. Don’t believe me, check his shield numbers when he played. He would walk into the Aussie test team today with his numbers

We are backing in talent, look at Tanveer Sangha and JFM. The fact is, there's not a lot of talent in the waiting. If the international cap is lowered back to 2, it opens the door for the likes of Clive Rose and Liam Bowe to get games. In one sense, good on them, we'd all love to be a grade cricketer who lands a BBL contract, but it makes the comp look amaeteurish. There's a lot of features of the BBL that need changing, DRS, shortened season and trying to prevent players from departing mid-season (bigger contracts) to name a few. Lowering international caps isn't one of them.

Fair play Sixers, been a class above everyone all season and I'm glad we had a season where a team saw it through to the end and didn't just capitulate in the final game.

Scorchers were always the only threat and I thought on their day they could win but really Sixers have beaten them well twice in these finals.

These were really the only two good sides all year, everyone else was disappointing in their own way.

Also re the internationals, the league needs more international talent, not less. The standard was awful at times this year, Australia doesn't have the talent so we need players from overseas. These guys make the league a way better spectacle than it is without them.

I'd actually be in full support of the following changes but there's 0 chance it happens anytime soon

6 team league based on states instead of franchises, like every other format, the states have their T20 sides, play each other twice for a 10 game season home and away, 3-4 internationals per team. It won't happen, but to me that would make the league tenfold better.

I get behind any Brisbane sporting team whether the comp they are playing in is gimmicky or not.

Even if the Heat had of won this year it’s hard to argue that this years edition doesn’t mean as much as previous years, and that includes all sporting codes including the likes of NRL and AFL. There are just too many variables with scheduling and home ground bubbles, rearranged fixtures, etc that makes the regular season not a fair playing field, plus their is the issue of gimmicky rule changes, internationals players pulling out of certain teams last minute crippling team rosters, throw in the Z Grade umpiring which seem to be at an all time worse and you have an asterisk season. Just like the NRL and AFL in 2020 should both be asterisks seasons as there wasn’t a level playing field in the regular season. You can argue the best team still won but they doesn’t mean it’s a perfectly legit title. 2020/2021 sporting titles will all have an asterisk next to it until this Covid sh*t stops wrecking havoc on every variable.

In regards to Lynn, he is the best local batsman to grace the BBL in its history and his record backs that up. Everyone loves to say he is a hack slogger but then you watch Livingstone bat last night and he looks like a B Tec version of Lynn trying to bash the cover off the ball every delivery and most of the time missing. Livingstone is a leg side flogging hack who has less less tricks than Lynn but no one questions that. Lynn is also at the back end of his career.

But don’t get it wrong, he may have made his name in BBL but everyone would know who he was without it. He has lit up the one day domestic comp when he has been fit, and if it wasn’t for injury could have been a test player. Injury cruelly ruined his long form career which was actually quiet decent. Don’t believe me, check his shield numbers when he played. He would walk into the Aussie test team today with his numbers

Meaningless rant.

Have a cold shower. Really.

Relax.

Take some deep breaths.

Go for a walk.

Take all the cricket & footy with a grain of salt.

They are games.

Played & umpired by human beings.

None of them are perfect.

T20 is a hit & miss game, Its been invented for TV as a form of entertainment.

If you're not 'entertained' by it, go & dig the garden or walk the dog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also re the internationals, the league needs more international talent, not less. The standard was awful at times this year, Australia doesn't have the talent so we need players from overseas. These guys make the league a way better spectacle than it is without them.

I'd actually be in full support of the following changes but there's 0 chance it happens anytime soon

6 team league based on states instead of franchises, like every other format, the states have their T20 sides, play each other twice for a 10 game season home and away, 3-4 internationals per team. It won't happen, but to me that would make the league tenfold better.

Couldn’t agree more on the last paragraph. That’s exactly what is needed to revamp the competition.

So many positives to this, it shortens the season so that it doesn’t drag out meaning more likely to hang onto internationals for the entire tournament, you won’t have players whinging about the length of tournament which might lead to more competitive games and it also dilutes the talent pool much more effectively meaning more high end games.

It will never happen though because the only negative to this is the money aspect and CA will never overlook this one negative despite the many positives of going down this route to keep the competition relevant and fresh. The fact that the 4 local derby games would be sacrificed in this scenario means CA won’t even entertain the thought. Also means you realistically could only have a 2 game finals series if only 6 teams are competing (2 vs 3 play off to face 1 in the GF)

If they introduce more teams whilst keeping the same format, the competition will be dead in under 3 years. CA took full advantage of the excitement and money BBL was generating but have all but sucked the lemon dry and need to come up with a new way to sustain this besides adding ridiculous s**t like the big bash boost and X factor. I would settle just to have DRS introduced next year.

Good on the Scorchers for getting to a GF after not registering a win until their 5th game. Sixers the best side all summer though.

I'm more concerned with a limp end to the Sheffield Season, no SA test series and England batting line-up absolutely carving India up in China.

No test cricket for us until they come and I'm worried about yet another home series loss.

Oh yeah and the majority of the WA side won't even get any more long-form cricket as they've been picked for a meaningful NZ t20 series.

Couldn’t agree more on the last paragraph. That’s exactly what is needed to revamp the competition.

So many positives to this, it shortens the season so that it doesn’t drag out meaning more likely to hang onto internationals for the entire tournament, you won’t have players whinging about the length of tournament which might lead to more competitive games and it also dilutes the talent pool much more effectively meaning more high end games.

It will never happen though because the only negative to this is the money aspect and CA will never overlook this one negative despite the many positives of going down this route to keep the competition relevant and fresh. The fact that the 4 local derby games would be sacrificed in this scenario means CA won’t even entertain the thought. Also means you realistically could only have a 2 game finals series if only 6 teams are competing (2 vs 3 play off to face 1 in the GF)

If they introduce more teams whilst keeping the same format, the competition will be dead in under 3 years. CA took full advantage of the excitement and money BBL was generating but have all but sucked the lemon dry and need to come up with a new way to sustain this besides adding ridiculous sh*t like the big bash boost and X factor. I would settle just to have DRS introduced next year.
New teams surely can't be on the agenda?

New teams surely can't be on the agenda?

Pretty sure they were pushing hard for a Gold Coast and Canberra franchise to expand it to 12 teams but I think Covid put that to bed thank god. That would almost be the death knell.

Says a lot about the state of the comp when that team can win back to back t20 titles. Philippe carried them early and Vince won them both finals. Really don’t think their squad was good enough outside Philippe and Vince’s 2 games. Scorchers showed all year that we bat right down to 6 and any of them can make 60+ on their day. Get the Sixers 3 down (as we did in our win against them) and they’ve got nothing. That’s on top of the bowling unit being garbage.

Pretty sure they were pushing hard for a Gold Coast and Canberra franchise to expand it to 12 teams but I think Covid put that to bed thank god. That would almost be the death knell.
They'd pretty much have to double the internationals and have greater access the the Australia players for it to work, dont see it happening.

Says a lot about the state of the comp when that team can win back to back t20 titles. Philippe carried them early and Vince won them both finals. Really don’t think their squad was good enough outside Philippe and Vince’s 2 games. Scorchers showed all year that we bat right down to 6 and any of them can make 60+ on their day. Get the Sixers 3 down (as we did in our win against them) and they’ve got nothing. That’s on top of the bowling unit being garbage.

Lol. Bizarre post.

Presumably that’s why Scorchers finished top of the table

Back