BBL The Challenger Adelaide Strikers v Sydney Sixers @ the SCG Weds Jan 26 1855 ACDT

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The funny thing was he was retired for like 10 years when they finally bought it in.

He always used to get jayasuriya who was greased lightning between wickets lol

Yep lol there’s the funny Healy sledge lol “you can’t get a runner just because you are a fat ….”

In my day, anyone could have a runner so long as the injury wasn't pre existing

When did that change?
people like to bring up Ranatunga but he's got nothing to do with it. if you want to find one flash point, it would be an ODer between England and SA in 2009 when GSmith started cramping up, requested a runner, the umpires didn't want to give him one and Strauss didn't want to allow it either. A couple of years later the ICC banned them in their playing conditions (not MCC laws of the game) to eliminate the grey areas because the issue kept on coming up.

CA is free to use their own runner rule for their domestic competitions, which they do. However, I think, they use the exact same wording and hence rule for all formats of the domestic game which is absurd. Not allowing a runner until the last wicket partnership is fine for the shield, but unless it's a dog of a wicket, shouldn't ever be a reality in a T20 game. CA clearly should craft a rule for their T20 comps, ie a runner is allowed upon the fall of the 6th wicket, or within the last 25% of the allocated overs, or something, or straight up ban them for the BBL and WBBL

edit: also theoretically I suppose for the last ball, the Sixers could have retired out all their batters until Silk/Kerr was the last wicket stand, therefore allowing a runner for Silk

Last edited:

My team had a runner a few years back.

One chaotic piece of calling had all three batters end up at the striker's end. The ball got throw to the bowler who took it cleanly on the pitch, a few metres from the bowler's stumps.

He looked down the pitch and saw two batsmen there, neither of them attempting to run up the pitch and get home, seemingly given up.

So he strolled casually up to the stumps with no urgency, not realising that the runner - out near square leg and out of his view/thinking - was by that stage motoring at full speed to get home at the bowler's end.

Eventually he knocked off a bail, with his team mates screaming at him to hurry up. Sure enough with a full length dive the runner had made it home.

Common pattern I’ve been noticing about Sixers matches this season . Kerr, Abbott, Dwarshuis and Avendando have had games when they have individually pulled their teams out of train wrecks .

Speaks volumes of their team in that , the majority of their team may be beaten but an individual or two on their day can turn around the fortunes for them.

Perth and Sixers respect each other but no way will Perth think they are a shoe-in against a depleted and injured Sixers line up.

Also with regards to the Sixers injuries , can one blame the intensity and duration of the season as having some affect on the Sixers . I mean a player like SOK is on the wrong side of his thirties, 37 or so, and his leg cramps were probably going to be an issue at his age.

Duty of care will probably be the reason. You cant force an injured batsman to stay out there even if he was injured.

Joe Root retired ill in the SCG test 4 years ago come back on and batted. Then went off again and didn't come back.
Yeah and that’ll be the way they run with it. You can’t accuse them of any wrongdoing because it’s in the rule book and you cant force a batsmen to stay out there. But clearly it was tactical because Silk had no idea about it and was fine to continue.

That’s where it’s unsportsmanlike. They’ve sent him out there obviously pre-injured and exploited the injury to have a bet both ways, Silk the better batsman if he gets on strike and the runner for the last ball. That’s not using the rule how it should be used. Winning on a rule technicality and not on the field is a s**t way to play sport and I don’t rate it at all. It’s on par with the Indians using the concussion sub to sub out Pant for Saha to keep, and Pant comes out to bat second innings. Fair in the rulebook but the height of unsportsmanlike behaviour

If I was rating the Strikers tonight:

Carey : 1.5/10
Head: 0.5/10
Siddle: 7/10
Wells: 8.5/10
Renshaw: 3.5/10
Cockbain: 8/10
Kelly: 4/10
Fawad: 6.5/10
Short: 2/10
Conway: 6/10
Thornton: 6/10

The ironic thing is , the test players inserted looked lethargic and performed poorly. Agree with most on this thread , Weatherald and Nielsen probably would have performed better than those two tonight. Even as test players I reckon it takes a couple of games and for some around a good 5-6 games to get into the groove of T20 cricket. Not buying into that you can adjust your games straight away and be at top notch for either version of the game.

