Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And dare I say it....Damien Barrett?!? He broke the story early and stuck to his guns - and given the Beams' camp silence - in doing so may very well have alerted the club to this and allowed them to start preparing earlier than perhaps Connors was hoping...i.e. leave it til last minute and have the Lions well and truly in a corner with no room to move. Given Connors' nice little comment that it would "require substantial goodwill from Brisbane" makes me think that was the plan all along; to drop it like a bombshell late in the period and have them hastily wring up a deal, ANY deal, that would've gotten Beams back to the Pies, without a moment's consideration to how Brisbane would've been appropriately compensated for such a loss.

Having said that, I think I will go wash my mouth out with soap now (re: saying something remotely positive about Barrett).

And dare I say it....Damien Barrett?!? He broke the story early and stuck to his guns - and given the Beams' camp silence - in doing so may very well have alerted the club to this and allowed them to start preparing earlier than perhaps Connors was hoping...i.e. leave it til last minute and have the Lions well and truly in a corner with no room to move. Given Connors' nice little comment that it would "require substantial goodwill from Brisbane" makes me think that was the plan all along; to drop it like a bombshell late in the period and have them hastily wring up a deal, ANY deal, that would've gotten Beams back to the Pies, without a moment's consideration to how Brisbane would've been appropriately compensated for such a loss.

Having said that, I think I will go wash my mouth out with soap now (re: saying something remotely positive about Barrett).

Barrett and Crocmedia got the exclusive interviews with Shiel and Beams immediately after trade period. He absolutely got the original scoop from Connors or D'Orazio and they definitely wanted it to come out that way - it was not helpful to the club at all.

And dare I say it....Damien Barrett?!? He broke the story early and stuck to his guns - and given the Beams' camp silence - in doing so may very well have alerted the club to this and allowed them to start preparing earlier than perhaps Connors was hoping...i.e. leave it til last minute and have the Lions well and truly in a corner with no room to move. Given Connors' nice little comment that it would "require substantial goodwill from Brisbane" make me think that was the plan all along; to drop it like a bombshell late in the period and have them hastily wring up a deal that, almost certainly would've ended up a lot worse for Brisbane.

I strongly believe that Barrett was Connors mouth piece, just to slowly desensitize everyone to the notion so it wasn't a nuclear announcement on the Monday morning and to build hype for the Announcement at the Breakfast.

He had both he a sheil ready to do a broadcast from his lounge room after on the trade table, he is really stage managing the whole player movement process.

Leaking to everyone the sheil was going to the blues then making it a huge story that he has chosen the Bombers, I am suss on the whole thing.

Same thing with the Schache scenario.

One thing I'm surprised about is the lack of a statement from Dayne to thank the club ala the posts from Lachie Neale or Chad Wingard last night.

It's generally considered good practice and the classy thing to do.

Edit:

Retracted. Classy statement below.

https://www.instagram.com/beama_9/p/BpDwrXHh1LR/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1n6u34zrlg9k4
I don't see any acknowledgement in that statement about the Club itself or Fagan...all he can talk about are supporters and his team-mates- most of whom are only kids. It is not what people say it is what they don't say that is most powerful in any message. Likewise, the reference by Noble about Lachie and co being young men of great character - is sending a message as well.

Nope. Noble's comments this morning on radio were pretty damning discussing lack of buy-in and needing to build a culture. He sounded pretty disappointed with the whole thing tbh.

For how professional and level headed Noble is in every interview I've heard that's the equivalent of a serious, serious spray.
Any chance of a link that audio someone?

Pretty sure Dayne was at the Orvill family house for the ch 9 interview and spent time in the early evening there waiting for the ph call.
Interesting that families connections. Couple of years ago they were helping out jake Carlisle. Now it’s beama on his return to Melbourne. I know they were close before he left, now beama will no doubt be helping old mates business interests including his app “banta”

Pretty sure Dayne was at the Orvill family house for the ch 9 interview and spent time in the early evening there waiting for the ph call.
Interesting that families connections. Couple of years ago they were helping out jake Carlisle. Now it’s beama on his return to Melbourne. I know they were close before he left, now beama will no doubt be helping old mates business interests including his app “banta”
Beams had featured in the 'angry dad' vids before. It was last year or the year before he was in a couple.
Edit: Not featured but been present in videos

I strongly believe that Barrett was Connors mouth piece, just to slowly desensitize everyone to the notion so it wasn't a nuclear announcement on the Monday morning and to build hype for the Announcement at the Breakfast.

