BBL07

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the novelty just wears off eventually. People want to see bowlers bowling fast and batsmen smashing them around the park, whereas most games these days involve predominantly involve spinners bowling darts, quicks bowling slower balls, and batsman agriculturally slogging. Don't get me wrong - these guys are very talented bowlers and they're using tactics that are well suited to win games. But it can get very boring to watch.

For me though, the biggest issue with the BBL is that the majority of fans don't really care about the results. Being a sporting fan forum obviously there'll be some guys on BigFooty who get quite passionate about their chosen franchise, but for the general population it's more about the entertainment side than the results. When the Swans went 0-6 I felt every loss, but when the Sixers went 0-6 I really couldn't care less, so long as the games were entertaining. I don't hear anywhere near as many people refer to a BBL team as "we" in the same way that they do for an AFL team.

I'd also suggest that the fact that none of the Sydney or Melbourne teams are particular good this year is going to discourage more casuals than other teams.

I think the novelty just wears off eventually. People want to see bowlers bowling fast and batsmen smashing them around the park, whereas most games these days involve predominantly involve spinners bowling darts, quicks bowling slower balls, and batsman agriculturally slogging. Don't get me wrong - these guys are very talented bowlers and they're using tactics that are well suited to win games. But it can get very boring to watch.

For me though, the biggest issue with the BBL is that the majority of fans don't really care about the results. Being a sporting fan forum obviously there'll be some guys on BigFooty who get quite passionate about their chosen franchise, but for the general population it's more about the entertainment side than the results. When the Swans went 0-6 I felt every loss, but when the Sixers went 0-6 I really couldn't care less, so long as the games were entertaining. I don't hear anywhere near as many people refer to a BBL team as "we" in the same way that they do for an AFL team.

I feel like that is the next stage of the BBL, people actively supporting teams rather than just going to watch 6s and flashing bails light up. And it is a very important step if the BBL is to be sustainable.

Another thrilling game. 10 games is too many. Sides will just give up like the Stars have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been crazy how the Stars have continually lost in virtually the exact same fashion

Pretty discouraging for fans

Last edited:
Might be an unpopular opinion but I reckon 8 games per team a season is better than 10 games per team. Playing each team once and having one double up to allow for the Sydney/Melbourne derbies to be repeated.

Now feels about the right time for finals to be starting for me. And you don't have to deal with the farcical situation where BBL players miss the BBL finals to play International T20s when there is far more public interest in the BBL.

Instead we have the situation where there is still a week of home and away matches to go. Most people might be happy with that, but I'm definitely ready for the semis to kick off.

They should have only expanded the season to 10 games when it becomes a 10 team comp imo.

Might be an unpopular opinion but I reckon 8 games per team a season is better than 10 games per team. Playing each team once and having one double up to allow for the Sydney/Melbourne derbies to be repeated.

Now feels about the right time for finals to be starting for me. And you don't have to deal with the farcical situation where BBL players miss the BBL finals to play International T20s when there is far more public interest in the BBL.

Instead we have the situation where there is still a week of home and away matches to go. Most people might be happy with that, but I'm definitely ready for the semis to kick off.

They should have only expanded the season to 10 games when it becomes a 10 team comp imo.
Agree 100%

The more games there are the more spread out the premiership table gets. Teams are out of finals running for longer, more dead rubbers, clashes more with the one day series.

8 games was perfect. Allows each team 4 home games.

Agreed.

8 is ideal. 10 is just too drawn out.

Surprising that its happening.

Renegades also get White back.

One day after a ODI and the guys are all flying to a different city. Before rejoining

Hurricanes will win the comp, I'm placing my bet...

Heaviest scoring team in the comp, improving game by game with the ball and in the field (they were awful in the first few games), and T20 is the most random of the formats. Heaps of mistakes in the last two games - how a team can be that inept against Adelaide and still get within 11 runs of the top team in the comp scoring 176 is beyond me, and it was that middle overs session against the Scorchers, where they made Agar look like Jim Laker, that killed them, because they were otherwise quite evenly matched. Lots of valuable info would have been taken from the losses, every player in the last two games contributed significantly in at least one match (except Short, who dominated the previous 7) and they only need to beat the 1-8 Stars (please cricket gods, no jinxes) to get in. Then it's just two matches of their best cricket...just ask the Heat in BBL02 how that worked...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back