Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been posting about the Crows supposedly going to move on some of their older players Eddie Betts etc, in the other Non-Lions thread, more about Eddie though really......but it sounds like Crows are wanting to do just what you are saying above. We seem to have started a trend.

Beams, Rockliff and all the others can suffer in their jocks, we now have the right team because they all left.....I thank each and every one of them but hope they are watching with regrets. (Redden and Yeo excluded)

...which reminds me....how come Rockliff isn't getting games over at Port? I heard he's not injured.
Coopers is a reasonable drop but when Rocky is in the house it’s a different story

Keays2myBeamas

All Australian
Oct 5, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
But was it done that way by design or if it just happened to turn out that way? We lost Redden 2015, Hanley 2016, Rockliff 2017 and Beams 2018. In hindsight it seems like a deliberate and gutsy strategy to methodically move on one senior midfielder each year while they still had value. But in reality, other than Hanley weren’t we opposed to losing all of those guys? Maybe behind closed doors it was secretly all part of the plan. But it also overlapped two different list management teams so it seems unlikely. We’d happily still have Redden at the club if he’d wanted to stay. Rockliff we got nothing for, although you could say he was an issue for club culture, he was worth more than nothing, so you can’t say we got maximum value for him. If Rockliff wanted to stay at Brisbane he’d still be here. And it also definitely seems like if Beams had been happy to stay, we would have been happy to keep him.

The fact that our midfield is now lead by Neale and Lyons instead of Rockliff, Redden and Beams is just most likely just a happy coincidence, and list management doing a fantastic job of making the most of less than ideal scenarios - turning players leaving into opportunities to sculpt the list.

...which reminds me....how come Rockliff isn't getting games over at Port? I heard he's not injured.
? he's played the last six games, only missed games while he was having soft tissue issues.

I've been posting about the Crows supposedly going to move on some of their older players Eddie Betts etc, in the other Non-Lions thread, more about Eddie though really......but it sounds like Crows are wanting to do just what you are saying above. We seem to have started a trend.

Beams, Rockliff and all the others can suffer in their jocks, we now have the right team because they all left.....I thank each and every one of them but hope they are watching with regrets. (Redden and Yeo excluded)

Eddie has been great, however he will be 33 by the start of next season and time is catching up with him. Still would have something to offer certain clubs with his professionalism etc

The talent we moved on, all generated first round picks, all of them had at the time of trading projected to have some decent time left with us, hence their good trade currency. Can’t think of any example where teams have done similar and so regularly, gutsy but looks good upon reflection now.

Rocky missed a month in the middle of the season, but played the majority of the season otherwise.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
But was it done that way by design or if it just happened to turn out that way? We lost Redden 2015, Hanley 2016, Rockliff 2017 and Beams 2018. In hindsight it seems like a deliberate and gutsy strategy to methodically move on one senior midfielder each year while they still had value. But in reality, other than Hanley weren’t we opposed to losing all of those guys? Maybe behind closed doors it was secretly all part of the plan. But it also overlapped two different list management teams so it seems unlikely. We’d happily still have Redden at the club if he’d wanted to stay. Rockliff we got nothing for, although you could say he was an issue for club culture, he was worth more than nothing, so you can’t say we got maximum value for him. If Rockliff wanted to stay at Brisbane he’d still be here. And it also definitely seems like if Beams had been happy to stay, we would have been happy to keep him.

The fact that our midfield is now lead by Neale and Lyons instead of Rockliff, Redden and Beams is just most likely just a happy coincidence, and list management doing a fantastic job of making the most of less than ideal scenarios - turning players leaving into opportunities to sculpt the list.

Your facts about Rocky aren’t very accurate.

If Brisbane wanted him to stay, he would still be here. He was absolutely managed out the door.

We got an end of first round pick for him too, not “nothing”.

If Brisbane wanted him to stay, he would still be here. He was absolutely managed out the door.

By way of offering a sub par contract?

BuildEmUp

All Australian
Jul 14, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
No malice or anything meant probably could of worded that post better.

could " OF " ? could HAVE i guess you mean - along with your original post shows your complete insensitivity and ignorance and oxygen theft!

read this and stop posting until you pass...

Mar 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Nuggets, Crows
could " OF " ? could HAVE i guess you mean - along with your original post shows your complete insensitivity and ignorance and oxygen theft!

Ha, a Collingwood supporter trying to teach English. Is this the twilight zone?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

Redden too - I don't even recall that he was agitating to leave, just that we knew that free agency was the following year and we could get good value that year if he was looking to leave. I definitely wasn't left with the feeling that he forced our hand.

Ha, a Collingwood supporter trying to teach English. Is this the twilight zone?
What difference does it make which team he follows? He provided you with a sound English grammar lesson. Take what you have been given with graciousness and thank the gentleman for taking the time to correct and improve your communication skills.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
That’s the one thing that seems to get overlooked whenever I hear comments around the “Brisbane Blueprint”

Draft Metro boys, pair mates up, identify under appreciated talents etc. But we’ve methodically moved on older players with good value, to put us in a position to capital to do the above. Done it over multiple years too, so it doesn’t feel like an exodus (Redden could be included too)
I personally wouldn’t include Redden in this conversation; has gone to another level IMO at the Eagles and a lot has to do with his maturity and playing in a really good team, but unlike the others you mentioned, Redden would be great still on our current team.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Redden too - I don't even recall that he was agitating to leave, just that we knew that free agency was the following year and we could get good value that year if he was looking to leave. I definitely wasn't left with the feeling that he forced our hand.

I got the impression that Redden just didn't like Leppa. Not an unreasonable position tbh.

kylegee28

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Years later and I still don't know exactly what Rocky did to become such an unpopular figure. Can someone please share?

I personally wouldn’t include Redden in this conversation; has gone to another level IMO at the Eagles and a lot has to do with his maturity and playing in a really good team, but unlike the others you mentioned, Redden would be great still on our current team.

My point wasn’t that we traded players at their highest value, someone else made the point prior.

I was just pointing out that it’s a gutsy move to let the core of players, ones most had pins high hopes to move us back to relevance, basically all go. I agree that Redden would be a welcomed addition, if we could now find the equivalent trade, most would be happy to go down that path.

The only comparable example I can think of is Stkilda letting Goddard, Dal Santo and McEvoy. Which hasn’t went so well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back