Coach Be vewy vewy quiet we're hunting coaches.

If we can't get Clarko - who do you want as next NMFC coach?

• Leon Cameron

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Mark "Chocco" Williams

Votes: 87 32.0%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • James Hird

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Scott Burns

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jesus

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Satan

Votes: 24 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Gary Ayres

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Supercoach Patch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No thank you.

He has the game record holder, elite playmaker and arguably the best week-in week out preparer in history as a development coach. That's enough, plus his Da' as Hearts to hearts said.

I think it’s good to have somebody outside the club and family to have a chat with.

Which doesn’t really help.
It depends.

There is certainly an amount of resolve and resilience that it can create. If you push a little deeper into that idea, it can readily identify things that within and outside your control. Don't get down on things outside your control, focus on the things you can.

Of course, if you're only pushing "stop whining and get on with it" then it can be too much as well. How you feel about a situation, negative feelings especially, reinforce desired direction in life. We rate them negatively but they are actually integral to experience of life. So ya gotta acknowledge them.

As with all things, balance is important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And more to the point a more experience CEO/Board would have not have accepted what Roos was selling - or at the very least not have accepted it without undertaking seriously further DD into all the issues you raise plus other issues like the personality traits of Fagan v Nobes, cultural differences between the clubs etc et
As always Nobes' appointment will just be seen as it just 'didn't work - just bad luck really...' and everyone wants to move on but his and Shaw's appointment needs a lot more dissection, alot more detail as to how the powers at be at the NMFC managed to completely balls up, consecutively, such a critical appointment as the senior coach.
True, but when you're in the moment, it is easy to see how this could have happened. Easy to do it in retrospect of course. I hate hearing the crap about 4 . coaches in 4 years. Brad Scott was there for 10 years, and that relationship has hit the wall, probably from both sides. Don't think anyone can blame the club for that one.

Shaw's appointment also made sense at the time. He was a highly credentialed assistant coach who was able to achieve some unbelievable results. Big wins over Richmond (eventual Premier) and Collingwood (finalist), physical style of footy and nearly making the finals from nowhere, indicated we might have unearthed our own young "Clarkson". What happened the following year is still a mystery to me. Both, the way it unravelled, and the manner in which Shaw walked away due to mental issues, only to quickly reappear at another club.

Noble was also a logical choice for all the reasons already listed in this thread. I would say, if we get this one right, and can appoint some quality people as assistants, list management and footy operations, the last 2-3 years will quickly become a distant memory.

Last edited:
Totally agree with Event Horizon.

Scott went 3-4 years too long IMO and was overdue for finishing up.

Shaw walked out on us for non-football reasons. But I still feel he'd shown enough, notwithstanding the Covid curveball that he wasn't he right person regardless. The 2020 preseason form was poor and by Sydney in the H&A when they did they yearly pop the North bubble act, it was clear his gameplan was mostly bluster and little finesse.

Noble was in the shortlist with a possible perennial bridesmaid in Robert Harvey and a fairly inexperienced operator in Gia. Brisbane's revamping was all the rage and the appointment made sense.

I'm far from an apologist for the club but the only thing I take issue with them out of these appointments was extending Brad Scott in 2017. He was already overcooked.

If i was JHF i'd reach out to him and ask him to mentor him into next season.
I recall when Buckley was weighing up whether to go to North or Collingwood he reached out to a ‘mentor’ in Bruce Abernethy who, to paraphrase, said ‘why would you go to North when you could play for a big club like Collingwood.’

I’d really like the chance of that sort of attitude having any influence whatsoever to be non-existent.

No thank you.

He has the game record holder, elite playmaker and arguably the best week-in week out preparer in history as a development coach. That's enough, plus his Da' as Hearts to hearts said.
Specifically for the emotional/competitive side of things I think Buckley might be a good resource for him. Bucks was a lot of things, good and bad, and I think in retrospect he would understand a lot of the mistakes he made, mistakes JHF might be at risk of making if his competitiveness turns to toxicity towards team mates he doesn't deem up to it.

Specifically for the emotional/competitive side of things I think Buckley might be a good resource for him. Bucks was a lot of things, good and bad, and I think in retrospect he would understand a lot of the mistakes he made, mistakes JHF might be at risk of making if his competitiveness turns to toxicity towards team mates he doesn't deem up to it.
I know I'm being "tribal" but a man who has spurned the North Melbourne Football club both as player and prospective coach is not the man I would appoint as a mentor to a NMFC kid. Especially when that kid will have loud voices actively trying to erode his attachment to the club.

Retort.jpg

Why? He is a bad coach. He might have become a good coach one day and he had some good ideas about how we should play when are a good team but he has no real vision about how to get from point A (where we are) to point B (where he wants us to be). We can't just play point B football and expect to get there eventually. You need to be able to evolve into that kind of football.

Why now? We can't afford to just waste 2 to 3 years on the hope that he will get better, if we add 3 years to everyone's age and then have to start again we will kill a lot of careers and threaten the entire rebuild. There is also rumours that people are aware of that we would lose a number of key young talent if he remains.

I feel bad for him, but his major selling point was meant to be his people skills, his knowledge of football and his organisation skills and it seems these elements were some of the biggest problems, when you added that to inexperience at coaching at this level the board had to act.

Why now with 6 weeks to go? I think it was because Clarkson is available and if we don't act now he might get signed by GWS. It also gives an opportunity to sell some hope and try to repair some relationships with players that have been strained under Noble.

What needs to be unpacked is why Noble was selected in the first place.
Also important to get the new coach bedded in before the start of preseason and the draft and allows time to recruit assistants etc. Can also steal a match on rival clubs that wait until the end of the season to sack their coach.

for those of us who would rather masturbate with sandpaper than listen to Tom Browne can you please briefly summarise?
TLDL (and my ears hurt) Summary:
Ross Lyon has had a phone call from the club
Coach search seems to be far and wide
Buckley not interested with his boys priority
We will seek a Priority pick
Zurharr delayed contract talks until end of season, pumped up potential (only implied) from the WA clubs

TLDL (and my ears hurt) Summary:
Ross Lyon has had a phone call from the club
Coach search seems to be far and wide
Buckley not interested with his boys priority
We will seek a Priority pick
Zurharr delayed contract talks until end of season, pumped up potential (only implied) from the WA clubs
Thanks. Hopefully the coaching appointment triggers some of our soon to be out of contract players to sign on.

Back