Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liam Hemsworth's video announcing his $1m donation popped up on my FB feed and I thought it was the most self-indulgent, prattish thing ever. Not to mention that he earned ~$70m last year, so his $1m is the equivalent of someone on $70k donating $1k (and that's ignoring that someone on $70k probably needs more of theirs for necessities). It's good, but it's hardly his last few dollars.

To be honest in this circumstance I'm all for the dojnations regardless of the incentive because it's definitely needed. But beyond that, how the hell did Liam hemsworth make $70 million in a year! Is he a massive star dropping three hits a year and I missed it?

To be honest in this circumstance I'm all for the dojnations regardless of the incentive because it's definitely needed. But beyond that, how the hell did Liam hemsworth make $70 million in a year! Is he a massive star dropping three hits a year and I missed it?

Disney would have paid him most of that. And he'd get a cut of Thor merchandise and other things. They also tend to have plenty of other business ventures, he does lots of bodybuilding foods, etc.

Disney would have paid him most of that. And he'd get a cut of Thor merchandise and other things. They also tend to have plenty of other business ventures, he does lots of bodybuilding foods, etc.

Oh is it Chris hems worth and not his brother? OK that makes more sense

Unless you're in favour of aggressively progressive taxes on the wealthy and guillotines, then not much will change.

Unless you're in favour of aggressively progressive taxes on the wealthy and guillotines, then not much will change.

Soon as they hit 1 Billion we start taking off limbs? Give them some sort of handicap?

But then they'd just buy robotic arms...hmm...

Soon as they hit 1 Billion we start taking off limbs? Give them some sort of handicap?

But then they'd just buy robotic arms...hmm...

And that's when we institute an aggressive tax on robotic arms. Some people will say that's an anti amputee agenda, but for mine those non-billionaire unfortunates missing limbs would probably rather have a peg arm than suffer the indignity of something so bourgeois as a fully functioning and usable artificial limb

Put your playlist on repeat of the Beatles' "Taxman" ***and read all about it.

***Written, as I understand it, by George Harrison, although the brilliant lead solo was, after many attempts, quite beyond him and was actually played by Paul McCartney.

Put your playlist on repeat of the Beatles' "Taxman" ***and read all about it.

***Written, as I understand it, by George Harrison, although the brilliant lead solo was, after many attempts, quite beyond him and was actually played by Paul McCartney.

I'm all for taxing the rich but the tax rates the Beatles were paying is insane

As George sang "that's one for you nineteen for me"

That people get upset at a celebrity donating $1million or beams donating his medal is downright sad.

Good on them for doing something significant with the money and in Beams case something an AFL would cherish for ever.

Totally misinterpreted their posts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something I read the other day. Celebs can earn millions through their social media platforms.

Not being on Instagram I have no idea how, but apparently Ronaldo earned $80m last year from Insta alone.

Some of them wouldn't donate without the publicity. Sad but true. Saying they should do it quietly is ignoring that reality.

But it's still a donation and I'd rather that money be in the pockets of people who can use it so I don't give a proverbial if people want to shout it from the rooftops.

Some of them wouldn't donate without the publicity. Sad but true. Saying they should do it quietly is ignoring that reality.

But it's still a donation and I'd rather that money be in the pockets of people who can use it so I don't give a proverbial if people want to shout it from the rooftops.
Celebrities being seen donating also encourage their fans/supporters to donate simply because of the following and influence they have over people. Not all do it (although i am sure there are a minority few) for the publicity. It's like a good captain of a team leading the way by doing something inspirational that also inspires his team mates. I much rather look at it as a heart felt reaction to a tragedy rather than Celebrities trying to improve their profile/image.

Pretty hard for stars to sell memorabilia on the quiet - and pretty counter-productive. Fair to question some of their motives but at the end of the day I say throw it all in the pot for a good and desperate cause.

Where do all the donations go and who decides who gets what and how much?

Yes, that is always a worry. Hopefully the people who lost everything (including livestock) get most of it, then the volunteer fire services.

Then the infrastructure for the rebuilding of the towns/businesses lost.

By my reckoning, 170mil dollars at least has been raised already without what the state and fed govts are going to put in...

Sure hope that money gets to where it's supposed to go...

Yes, that is always a worry. Hopefully the people who lost everything (including livestock) get most of it, then the volunteer fire services.

Then the infrastructure for the rebuilding of the towns/businesses lost.

By my reckoning, 170mil dollars at least has been raised already without what the state and fed govts are going to put in...

Sure hope that money gets to where it's supposed to go...
Now I’m asking because there’s people here more well read and smarter than me.

That bloke who donated $70 million, turns out it’s not all going to the victims, is this true?

More like $10mil?

Last edited:
Now I’m asking because there’s people here more weread and smarter than me.

That bloke who donated $70 million, turns out it’s not all going to the victims, is this true?

More like $10mil?

Most of it is going to a foundation to build disaster resilience.

I don't have a problem with it, personally. I think it's fair to be sceptical of billionaires donating to charity, but as always the media coverage is just amping up the perceived outrage.

For what it's worth, briztoon, I think the smartest people are the ones who aren't sure what's going on. The idiots are the ones who think they instantly understand everything enough to get angry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back