Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On AFL player mental health: Wayne Schwass on feeling suicidal minutes after a grand final win.
Best description of elite athlete I've heard:

"I was trained to be a very good athlete. I wasn't trained to be a well-balanced individual," he said on the opening day of the inquiry's public hearings.

This is so true of all elite athletes. And it makes the environment the Lions are building where players are encouraged and supported to seek a life outside football and begin preparing for after football as soon as they join the club (part time study/apprenticeships/general interests) one of the most valuable things about our club. Must make being retired/retiring easier as there is day one acknowledgement that footy isn't the players entire life.

Proud of our clubs work in this area.

Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Obviously feel awful for Dayne, I was one of the people that questioned him as a person given what happened.

Bygones be bygones though.

Hope he works it out for himself.

Feel ecstatic we burnt the Wood of all the clubs

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
You know, it's almost a shame we're not playing the Pies. The #jumperswapchallenge would be an awesome way to show Dayne that we still support him and we're all behind him, no matter what colours he wears.

I wish there WAS something we could do to show the players that no matter what team they play for, the entire AFL community is behind them when they're injured, ill or battling mental illness.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
There was a fair bit of angst around here after he first professed his commitment to the Lions, then equivocated and of course ultimately asked for a trade.

In the light of what has subsequently transpired, I think that anyone who still bears him ill will is either mean spirited or just has no concept of how deeply mental health issues impact on an individual.

I wish him well.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
There was a fair bit of angst around here after he first professed his commitment to the Lions, then equivocated and of course ultimately asked for a trade.

In the light of what has subsequently transpired, I think that anyone who still bears him ill will is either mean spirited or just has no concept of how deeply mental health issues impact on an individual.

I wish him well.
Well said luthor, I came on to post similar, I had no ill will toward Dayne at the time of the trade and still don't. This issue is so much bigger than footy, very proud of how our club handled it at the time. IMO we would have let Dayne go home virtually no matter what the final offer was from the Pies, Noble and co played it perfectly, got a great outcome for Dayne and our club.

#empathy&compassion.

Slitherin9

Senior List
Oct 18, 2015
Hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
From comments he made in post trade interviews, I suspected it was the Lions, not Beams, who instigated the trade. He seemed to be as caught off guard by it as the rest of us. Subsequent comments on social media, like the one below, seemed to confirm that.

I'm now convinced it was the case.

At this stage it would be best if he stepped away from football entirely, focused on himself and his family.

Really hope he gets better, he was our captain at one stage and will always be a Lion.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
At this stage it would be best if he stepped away from football entirely, focused on himself and his family.

Really hope he gets better, he was our captain at one stage and will always be a Lion.
I agree, retiring may be the best thing for him.

Out of curiosity, how many years did he sign on at Collingwood?

Must admit, I was filthy the manner in which he left, the lies etc., but in hindsight, he is clearly a confused guy that is really unsure where he belongs and what will make him and his family happy. Feel for him.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree, retiring may be the best thing for him.

Out of curiosity, how many years did he sign on at Collingwood?

Must admit, I was filthy the manner in which he left, the lies etc., but in hindsight, he is clearly a confused guy that is really unsure where he belongs and what will make him and his family happy. Feel for him.
Think it was around 4 iirc

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From comments he made in post trade interviews, I suspected it was the Lions, not Beams, who instigated the trade. He seemed to be as caught off guard by it as the rest of us. Subsequent comments on social media, like the one below, seemed to confirm that.
View attachment 702723
I'm now convinced it was the case.

It's neither here nor there but I seriously doubt it. He shouldn't be harassed about it or anything but that comment contradicts a lot of what was said post-trade, and I don't think we instigated it. I do think it is entirely possible that some of our smarter footy people were happy to move him on though.

I have complicated thoughts about Dayne - no issue with him wanting a trade and I wish him the best in his recovery. There are much bigger things than footy and in any case we clearly haven't suffered for him going. But on the other hand there are some distasteful parts of his history that I did my best not to think about when he played for us.

Regardless I hope the time out helps him.

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
It's neither here nor there but I seriously doubt it. He shouldn't be harassed about it or anything but that comment contradicts a lot of what was said post-trade, and I don't think we instigated it. I do think it is entirely possible that some of our smarter footy people were happy to move him on though.

I have complicated thoughts about Dayne - no issue with him wanting a trade and I wish him the best in his recovery. There are much bigger things than footy and in any case we clearly haven't suffered for him going. But on the other hand there are some distasteful parts of his history that I did my best not to think about when he played for us.

Regardless I hope the time out helps him.

I'm not discounting the conversations he instigated earlier in the year. The outcome of those was the Lions were adamant he would be held to his contract, and Beams was adamant he would not be signing another. Both parties seemed content to leave it at that. But something changed between then and Trade Week, and I don't believe it was Beams doing the backflip. I think the Lions' brass realised they would get nothing for an out of contract, beat up, 31-year-old in two years' time. So, with Neale on the way in, they struck while Beams' iron was still hot.

I'm not discounting the conversations he instigated earlier in the year. The outcome of those was the Lions were adamant he would be held to his contract, and Beams was adamant he would not be signing another. Both parties seemed content to leave it at that. But something changed between then and Trade Week, and I don't believe it was Beams doing the backflip. I think the Lions' brass realised they would get nothing for an out of contract, beat up, 31-year-old in two years' time. So, with Neale on the way in, they struck while Beams' iron was still hot.
This is a narrative that suits your point, however lets just accept that it is remotely possible. I would then congratulate those involved at our club on brilliantly executed maneuverings to extract two first rounders for a "beat up, 31-year-old." Perhaps we can now look forward to the two top 10 first rounders for Cutler. In Nobes we trust.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That beat up player was second in our best and fairest and I’m sure he’d be top five if he was playing for us healthy this year. He’s a great player, didn’t like how he left but hope he manages to come out the other end of his problems.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
Beat up "in two years' time", I said :rolleyes: That he was second in our B&F last year is exactly why the time was right to do a deal. I'm not taking sides here. I'm defending Beams, while also applauding the club's shrewd dealing. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back