But there was no way those players were getting a gig ahead of those two.

Had Adelaide made the final would have been tempted to drop Head .

The ironic thing is , the test players inserted looked lethargic and performed poorly. Agree with most on this thread , Weatherald and Nielsen probably would have performed better than those two tonight. Even as test players I reckon it takes a couple of games and for some around a good 5-6 games to get into the groove of T20 cricket. Not buying into that you can adjust your games straight away and be at top notch for either version of the game.

Carey's first game back for the Strikers was good, he scored 67 and put on nearly 150 with his opening partner.
But I don't think Head has even made double digits in his few games yet...

Head took a pretty good catch on the boundary. Maybe round it up to 1?

Carey missed Kerr first ball and was terrible with the gloves all night.

Can't see how he goes above Head or anyone TBH.

Finishing up some work, watching the BBL from the hard drive.
The Sixers were lucky
Careys keeping & Renshaws missed sitter were just awful.
Inglis will be the Australian keeper by the start of next summer I think.

Last edited:

Short 2/10 but if Carey takes the ball he is the match winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Sixers were lucky
Then Inglis will make a mistake at international level at some point and everyone will also be calling for his immediate sacking. The best keepers in Australia always seem to be playing at state level, regardless of who is in the international sides, funny that.

Then Inglis will make a mistake at international level at some point and everyone will also be calling for his immediate sacking. The best keepers in Australia always seem to be playing at state level, regardless of who is in the international sides, funny that.
I think Inglis is a better keeper.
Having said that, I'm not a Carey hater and hope he does well.

The trouble is, he's making too many mistakes.
Started off the Ashes well and then missed catches, a run out and a few he didn't got for.
I have no problems with his batting.

The fact that people are still talking about replacing him shows that he's isn't doing a good job.

When our test keeper misses a regulation stumping from the first ball of the game and said batsman goes
on to win the game, people are going to talk.

"a" mistake. No they won't

"a" mistake per match - then yes, rightly they will.

Have you been on this board during a match? I maintain my statement, the best keeper in most Australian's eyes is always the one that is playing state cricket, regardless of what era you watched in.

Yep - and I have been one of those critical of Carey.

He is generally very good inside his own "box". But his footwork is heavy, he doesn't skip quickly to his right and take balls on his inside hip (right handed batsman). As a result first slip needs to be a lot finer than it should for a better keeper.

That is the technical keeping stuff.

His hands are "ok" - brad haddin level ok.

If his batting turns up and averages 40+ then you can excuse some technical flaws. IF he is going to average 30 - then it is insufficient.

Right now - i am less worried about his batting - but his keeping isn't just some odd mistakes - it is ingrained technique issues prone to repeated errors.

White ball cricket - competency is less required - red ball cricket it becomes critical - it nearly cost us a test

The Sixers were lucky

Carey is easily one of the most overrated cricketers in Australia and that's coming from a one-eyed South Australian.

Have you been on this board during a match? I maintain my statement, the best keeper in most Australian's eyes is always the one that is playing state cricket, regardless of what era you watched in.
Only when they keep ******* up.
I doubt that was the case when Healy and Gillyq were keeping.

Only when they keep ******* up.
I doubt that was the case when Healy and Gillyq were keeping.
I'm sure if this board existed in those days then any mistake would be amplified like it is now. Unless Healy or Gilly never had a poor run of form behind the stumps (which they both did), then this board would have ripped them to shreds. I remember when a few on here thought Haddin was super unlucky to not play more games because of Gilly, and then complained that he wasn't smacking 100s every Test following Gilly's retirement; he was the whipping boy on this board for quite a while.

I'm sure if this board existed in those days then any mistake would be amplified like it is now. Unless Healy or Gilly never had a poor run of form behind the stumps (which they both did), then this board would have ripped them to shreds. I remember when a few on here thought Haddin was super unlucky to not play more games because of Gilly, and then complained that he wasn't smacking 100s every Test following Gilly's retirement; he was the whipping boy on this board for quite a while.
It's Big Footy mate.
You're either a champion or a spud.

No different to a batter or bowler whose not performing.
Some of the vitriol thrown at these guys is terrible IMO.

Back