missionpossible

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2004
sheidow park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Ok guys this may take some time and by that i mean weeks. Hopefully the moderators are patient.
These are purely my views on players which is formed from watching championship games and yesterdays games so my rankings are ignorant to players who have had a massive finish to the season at local level.
My rankings also ignore state league players. Also Simpkin and Witherden not included because I have not watched them play.
I will use this pape for the list of players and the following posts will have my opinions on the player.

1. Hugh McCluggage - Ess
2. Andrew McGrath - Bris
3. Tim Taranto - Fre
4. Will Brodie - GC
5. Sam Petreviski-seton - Carlton
6. Jack Bowes - GC - matched Academy bid.
7. Oliver Florent - Rich
8. Jordan Galluci - GWS
9. Willem Drew - PA (gc lose pick 8 matching pick 6)
10. Patrick Kerr - SK
11. Jarred Berry - NM
12. Todd Marshall - WC
13. Jack Scrimshaw - Adel
14. Zac Sproule -GWS match Hawthorns bid.
15. Dylan Clarke - Haw
16. Josh Rotham - GWS - (GWS lose pick 15 matching pick 14 but still have 16.)
17. Joe Atley - Syd
18. Ryan Garthwaite - GWS matched Bulldogs bid
19. Ben Ainsworth - Bulldogs
20. Myles Poholke - Brisbane

I will post the rest of the picks now befire trade week opens. I will do write ups on them as I find time.

21 - Tim English - Ess
22 - Will Setterfield - GWS matched Bris bid. I have done this draft with the assuption Gws will only have 5 picks. This is the fifth.
23 - Brennan Cox - Bris
24 - Jacob Allison - Bris match GC bid
25 - Kobe Mutch - GC
26 - Griffin Louge - GC
27 - Callum Brown - Coll match Carl bid.
28 - Shai Bolton - Carl
29 - Sam Powell-Pepper - GC
30 - Josh Battle - Melb
31 - Harry Perryman - GC
32- Will Hayward - NM
33 - Zac Fisher - WC
34 - Luke Bunker - Haw
35 - Quinton Narkle - Gee
36 - Daniel Venables - Syd
37 - Ben Long WB

Down to this point I think you can pick these guys and expect them to become AFL footballers. I think everyone could add a dozen names to that list that they would rate.

Last edited:
Ok guys this may take some time and by that i mean weeks. Hopefully the moderators are patient.
These are purely my views on players which is formed from watching championship games and yesterdays games so my rankings are ignorant to players who have had a massive finish to the season at local level.
My rankings also ignore state league players.
I will use this pape for the list of players and the following posts will have my opinions on the player.

1. Hugh McCluggage - Ess
Would be mad to trade out their number 1 pick.

Hugh McCluggage - I have had him a clear cut nunber one ever since the carnival and yesterday did not makd me change his mind. A pendlebury type midfielder in that he does a lot of work in traffic without being that real inside pkayer. Has an outside game buf it is not the outside game of a Gaff. Goes in for the ball when he needs to butis a bit timid in the way he goes about it. I would sit him down and get him to watch one of Gaffs early game then sit him down and make hin warct Gaffs round 23 game against the crows and say that is how you have to tougheb up. Skills is quite reasonable without being elite. What is elite is ability to read the gane and work physically to the right position.
Potential to be a top 10 player in the league. Wost case result is he ends up being a high forward like Breust. (Excluding injuries). I am quite confident that it will be closer to top 10 than to Breust.
He is blessed in that he will be able to slip straight into afl football as a high forward next year before being a full time mid in tear 3 or 4.

Andrew McGrath - A nice little unique package. Speed, endurance and inside toughness at the ball. Not very often you get that , usually the slower guys do the inside work. Judd and Dangerfield were/are like that . McGrath does not tend to explode from the inside like them. He has exceptionally quick hands that releases team mates rather than breaking himself. What he does that those guys didn't do was long link running with greater outside smarts. Tends to burn the ball a little bit because there are times he forgets to take the foot off of thd pedal and wait for the game to unfold in front of him rather than making it happen. When he starts afl he will have a high clanger count. Just accept that with time that should improve.
Upside is we have another Ben Cousins on our hands . An elite runner who can find the football inside and out. Worst case is you end up with Charlie Cameron (adel). I will lean more towards the cousins end but with a kick that is not up to the same standard but quicker hands.
When he arrives at a club they will work on his poise but hopefully not temper it to much that he stops taking the game on.
He will start off of half back nexf year and should be in the mids within 3 years. Hopefully his club won't keep him back because he is good in that position.