He had both he a sheil ready to do a broadcast from his lounge room after on the trade table, he is really stage managing the whole player movement process.

Leaking to everyone the sheil was going to the blues then making it a huge story that he has chosen the Bombers, I am suss on the whole thing.

Same thing with the Schache scenario.

Perhaps, and with Tom14 above mentioning Barrett getting the exclusive interview deals, you both may be correct.

The silence from both Beams and Connors was deafening though, and it was quite some time before Connors came out with it.

Do not understand why they would delay like that when its all over the press, except that it was not something they wanted released....yet.

Perhaps, and with Tom14 above mentioning Barrett getting the exclusive interview deals, you both may be correct.

The silence from both Beams and Connors was deafening though, and it was quite some time before Connors came out with it.

Do not understand why they would delay like that when its all over the press, except that it was not something they wanted released....yet.

Like they do in politics etc, strategic leaks. Everyone knows the PM is going to be overthrown before it happens. The media soften everyone up for you.

It's part of managing the PR side of things and letting the pressure explode while its still a rumour, then people come to terms with it, you don't have to actually tell all those involved face to face (like Beams repeatedly telling Swan it was rubbish LOL) - then the narrative slowly becomes the story.

I feel like holding it back was an obvious move. In this case - it started talks, fans started dealing with it, the trade room started moving around it and Dayne didn't have to lift a finger. Then they control their official comments, it was all in motion and Dayne still hasn't actually "asked for a trade" - then Connors runs some soft comments 48 hours out, he gets his big reveal at his breakfast and it all sort of just unfolds.

That starts with the media and with Dayne not having to make a comment either way until he is sitting there in a Pies Polo with a big old grin on his face.

Given Beams' popularity with a number of our younger guns, I wonder how Fagan will address his departure within closed walls - this will be a powerful narrative going forward and obviously can't be left as an elephant in the room. There is little doubt that the Club is bitterly disappointed with Beams and feel blindsided by his duplicitous conduct. Fagan was clearly shaken by the Beams flip flop and breakdown in trust in his radio interview following the Barrett scoop. Fagan was incredulous - how could this be - he had just seen him at the weekend for the Berry fundraiser and nothing was said! Noble is clearly upset by what has transpired since. How the hell do they handle this internally?

Simple - Beams went straight to Barrett and blindsided both the Club and Connors...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Beams' popularity with a number of our younger guns, I wonder how Fagan will address his departure within closed walls - this will be a powerful narrative going forward and obviously can't be left as an elephant in the room. There is little doubt that the Club is bitterly disappointed with Beams and feel blindsided by his duplicitous conduct. Fagan was clearly shaken by the Beams flip flop and breakdown in trust in his radio interview following the Barrett scoop. Fagan was incredulous - how could this be - he had just seen him at the weekend for the Berry fundraiser and nothing was said! Noble is clearly upset by what has transpired since. How the hell do they handle this internally?

Fagans way is to be open and honest....he will talk about it with them I have no doubts. He won't let it sit and fester.

BRISBANE LIONS
Ran out of patience with Dayne Beams and made the best of what became a disappointing situation from their perspective. Did well to target and secure Lachie Neale, Lincoln McCarthy and Marcus Adams.
At a glance: Sensible.

COLLINGWOOD
Took the punt Beams could improve them enough to win a flag by paying plenty, while Jordan Roughead is an astute acquisition, covering deficiencies at a low price. Having retained their list they are now on the borderline when it comes to points needed for Isaac Quaynor and Will Kelly after securing picks in the 40s as well as Beams.
At a glance: Bold.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-s-2018-afl-trade-period-20181018-p50aeu.html

So with time to reflect, and to read his eventual Instagram post...Im kind of Meh about the whole era of Beams@Brisbane. Its going to read like a blip in his career timeline.

