Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it is no longer theirs!

Good point. So they’d be losing a second round or later pick which isn’t a massive penalty.

Maybe no trading allowed as well? But that’s unfair on players who want to leave. Very difficult to find penalties.

Collingwood go to the bottom.

All draft picks they have cancelled for this and next year.

We keep pick 1 as compensation for losing a player to a payment outside the salary cap.

Outrage over the last bit makes it easier to slide in a priority pick for the gold coast.

EZ. No complications. Collingwood assigned a draw next year commensurate with their ladder position had they not lost premiership points.

a guy on the Magpies board had this to say
have on good report that as most have heard the rumour that Beams owes about 1.3M. and bikies rocked up. Eddie bailed him out. but the AFL has now caught the end trial of this and are seriously considering in stripping the club of it's premiership points for salary cap breach. " watch this space "

Absolute crock of s**t

Collingwood go to the bottom.

All draft picks they have cancelled for this and next year.

We keep pick 1 as compensation for losing a player to a payment outside the salary cap.

Outrage over the last bit makes it easier to slide in a priority pick for the gold coast.

EZ. No complications. Collingwood assigned a draw next year commensurate with their ladder position had they not lost premiership points.

Keep dreaming

There were a lot of issues going on with Dayne and it's likely Collingwood haven't heard the end of it.

My perspective was to push his capital as far as you could to get a good deal and surprisingly we had many 'supporters ' on here making out he was finished anyway. We got a reasonable deal ,getting something back for what he cost us, which was plenty. Maybe half a Fevola.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Even then, the AFL is one of the most spineless and gutless organisations you'd come across and will deliberately look the other way or find that there was insufficient proof etc. The AFL won't want a bar of this, so nothing to see here.

If the rumours are even remotely true, Collingwood should really just quietly ask Dayne to retire and be done with this debacle because the ongoing circus that Dayne creates (which we witnessed first hand at the Lions) will only be detrimental to their club.

I am somewhat conflicted though; are Dayne's mental health issues real or are they a symptom of the predicament brought about by Dayne's own doing? IMO, there is a difference between being genuinely depressed because of the loss of ones parent / partner compared to self-inflicted things such as gambling, drugs etc.

a guy on the Magpies board had this to say
have on good report that as most have heard the rumour that Beams owes about 1.3M. and bikies rocked up. Eddie bailed him out. but the AFL has now caught the end trial of this and are seriously considering in stripping the club of it's premiership points for salary cap breach. " watch this space "

I doubt that will happen...Talking about Ed and his cohorts here...Behind the scenes, the Pies machine will go into operation...They will push Beams into retirement without reaching a settlement first, given his entitlement under contract. Collingwood will then tear up his contract...In will ride a member of the club benevolence society of white knights with a paper bag payment containing an undisclosed remuneration and everything will become above board...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even then, the AFL is one of the most spineless and gutless organisations you'd come across and will deliberately look the other way or find that there was insufficient proof etc. The AFL won't want a bar of this, so nothing to see here.

If the rumours are even remotely true, Collingwood should really just quietly ask Dayne to retire and be done with this debacle because the ongoing circus that Dayne creates (which we witnessed first hand at the Lions) will only be detrimental to their club.

I am somewhat conflicted though; are Dayne's mental health issues real or are they a symptom of the predicament brought about by Dayne's own doing? IMO, there is a difference between being genuinely depressed because of the loss of ones parent / partner compared to self-inflicted things such as gambling, drugs etc.

FWIW, I'd have mental health issues too if a group of "patched" bikers gave me a visit at my place of work..

Yep, Fages went on SEN about an hour after Purple said that Beams was likely to leave and he seemed pretty stunned. I know there was no 'official' trade request put through by Beams so you can spin it and say it was a mutual decision to let him go but Paul Connors had it all lined up and orchestrated it well in advance. No criticism of Connors, he's an extremely good operator. There was a fair bit of unsourced chat in the week prior to that coming out of his management that he would go as well.

That's not to say that some people at the club weren't of the view that the trade would be good value for us long-term - but I suspect others thought we wouldn't be able to make ground on the field without having both Beams and Neale and the reporting was that Greg Swann needed convincing to agree to it.

The fact that the trade wasn't instigated by us is also demonstrated by Lyons not being done in trade period. If we had planned for it more we surely would have got the Lyons move done as part of either pick exchange we did with GC rather than leaving it later, and we would have put more time into backup midfield reinforcement options other than Mitch Wallis.

At the end of the day though it is neither here nor there - we've come out exceptionally well and Beams was entitled to request a trade. I could have done without the B&F speech but it is hard to criticise him for that given all the other things on his mind.
Entitled to a trade request. He was bloody contracted to the club and had his contract front end loaded. He stole money from the club essentially

Addiction of any type is usually a sign of some sort of mental health issues

I said a few weeks ago this was salary cap tampering by Eddie. Paying outside the cap to get a player in. IF proven and good luck trying to prove it then Collingwood would be in massive strife.

One thing is for sure the whole Beams saga hasn't done the Pies any favours right now. We came out the other side in a good position all things considered.

Many of us here will have heard whispers about Beams going back some time. Like most almost none of the rumours have been spelled out, no doubt out of a deference to his legacy in Brisvegas or whatever, or simply good manners. Or the law.

A caution however- just because it sounds bizzare doesn't mean it isn't true. Just look at Bomber Thompson. And it seems Thompson has offered up mental issues as the main contributing cause.

I said a few weeks ago this was salary cap tampering by Eddie. Paying outside the cap to get a player in. IF proven and good luck trying to prove it then Collingwood would be in massive strife.

One thing is for sure the whole Beams saga hasn't done the Pies any favours right now. We came out the other side in a good position all things considered.
Surely the motorcycle club would have proper invoicing and receipts in order.

Being the author of one's own misfortune (i.e. a lack of personal responsibility, self-discipline and good old-fashioned grit) seems these days to have been redefined in cod-psychological terms.

Self-indulgence is now a mental health issue, creating some kind of victim, to be given a pass in today's increasingly infantile zeitgeist.

Last edited:
Being the author of one's own misfortune (i.e. a lack of personal responsibility, self-discipline and good old-fashioned grit) seems these days to have been redefined in cod-psychological terms.

Self-indulgence is now a mental health issue, creating some kind of victim, to be given a pass in today's increasingly infantile zeitgeist.

So you would describe addictions as not a replacement for other demons or an escape from a reality that people often struggle to cope with and more an excuse to be self destructive for ones own personal gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back