Tim Taranto - after watching the carnival i could not see why this guy was not being rated highly. The end of his season has seen others start to rate him up towards my lofty heights . The first time you watch Taranto you are torn between a good game played and a kid that does not appear to have any special traits. Each time i watch him i am more and more impressed. He does not look quick or strong yet beats others to the ball. He gets in hard at the ball first and gets it often. A bit like Dane Swan in that the individual skill set does not look great but the impact on a game is. Goal kicking mid who is good overhead in the forward line and then can be found under the pack in the middle. Don't expect any specky highlight reals but he will more than likely keep popping up with the ball at important times in the game .
Upside is he becomes a Dand Swan but more potent up forward. Down side is he becomes Mark Lecras. Again i lean more towards the swan end of the scale
He should slot straight in as a high forward and be in the mids within four years.

Will Brodie - clearace king. Come grand final day you want him in the middle winning the ball. He is going to be a brute of a man. However he is more than a clearance king. He spreads well. He does not have the pace to base his game around outside football but he is quite capable of getting the football in transition. Nothing special other than he can get his hands on the ball first at a stoppage which is a pretty handy thing to be able to do. Good vision in tight which is where he gets to s level above most.
Upside is Josh Kennedy (sydney). He has the potential to be elite at that inside stuff. Downside not quite sure who to say but lets go with picken.
Transition to afl will not be as smooth as the the players before him. It is three years before he should be able to do his clearance stuff at afl level although he could do a wines and come in and play from day dot. His problem is he is a midfielder and he will struggle to play another role unlike those above him so he m as y struggle for games early.

Sam Petrevski-seton - I find him a hard one to rate. He has as much potential as the guys above him but I am probably reluctant to go big on him because I have in the past been guilty of over rating wafl mids.
I love the way he can zip through traffic and when he kicks it looks so classy. He actually burns the ball a bit more than you think but hopefully with experience this will decrease. What I really like about his game is how hard he attacks the contested ball and then win in a deliver with poise. Not many can do that of that build. Has very good apeed but tends to break lines by cutting through traffic rather than outside run . He gets a lot of his possessions through the centre of the ground.
Upside is he can be a Peter Burgoyne dominant midfielder but i suspect he will be always be prone to have the odd game he goes poorly. Downside is he becomes a Melksham. Again i would be confident that it is closer to the high end.
Should step into an outside role for the first four years before becoming a genuine mid.

great write ups missionpossible enjoyable reading. is this a phantom draft or power rankings type list? ie. who you rate as the best players in order or who you think each club should be drafting for needs.

like the player comparisons, lets you visualize what type of player they may become.

McGrath is the one i want at the lions but if the bombers take him would be very happy with McCluggage.

Yeah generally rankings. With some weighting to where they will go in the draft. I have my massive slider and some that i would take a bit earlier than projected. After the next pick it gets fun

Jack Bowes- He has not lived up to expectations but then very few ever do when the expectations are so high. Like a lot of the allies kids they have had no consistancy to their football. It is rediculas to expect a 17 yo to do ais. Club football. State championships. Allies national carnival all within 3 months and expect them to excell. Especially where most of it is on the road.
Ok lets get back to his football. It is oh so smooth but at times he moves so smooth that it looks like he is not trying. A bit of Goddard to his game in that respect in that they don't look to work hard but you can't get the number of posessions they get if they are not working. Probably more skillful than most of those above him but has not put games together as wel and upside probably not as good. To me he does most of his good work at stoppages.

Upside to be as good as Travis Boak as in be on the verge of being elite but not quite getting there. Downside yeah sometimes i get stumped as I generally hate player comparisons and i am struggling here. Lets say worst case is Arron Young. Again leaning more towards the boak end but not with the confidence i have in the top 4.

Pick 7 this is where the draft gets interesting. I think thd firsy 6 pick themselves and then I expect there to be massive differences in opinion as to who should come next. I have not considered needs as I doubt this pick will belong to richmond in a couple of weeks.

Oliver Florent - ok i have taken him in a flyer but the fun of this is not doing it as what would happen by popularity. Unlike the top 6 Oliver comes with the risk of the pick being a relative flop. I love the way he has physical strength in the contest greater than what his physical build looks to have. Needs to finish of his work by foot better but I think that will come with the slightest improvement in his kicking. Really good in the transition contest and makes the game easier for those around him. He has the ability to break out of a pack run and kick over the back of the defender. He should thrive on sling shot football but still be at home when the ball is tough and and the contest is brutal
Upside is I can see him being a Dayne Beams type where he can really influence the contest. At worst he becomes Amon and shows glimpses but doesn't quite put it together.
Probably earns his stripes in the state league at the begining of the season but should work his way into the 22 as a high forward

GWS with this pick is in an interesting position because they have some very solid options to come with their academy kids that cover back forward and mid but they are more solid citizen type picks. Thus i have gone the high risk but with something special.

