Rumour Beams move back to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

A young bartender at my local thought it'd be a good idea to place 1k on no 11 on track side using the pubs money, it didn't win so he did it another 45 times, only stopped because the TAB head office rang the manager to alert him to unusual betting activities, he got off without jail time.
This s**t actually happens. My long term partners son (so essentially my son-in-law) got into gambling strife two years ago and used over $300,000 of his employers clients money on gambling.

Two years down we’re all still spending money on lawyers and we’re still waiting for the arrest. Once it happens he will go to jail. But the company he stole from have been so vile - they want the money back with interest rather than going to court (which will damage their reputation, he stole from a finance company and they don’t want another rogue employee story blotting their copybook).

I don’t know why I’m posting this except to say how s**t everything is. There are people out there who will let a gambler go to the extreme, because then they can threaten every family member to recoup the money and more just to prevent further s**t. It’s vile. I wish it was over.

Some people have highly addictive natures, I am one of those people and I tend to avoid things I know I can easily be addicted to. Im 31 and played Pokies for the first time ever 3 weeks ago, and after 10 minutes I forced myself off the machine and havnt stepped foot in there since. Because I knew it was the right combo for me to pour time and money into.

Unfortunately not everyone can do that, Ive had a lot of practice and failures at it. In the case with sportspeople, they have a LOT of money being thrown at them, and not much they can do with it after setting themselves up. So they chase a thrill, become addicted to the thrill of gambling and fall down a rabbit hole.

We can all sit and laugh and point fingers but at the end of the day they are suffering from a mental health issue. I know, its "making an excuse for their behaviour" but their brain IS that behaviour.

Some people have highly addictive natures, I am one of those people and I tend to avoid things I know I can easily be addicted to. Im 31 and played Pokies for the first time ever 3 weeks ago, and after 10 minutes I forced myself off the machine and havnt stepped foot in there since. Because I knew it was the right combo for me to pour time and money into.

Unfortunately not everyone can do that, Ive had a lot of practice and failures at it. In the case with sportspeople, they have a LOT of money being thrown at them, and not much they can do with it after setting themselves up. So they chase a thrill, become addicted to the thrill of gambling and fall down a rabbit hole.

We can all sit and laugh and point fingers but at the end of the day they are suffering from a mental health issue. I know, its "making an excuse for their behaviour" but their brain IS that behaviour.
True. I noticed my gambling susceptibility when I was about 20, so avoided it from then on. Interestingly when I felt able to talk about it, my Dad told me he had struggled with it too - stuffed up multiple times when depressed etc throwing his pay packet at horses or pokies or whatever. Which is free choice and all, but impacted vastly on his wife and four children as it happened.

I feel pretty lucky that I sensed I had an inbuilt gambling instinct early. I might just have easily had life pressures that pushed me the other way. So I don’t point fingers and judge. It’s a really dangerous addiction

True. I noticed my gambling susceptibility when I was about 20, so avoided it from then on. Interestingly when I felt able to talk about it, my Dad told me he had struggled with it too - stuffed up multiple times when depressed etc throwing his pay packet at horses or pokies or whatever. Which is free choice and all, but impacted vastly on his wife and four children as it happened.

I feel pretty lucky that I sensed I had an inbuilt gambling instinct early. I might just have easily had life pressures that pushed me the other way. So I don’t point fingers and judge. It’s a really dangerous addiction

And unfortunately there are plenty of morally flexible individuals in society that are more than happy to make some extra money at the expense of these scenarios. Which is made easier by cashed up sportspeople. Its something society needs to fix, but wont/cant because money is the lubricant that keeps the machine going.

AFL needs to ban ALL gambling advertising- but no way GIl will bite the hand that feeds him.

It is only behind ice and domestic violence as the biggest scourge on our society.

It wouldn't be too long a bow to draw to say that the AFL has created an unsafe workplace- due to constant gambling advertising at venues, on telecasts and even allowing gambling companies to sponsor clubs, not to mention pokies/TABS in club owned venues.

A young bartender at my local thought it'd be a good idea to place 1k on no 11 on track side using the pubs money, it didn't win so he did it another 45 times, only stopped because the TAB head office rang the manager to alert him to unusual betting activities, he got off without jail time.
You'd have to have a big ******* problem betting on Trackside.

I just remembered on Saturdays when freo would play on Sunday in Melbourne, I’d be punting at commercial rd TAB near stkilda rd, Melbourne and they would always stay at hotel across the road. So you’d have the coach Mark Harvey madly running around with a coke can punting $200 bets for a few hours and a few of the other players like Pavlich having a flutter but not as bad as harves. It definitely wasn’t a good look now I think about it. Good laugh thinking about it now though.

It’s amazing how often this happens. Bloke did it at our cricket club and lost 100k. Was also caught stealing money from the footy and cricket club, so a real twat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd have to have a big ******* problem betting on Trackside.

I know of employees that have done this too. I rocked up to work one morning and the place looked like a bomb had hit it and the safe wasn't even shut up properly. Went through the security camera footage to check what the hell had happened and the guy that was working the night before had just been betting with house money all night and didn't bother cleaning up or anything before he left. Apparently he was down over $10k betting on trackside but pulled most of it back betting thousands on Mandurah dogs :drunk:

I'm sure Tabcorp pay some sort of % of turnover to the government etc on Trackside but compared to paramutual pools it would be much easier to cancel the rogue bets in hindsight without affecting the bottom line.

I know of employees that have done this too. I rocked up to work one morning and the place looked like a bomb had hit it and the safe wasn't even shut up properly. Went through the security camera footage to check what the hell had happened and the guy that was working the night before had just been betting with house money all night and didn't bother cleaning up or anything before he left. Apparently he was down over $10k betting on trackside but pulled most of it back betting thousands on Mandurah dogs :drunk:

I'm sure Tabcorp pay some sort of % of turnover to the government etc on Trackside but compared to paramutual pools it would be much easier to cancel the rogue bets in hindsight without affecting the bottom line.
I know the guy in question avoided jail (was 49k), I'm not sure if his family paid the bill or not, I reckon they must have.

At the end of the day they just want their money.

Regarding cancelling the rogue bets, much easier to do on Trackside IMO, on the tote it's impossible.

Ah, yeah, well politics between the Libs and ALP gets boring and when the rest of the news up here is 99% Broncos you've gotta do something to have a giggle. We hope you find them as amusing as we do.

My favourite piece of trivia is that Pauline Hanson sold her fish and chip shop to a Vietnamese immigrant couple.
Yep, that’ll work. Trash the country because you’re bored.

Earning 3.5m a year means Eddie’s after tax take home pay would be 1.8mil.

Average wage is 80k, after tax that ends up about 50k take home. Eddie giving away 1.5m is like the average person giving 45k to a mate who has gambling debts. Not likely.
Yeah but Eddie would have said to the illegal bookie “after tax mate you’ll only have 1mill, so how about we make it a mill and call it even.”

Now I might be a bit cynical but Eddie pushing this wouldn't have anything to do with Beamer now would it?

I thought the exact same thing when I read that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back