BBL The Final Perth Scorchers v Sydney Sixers @ Marvel Stadium Fri Jan 28 1919 ACT

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok, well why didn't one of the best players in the world have a contract, but Evan Dando (the worst player in the BBL) and an assistant coach did?

That makes no sense

Avendando was part of the excess pool that was established for COVID reasons and they are available for all sides. You would have to ask the sixers why smith wasn’t signed he should have been but neither was Starc too.

They paid Lyon a retainer to watch them play all year

Lyon doesn’t play limited overs cricket for Australia. That would be the Sixers reason. I don’t agree but that’s their reasoning

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
If the Sixers weren't hit with covid and a few injuries, it wouldn't even be an issue.

That's why I'm in favour of the hardship exemption for times like this

It's not hard.

NBA does it

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Marion Pickett played just debut game in an AFL Grand Final. But one shouldn’t compare AFL to BBL cricket.

I agree with what the state associations did in their vote . You can’t have a player with no contract pre-Comp coming in and playing as a top up.

This season was a unique situation more so than last season. It won’t happen next season as Cricket Australia will want to avoid the messy situation that occurred.

Hamez

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty sure Lyon played the last H&A game of the season vs Brisbane.

I think Smith could’ve joined the replacement player pool but other teams would’ve had the opportunity to pick him and the 6’s didn’t want that.

Hardship?

They had Philippe and Silk out.
Edwards isn't a first pick.

Wouldn't been an issue if they contracted Smith.

Could have easily just not signed Pope or Edwards. They made their choice

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't mind this suggestion by Henriques.
Maybe cap it at two though.

"Sixers captain Moises Henriques believes there should also be rule changes to allow state squad players to sit on a BBL roster without taking an extra player spot, so as not to impact a team’s ability to contract an Australian player".

I don't like the idea of an auction for international players though.

Grozzy

Debutant
Feb 6, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Can't say I have much sympathy for the Sixers. For the last 2 years they've been gifted home finals games, while Thunder have missed out on theirs.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
I thought I would like to do a players rating for last nights game

Patterson: 4.5/10
Inglis: 4.5/10
Mitch Marsh: 2/10
Munro : 1.5/10
Ashton Turner: 9.5/10
Laurie Evans: 10/10
Agar: 8/10
Jhye Richardson: 8/10
Andrew Tye: 8.5/10
Behrendorff: 7/10
Hatzoglou: 8.5/10

If perth keep the bulk of that bowling attack +reserves (Morris, Kelly) be jeez thats going to be a tough team to beat next year. If you were other teams you would be enquiring about the fringe players of the Scorchers.

As one can see from that scoreboard, the top 4 had pretty average games. Patterson and Inglis get 4.5 and not lower because they did a good job in the outfield with Patto taking a pretty important match in the context of the game.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
For all the talk of the "depleted" Sixers, the fact their attack (boasting 4+internationals and Kerr) couldn't capitalise when we were 4/bugger all was what lost them the game.

In both finals they lost it with the ball, Smith wasn’t saving them from either loss.

Winning the toss and bowling first at Marvel, that’s a match loser right there!

Beau_Waters for PM

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
For all the talk of the "depleted" Sixers, the fact their attack (boasting 4+internationals and Kerr) couldn't capitalise when we were 4/bugger all was what lost them the game.
Agree the Sixers missed a trick. If they broke the Turner/Evans partnership early things would have been very different.

Or to look at it another way, the fact that the Scorchers could put 170 on the board after losing their top 4 - which included their 3 highest run scorers of the season in Patterson, Munro & Marsh - shows the depth of batting and resilience under pressure.

Beau_Waters for PM

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
It was said in the Fox commentary last night that you only need 2 good batters and 2 good bowlers to win a T20 game. We could debate the nuance of that but I agree with the sentiment that it only takes a couple of strong performances in 20 overs with bat or ball to turn a game.

Perth's bowling lineup has always been a talking point of their success but this year I actually think it was the ability to consistently put good scores on the board that won them the title. With contributions across the lineup without an over-reliance on one player to fire. Of the top 10 run scorers for BBL11 only one Scorcher features and that is Kurtis Patterson who finished 10th highest.

The Scorchers team scores for the season were: 157, 195, 182, 167, 206, 152 (from 16.5 overs), 166, 180, 143, 133 (18 overs), 152 (19), 196, 127, 156 (18.4), 189 and 171. I don't have comparative numbers for other teams but my hunch would be that Perth's totals stack up pretty well. Plenty of 160+ scores there and only a couple of batting failures, but even then there weren't any sub-120 capitulations.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
At worst they had a couple of blokes out there that couldn’t run and were missing Silk and Philippe. It was hardly a club cricket team like many are claiming. Batting was always going to be an issue so I’ll give them that, Abbott 6, Dwarshuis 7 and the two openers were always going to be a bit sketchy but they had a full strength bowling setup and enough experience to win from 4/24 for sure. Injuries played a part in their inability to chase 170 but it certainly didn’t lose them the game when it was up for grabs

Back