Jordan Galluci - yeah this is a lot higher than he is likely to go but in each draft there is always a player that they reach for and Jordan could be that guy. He shows snippets of being right up there with the best in this draft but the b goes missing for chunks of the game. Like Florent he does not finish as well as you want. He has great power and speed away from the contest. He can create movement from nothing or turn a slow piece of play into an explosive attack. For his size he shows great strength and if he can add poise inside he will be a delight to watch. I suspect his engine is questionable so likely never to be an elite midfielder but could get close. Another who can break a game open. It is just a matter of can ge do it often enough.
Upside is you get a Stevie Johnson who can grab a game and rip it apart. Downside is you end up with a Matthew White.
Likely to spend the first season in the state league before getting the taste of afl in his second year before being ready in his third year. Expect him to be good but not to reach stevie j levels. Maybe track a bit better than Rory Atkins is tracking.

That post took longer because the inlaws dropped in un announced

Willem Drew - well this would send the Port Board into meltdown on draft night. There is nothing here to excite the casual observer. The lack of x factor makes this look stupid. He may not be the best player available but is the best of what port need and that is someone with a big frame that can play midfield and play team first football. In the carnivals he has spent a lot of time down dack because he is prepared to do a job for the team. He does the basics of the game well. Clean inside good give by hand. It is a shame he is not athletic enough to explode from the stoppage but you can only play with the athletic abilities you are given. What he does do that others don't is create time and space for others by using his body off of the contest. Good foot skills. He looks slow but the game slows down for him. He will not be in any highlight reals and those outside of his team will not appreciate how good he is.
Upside is a David Mundy type who can play half back or midfield and do it at a high level. Downside is you end up with with a plodder off of half back.
Probably end up around a Tyson level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is very similar to my power rankings players may move two or three spots away from my rankings. The top 8 are the same except same except 7 and 8 have swapped around Drew is 11 behind two talls.

At 9 without a slider we come in in a s**t spot. One the night you would expect one of those before Drew to still be available.

Patrick Kerr - The best key forward in the draft. A couple of others have scope to be better. IMO he will acheive greater heights that thd others. I think he has more natural smarts to get to where the ball is going more often which will make him a lot harder to defend. May not be an athletic star but neither is Kennedy (WC) or Schulz and plays with a similar style to those two. He is going to be very strong and he is going to make it hard for defenders to get an effective spoil against him. He has good balance so he should be able to get effective kicks whilst under pressure. Capable overhead. His ground level play for his size is sufficient. My only fear is his endurance. Has reasonable speed without being quick but once in front on the lead you won't get around him. I have no testing results on these kids. To justify this ranking i want to see a beep test in the mid to high 13s.
Upside you get Josh Kennedy. Down side you get Liam Jones. I project that he will probably end up being about Jay Schulz level without he screamers though.

Last edited:
Jarred Berry - this is very much a midfielders draft and this guy may not end up being a midfielder which he is a chance of. He is more likely ti play that high defender who is important in transition. A bit like Drew in that there is nothing wgereby you sit there and go wow but when he gets it you expect it to end up in the hands of a team mate. Boring but effective footballer. Very calm in heavy traffic and waits for an option to open up rather than making an option open up. Is good in transition play although he is not the one to break the line but he can set it up for those that do. I have heard comparisons to bontempeli and they are way off of the mark. Think more of a slow Shaun Burgoyne , see i said i hate player comparisons. You want to have some speed around him. Not necessarily quick legs but players who can read the ball.
Upside. I dont have a clear comparison but lets say the best you get is a midfielder we ith class that the opposition dont want getting his hands full. Downside you end up with a hslf back flanker who play a 70 games without cementing a spot in the team. Realistically he is a solid high defender like Enright but not quite that good.

