Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would make sense if it turned out we were the one that instigated the trade and not Beams.

Another trade to go with the Charlie Cameron (and Schache) trade that was criticised by many here but with the benefit of hindsight we have gotten the better of.

Hope Beams is able to sort out his issues. He seems like a nice guy and has clearly said he wants to see us successful.

One other thing, anyone who has a go at Beams directly on his SM considering what he is going through is an absolute flog.

Last edited:
Would make sense if it turned out we were the one that instigated the trade and not Beams.

Another trade to go with the Charlie Cameron (and Schache) trade that was criticised by many here but with the benefit of hindsight we have gotten the better of.

Hope Beams is able to sort out his issues. He seems like a nice guy and has clearly said he wants to see us successful.

One other thing, anyone who has a go at Beams directly on his SM considering what he is going through is an absolute flog.
I don't remember many actually criticising the value of Beams trade.

There were a lot of posters not happy with Beams moving, but a lot of the criticism was aimed at Beams himself.

I remember Fagan was asked in an interview on SEN I think it was, about Beams wanting to move back Victoria before it became official, and Fagan genuinely sounded like he was taken aback. So I very much doubt the move was instigated by the club.

I don't remember many actually criticising the value of Beams trade.

There were a lot of posters not happy with Beams moving, but a lot of the criticism was aimed at Beams himself.

I remember Fagan was asked in an interview on SEN I think it was, about Beams wanting to move back Victoria before it became official, and Fagan genuinely sounded like he was taken aback. So I very much doubt the move was instigated by the club.

Yep, Fages went on SEN about an hour after Purple said that Beams was likely to leave and he seemed pretty stunned. I know there was no 'official' trade request put through by Beams so you can spin it and say it was a mutual decision to let him go but Paul Connors had it all lined up and orchestrated it well in advance. No criticism of Connors, he's an extremely good operator. There was a fair bit of unsourced chat in the week prior to that coming out of his management that he would go as well.

That's not to say that some people at the club weren't of the view that the trade would be good value for us long-term - but I suspect others thought we wouldn't be able to make ground on the field without having both Beams and Neale and the reporting was that Greg Swann needed convincing to agree to it.

The fact that the trade wasn't instigated by us is also demonstrated by Lyons not being done in trade period. If we had planned for it more we surely would have got the Lyons move done as part of either pick exchange we did with GC rather than leaving it later, and we would have put more time into backup midfield reinforcement options other than Mitch Wallis.

At the end of the day though it is neither here nor there - we've come out exceptionally well and Beams was entitled to request a trade. I could have done without the B&F speech but it is hard to criticise him for that given all the other things on his mind.

Is it not possible that Fagan wasn't aware of moves to get Beams to Collingwood? It might have been something pushed more by Noble, and things moved so fast that Fagan was left behind a bit.

Is it not possible that Fagan wasn't aware of moves to get Beams to Collingwood? It might have been something pushed more by Noble, and things moved so fast that Fagan was left behind a bit.

I'd be stunned if the Senior Coach was left out of the loop in such a manner.

It's not as though Noble would have to send Fagan information by post.

EDIT:

I do think it's possible that with the rumour mill in full force near the end of that trade period, that we said something to Beams like:

"These rumours are just not going away. If you really do want back to the Pies, we will accommodate you providing we can do a deal where we get fair compensation"

Beams then says "yep, that would be great"

That however is a completely different secenario to "We orchestrated the trade "cause we wanted him out"

Last edited:
Cashing in on a player who's previously expressed a desire to move, while he still has currency, is not the same as "wanting him out". It's just smart.

I remember that interview with Fagan clearly. It was his least convincing media performance in his time at the club.

Cashing in on a player who's previously expressed a desire to move, while he still has currency, is not the same as "wanting him out". It's just smart.

I remember that interview with Fagan clearly. It was his least convincing media performance in his time at the club.

And I though it was genuine at the time. We’ll never know, but you’re spot on in it being smart.

Beams acknowledged at the bnf that he had been considering the move so IF the club did instigate it (which isn’t my personal opinion but we’ll never know) they weren’t blindsiding him and forcing him into a decision he didn’t want.