Perhaps what he said int he video was poor wording, or perhaps he was just emotional at the time. It was a typical Collingwood thing to post it when they did, immediately following the trade. But it sounded like his 4 years he spent here he wasnt fully invested in the club. How could he be when his heart was clearly always set on going 'home'?

We were a convenience at the time, for him to spend time with his father(RIP) and brother, and now hes done with his...mid-career voyage I guess?

Either way, I dont wish him harm but nor do I intend to reflect much on his time here.

I feel Beams always came across as a bit MEH-ish regarding about being with the CLUB.

I have no doubt he loved playing his footy and he blended with the playing group and he was able to apply his profession where he felted he needed to apply it for his personal life (spending time with his family).

Despite all the positive chat regarding where Brisbane is as a club (e.g. the future is very bright, here we come, we are now a destination club etc) its still got nothing to the Melbourne culture. He was already getting to the stage of being a big fish in a giant ocean down there when we got him, instead of being the whale in a duck pond like its up here. Always got the sense that he missed that and that he missed that Victorian (or footy heartland) cultural element.

I'm sad Brisbane have lost him, and given how things transpired with it coming from almost nowhere to the point he is gone, its a left field event. But given his stature when we got him, I can't say I'm gobsmacked on completely shocked. He just wanted to go back where he deeply wanted to be.

Perhap that's influenced by his wife and kids, perhaps its family. Doesn't matter to me. That's his family. I ain't going to hate or swear hatred on him because he wants to do best for his family.

I wish nothing but the best for him and his family.

The only thing that pisses me off is the price that we paid to get him.

Now...... if you tell me that Eddie has been planning this for a while, that's when I get pissed. They now got the two high price picks and one of their favourite boys BACK. At Brisbane's expense..

Feeling let down/used watching him reiterate where his heart has been. Disappointing stuff. see you later Beamer, glad you didn't come back for the extra year now.

Barrett and Crocmedia got the exclusive interviews with Shiel and Beams immediately after trade period. He absolutely got the original scoop from Connors or D'Orazio and they definitely wanted it to come out that way - it was not helpful to the club at all.
Is Eddie's influence waning? Footy show might be canned he doesnt seem to be the centre of everything. Then again we have to put up with Barrett. It's like choosing between Stalin or Hitler.

Good Point. The problem seems, imo, so many of our young guns have shown on social media that they approve of what he's done as it's all in the name of family & their profession is just a game. He has become their leader. His "ducklings" who fawn over him & constantly blow him love hearts on social media are now part of HIS family, lifetime friends, brothers. I believe Beams is a master manipulator. The kids need a solid debriefing, by experts.

I read here, the year he played 2 games, the Club involved him in recruiting .... WTF? To me it's akin to the Americans handing over Foreign Policy to a Russian defector.

IMO the bloke is a conniving individual, an enemy of BBFFC. Someone wrote we ought put Matherson or Robertson on him to test him out, HA! Matherson was the first player (also in the first 10 posts) to comment on his imo bullshit soppy post on Insta love letter/apology today. Matherson sent him 2 love hearts wtf? Robertson I believe sends him plenty of love hearts to his master also. Stick someone on him who has seen through the bull*&^%.

After Beams left, Witherden posted on his own Insta, singing his praises for Beams. Then today he posted on Beams Insta love letter/apology to the Lions a lump of cheese and a rat ...... what's all that about? More subterfuge?

Unquestionably, Beams has had a deep & profound affect on most of the young Lions. How sad that these "kids" have had imo, simply been played

This is the same Dane Beams who was involved in some way with a highly distasteful alleged incident after the 2010 GF. Do your own research.

To be fair they have seen the bloke broken down and in tears and know the depth of depression. A lot of the gushing is to show support to him as they would know he would be feeling bad about leaving. Im impressed our culture encourages that rather than the customary clip we wpuld have given publically. Alot mentioned him being a mentor and learning from him too, i dont think they are under his spell, I think he had a positive impact on their career and their confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back