Todd Marshall - West Coast start to implement their plan to replace Josh Kennedy. At almost 200cm Marshall is an appealing prospect along the lines of Daniher and Moore. Looks to have a slimmer build than these two and not take the big pack mark that these two can take. Marshall is a pretty good mark but not quite great, which sums up a lot of his game and sums up why he is not top 5 even though he has potential to justify that selection, I just think that would be a very big reach amongst definite picks. He is marks the ball at its highest point with nice straight arms which will make him hard to spoil. He gets his frame into good positions in the marking contest but lack of strength at the moment means he can get pushed aside a bit to easy. He will have to spend a lot of time working on his strength. Kicking is good enough and with his set shots you expect him to kick the goals. At ground level for near on 200cm he is elite, reasonably clean, very nimble for his size which is where a lot of defenders may struggle against him at AFL level. I think he has a fair appetite for the contest which is the major thing I look for in Key Position Players. He generally players 2 dimensional football and will need to add the third dimension to his game. The make or break for him is if he can increase his work rate off of the ball. Coming from so far back I think this is a fair chance.
Upside - you end up with a player of the quality of Daniher but not the scope to be a star like Daniher has. That 60 - 70 goal forward which is pushing him to be close to the elite. Downside, you end up with a Mason Shaw. He is the first player picked that I think could be delisted without playing a game. Now where do I think he will end up, I thimk he wont quite build up the physical strength to be a powerhouse full forward but I think he could have a period in his career where he will be a 40-60 goal forward. He will spend the first 3 years in the state league building up his body and his running patterns.

Jack Scrimshaw - this again to me shows we have got to the area of the draft where you end up with a player not good enough. If you look with rose coloured glasses you can see Scrimshaw becoming a champion. He has the size, he has the lateral movement and the ball skills and the poise to be elite. Where I struggle with Scrimshaw is his ability to get forward of the ball and provide attacking link play. He is the one to start the play rather than the one who cashes in on it. If he is going to be elite he needs to add that to his game. He likes the ball coming at him rather than reading the flow of the ball and cashing in. Good in the contest, poised at ground level. Massive scope on what he can be and what he will be and I think a club will take a shot on what he can be rather than his real worth which is probably 10 picks below this.
Upside - Mundy, very smooth moving and classy user. Downside you end up with a Broadbent but with a more reliable kick. Realistically you end up with someone like Hanley (Bris) who at times just dominates games but will take a long time to get to that level and even once at that level he will still be inconsistent.

Last edited:
Zac Sproule - athletic key forward who can catch a ball and kick straight. More of a hit up forward in the nick reiwoldt mode the the work from the goal square. Has an exceptional motor and for his size his agility is ok. His game lacks power but there is a chance that comes from size. Also needs to really work on his core strength. If he fails up forward he could become a lock down key defender as long as he does not have to play on the power forwards . For lack of a better term he is a chf and not a ff.
Upside is you end up with a nick reiwoldt although the chance of this is very slim. Downside you end up with a tyrone vickery who never really picks up afl and frustrates the crao out of you. More than likely he is almost as good as griffiths but able to string games together. I see a nick reiwoldt style game but with the success of justin kositschke (yeah i forget how to spell his name) gws get to have a free swing at what is a chance of being elite without rusking that much.

I don't mind him just not a fan on him being top ten based on the games I have seen. There a a few things about his game that I don't like and i have punished him for that where others appear willing to turn a blind eye to it.
Well you've turned a blind eye to a few prospects in front of Ainsworth, so why open your eyes with Ainsworth. :p

Yes all the fun of the game. There are times we are right and wrong. I would rather be right or wrong by what I think than just put out a conforming list.
I actually think the top 6 are a class above, then there is a group of about 25 with very little between them and I would not blink an eye in one was taken at pick 7 or pick 30. I actually think this is a very good draft.

Dylan Clarke - he is a work horse and nothing more, but boy a team needs a work horse, they help those with talent shine. Very good at getting his hands on the ball at stoppages and distributes it fairly well without having lightning quick hands. However this is not his only trick, he spreads well, he gets involved in the transition football and is a sound user of the ball by foot. He is not an elite user by foot, he just spots up the targets he should spot up. Lacks that exciting leg speed but can run all day every day. Once he gives of the ball he does his bit to physically protect the ball carrier which is a natural thing for him to do and to be able to buy a team mate time and space is like gold when games are hot. I love his physicality and his determination. One thing that will always endear me to a player is his determination, not just in the physical contest but the determination to run to a spot even though you are physically spent.
Upside you get a Jordan Lewis, no bells and whistles but they can have a massive influence on a game and people will be sprouting off how good those around them played without noticing how good they played. Downside you end up with an Andrew Moore, an almost footballer who cant quite crack a midfield spot and really cant play any other position on the field. I actually think he will make it purely because he appears to be so determined to make it. First year to be spent in the state league before two years in and out of the team before progressing to holding down a midfield spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back