We did well with that trade

I don't know how you thought Fagan wasn't convincing. It's not like he is an actor capable of putting it on - it seemed pretty clear to me that he felt a bit blindsided by it.

I also would point to David Noble's immediate interview on the Roar Deal post trade-week where it was pretty clear that he found that aspects of the beams negotiation/manoeuvring a bit distasteful. At the very least the social media put out by Collingwood post-trade was not appreciated by Noble. I do think that parts of the club were sick of the 3 month long saga of will he won't he.

At the end of the day we will never know the answer to this and I don't think that Beams wanting a trade and agitating to get it impacts his character, whatever you think of it - its just business. Colin Young's clients have gone down the path of much more aggressive/rude attempts to get out of contracts so it could have been handled a lot worse from him.

I don't know how you thought Fagan wasn't convincing. It's not like he is an actor capable of putting it on - it seemed pretty clear to me that he felt a bit blindsided by it.

I also would point to David Noble's immediate interview on the Roar Deal post trade-week where it was pretty clear that he found that aspects of the beams negotiation/manoeuvring a bit distasteful. At the very least the social media put out by Collingwood post-trade was not appreciated by Noble. I do think that parts of the club were sick of the 3 month long saga of will he won't he.

At the end of the day we will never know the answer to this and I don't think that Beams wanting a trade and agitating to get it impacts his character, whatever you think of it - its just business. Colin Young's clients have gone down the path of much more aggressive/rude attempts to get out of contracts so it could have been handled a lot worse from him.
Look alikes-
706284 706288

a guy on the Magpies board had this to say
have on good report that as most have heard the rumour that Beams owes about 1.3M. and bikies rocked up. Eddie bailed him out. but the AFL has now caught the end trial of this and are seriously considering in stripping the club of it's premiership points for salary cap breach. " watch this space "

a guy on the Magpies board had this to say
have on good report that as most have heard the rumour that Beams owes about 1.3M. and bikies rocked up. Eddie bailed him out. but the AFL has now caught the end trial of this and are seriously considering in stripping the club of it's premiership points for salary cap breach. " watch this space "

Huge implications for our draft pick

Dayne would have been much better off spending his gambling money on a top psychologist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dayne would have been much better off spending his gambling money on a top psychologist

Wow

If if if if if if if if there is any truth to that gotta think it will be a major hit for beams in the mental health area - players, staff and fans would all have strong emotional responses and it could get ugly. Especially as this year is a real shot at the premiership.

But if it's true, the Afl can't let if go 'for the good of the game and the good of a single player.

Just Wow

If what you're thinking is that we get pick 1 or 2, not sure it will work like that.

If what you're thinking is that we get pick 1 or 2, not sure it will work like that.
I wonder what would happen in that scenario?
They only take their points off them after the home and away to know where they finish?
There is too many implications in making them finish last, because it affects the draw for next year with the 6,6,6.
They can’t take draft picks off them because it affects other clubs, can’t give them pick 1 because it affects other clubs?

The stripping of points would create a logistical nightmare for the AFL. There are plenty of examples of them settling on fines and/or loss of draft picks for TPP breaches.

I wonder what would happen in that scenario?
They only take their points off them after the home and away to know where they finish?
There is too many implications in making them finish last, because it affects the draw for next year with the 6,6,6.
They can’t take draft picks off them because it affects other clubs, can’t give them pick 1 because it affects other clubs?
They wouldn't get pick 1, it would be ours so all good. Shhhh!
tumblr_n0fvcwj9yw1tpaie1o1_500.gif

The stripping of points would create a logistical nightmare for the AFL. There are plenty of examples of them settling on fines and/or loss of draft picks for TPP breaches.
Loss of draft picks and a trading ban would be a good result.
But for them to miss finals this year would be a great result!😃

Loss of draft picks and a trading ban would be a good result.
But for them to miss finals this year would be a great result!😃

But... if they lose their draft pick it hits us cause we have their first round draft pick.

We can’t get punished cause they broke the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back