Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Just watched a replay of Talking Footy and Tom "Purple2" Browne is still pushing the line that Dayne Beams is potentially on the move back to Melbourne, for family reasons. When it was pointed out to him that his family live on the Gold Coast he said it was his wife that would be the reason for a move back.

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just watched a replay of Talking Footy and Tom "Purple2" Browne is still pushing the line that Dayne Beams is potentially on the move back to Melbourne, for family reasons. When it was pointed out to him that his family live on the Gold Coast he said it was his wife that would be the reason for a move back.
Honestly wouldn't surprise me. Came back to QLD for his family so returning to Melbourne for the benefit of his wife doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

Also, if Claye finishes at the Lions this year, then he could also move to Melbourne and play VFL.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Honestly wouldn't surprise me. Came back to QLD for his family so returning to Melbourne for the benefit of his wife doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.
Also, if Claye finishes at the Lions this year, then he could also move to Melbourne and play VFL.
Ah well, looks like he's gone then.;) Time to start a thread.

Dodongo

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No to trading Beams unless it's a request from him to move away after his Dad's passing. Would rather have a "down in output" Beams this year who gets to work through this troubled period and become a better leader for 2019 than not have him at all. The experience and wisdom he could share with any new draftee will be priceless compared to a draft pick.

Sorry Dodongo didn't make it clear - that is what Dodongo meant. Dodongo would only trade Beams if he asked.

Jan 11, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I preface the following by saying I think its complete bunkum and typical Vic centro journalism of the 'whispers' that Beams may request a move back to Vic. However, in the extraordinary long shot that he is contemplating a move back to Vic....What would be his realistic 'market value' if he were to be on the trade table?

He's contracted and i'm sure would he would be very respectful of looking after the Lions interest in any potential deal.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
I preface the following by saying I think its complete bunkum and typical Vic centro journalism of the 'whispers' that Beams may request a move back to Vic. However, in the extraordinary long shot that he is contemplating a move back to Vic....What would be his realistic 'market value' if he were to be on the trade table?

He's contracted and i'm sure would he would be very respectful of looking after the Lions interest in any potential deal.

Late first rounder (15-18) is my gut feel. I think we’d be a bit optimistic to expect much more than that.

We are a better club as a result of his time here, so you’d really have to weigh that in to the total value equation to help you sleep at night.

As an aside though, you can bet the same media simpletons that praised Collingwood for pushing hard on the trade in 2014 will hypocritically pan us for not rushing to give him away for half a packet of chips.

I hope he stays. But if he doesn’t, my secondary hope is that our fans handle it with a bit more class and healthy perspective than fans of his previous club did. The family thing works both ways.

Last edited:

Stevo7

Rookie
Apr 20, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It would be a massive kick in the guts if Beams left. Isn’t he the one who played a big role in encouraging some of our kids to extend their contracts. I would be more sympathetic if his current challenges led him to stepping out of footy for a while, or at the extreme retiring. He’s a superstar player and person.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I think in this draft between pick 15-25. His body is struggling.

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Club has been good at picking the right time to move on guys like Rockliff, Hanley, etc to maximise value. Will back them in on Beams.

I suspect if we do move him on via his request it may also help with the priority pick situation.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If Beams wanted to move on for family reasons we wouldn't stand in his way. We will be in grave trouble though re our best 22 experience.

Stef Martin is probably got 1 maybe 2 years left, Hodge 1 year, then the other best 22 experience is Zorko, Robinson and Rich who is not a leader, you could maybe add Christensen to that list.

We are in deep s**t, you can not win games regularly with so little best 22 experience. We simply must get in a couple of decent mature age recruits with leadership qualities over the next couple of years even without Beams leaving.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Beams would suit a club pushing for a premiership before he retires. Suitable clubs; Melbourne (no first round pick this year), North (already have similar mids) and Collingwood (might not have money left if they get Lynch, also don’t need mids).

Carlton might offer their second rounder if it’s not reserved for a GWS discard.

Bulldogs and Saints don’t have second round picks and wouldn’t spend their first.

Not sure about Essendon

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
Club has been good at picking the right time to move on guys like Rockliff, Hanley, etc to maximise value. Will back them in on Beams.

I suspect if we do move him on via his request it may also help with the priority pick situation.
It's less maximising value than it's making the best of a bad situation. We can't keep having the players who are supposed to be leading the club keep falling off a cliff and ending up elsewhere. Is there something about the load our inexperience subjects experienced players to that does them in physically?

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Alternatively, they could be like "Why would we give you a PP when you traded away your best player?"

If Beams wanted to move on for family reasons we wouldn't stand in his way. We will be in grave trouble though re our best 22 experience.

Stef Martin is probably got 1 maybe 2 years left, Hodge 1 year, then the other best 22 experience is Zorko, Robinson and Rich who is not a leader, you could maybe add Christensen to that list.

We are in deep s**t, you can not win games regularly with so little best 22 experience. We simply must get in a couple of decent mature age recruits with leadership qualities over the next couple of years even without Beams leaving.

Get Burgoyne up here. He's been going on about 1 more year in all these new articles, Burgoyne/Fages/Hodge would work well IMO.

EDIT: And Cyril too, can be close to top end which helps with family visits n all. Brisbane Lions - Hawthorn retirement village :D

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It got knocked on the head by Swan & Beams manager within 24 hours. I wouldn't give it any thought til you hear it from a different source
Fagan on the news this evening said he always thought Beams would move back to Melbourne coz of his wife is from there and added that Beams hasn't spoke to him about it.

Carlos Danger

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fagan on the news this evening said he always thought Beams would move back to Melbourne coz of his wife is from there and added that Beams hasn't spoke to him about it.
Still speculation. More rumours turn out to be false than true.
Notice no-one in the print media has run with anything which is unusual

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Easier said then done in regards to the leadership aspect but do agree here and there are some mature free agents to have a look at that could help.
Wouldn't say no to a top 20 pick for him. As good as Beams is it is time for the next gen to start taking ownership of the team. We still have Zorko and can 'top up' with another older head like Hodge for a season or two.
Agree, it is time, if that was another 2/3/4 yrs away. Andrews needs another year or two to refine his game before having to shoulder such a load, Berry should be added in the leadership group and possibly McCluggage but we are just not quite there yet for these guys.

Dodongo

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Get Burgoyne up here. He's been going on about 1 more year in all these new articles, Burgoyne/Fages/Hodge would work well IMO.

EDIT: And Cyril too, can be close to top end which helps with family visits n all. Brisbane Lions - Hawthorn retirement village :D

Dodongo was going to suggest Cyril when Dodongo heard the news today. Dodongo thinks a change of environment will be good for him and he can work with Charlie.

Dodongo agrees with Burgoyne too. These players will add a lot.

Dodongo was going to suggest Cyril when Dodongo heard the news today. Dodongo thinks a change of environment will be good for him and he can work with Charlie.

Dodongo agrees with Burgoyne too. These players will add a lot.

:thumbsu: 4 time premiership players who all these youngsters look up to, they will always be great to attract and retain young talent. I'm sure they can play a bit too ;).

The Rayner video straight after the draft - how he reacted while speaking to Beams Vs his reaction after chatting to Hodge was telling. It's all goosebumps moments for the next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back