Rumour Beams move back to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

the "mental health" excuse has been incredible for the AFL. "hamstring" was getting extremely stale, they've really done well with this one

As long as they keep calling it Mental Health, the AFL doesn't have to worry about being called out for the fact that they are making squillions off the gambling companies who by the sounds of it have sucked up the entire earnings of a few of their stars!

Whichever way you spin it this is shaping up to be a disastrous trade for Collingwood

Our first round pick was going anyways for Quaynor and we still got him.
And this years first round pick is Currently Pick 16, hardly call that disastrous.

He was injured anyways and he will get himself right and be back next season.
Currently 29 years old and is contracted to 2022.

Paying Wells 600K a season, now that was a disaster!

And people wonder why others don’t want to have discussions when they are struggling with mental health.

And people wonder why others don’t want to have discussions when they are struggling with mental health.

I have no idea re Beams so will not judge per case. In general however as someone who deals with people and has family with legitimate mental health issues it makes me angry that it seems to be the new trend when you've got yourself in strife in the AFL. There is certainly some of those that are legitimately struggling but you'd be a fool to think some of these cases over the last few years haven't been used as convenient excuses to get out of repercussions for their own poor choices. I think those that use is it to hide something else are doing far more harm to those legitimate cases than people responses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are cigarettes a mental health issue too then?
Physical addiction (cigarettes) vs psychological addiction (gambling).
Having an addiction to gambling is not a mental health issue. You’re a ******* idiot if you think it is.
Whilst it is not the same thing as depression, gambling addiction is a psychological disorder.

As with all forms of addiction, people who have it do not deserve to be demonised, they need help.

When "mental health issue" is used without specifying the condition like those that have suffered from depression often do then the perception is going to be that it is a cover for something more sinister that could technically come under the "mental health" barrier.

Sydney were one of the early proponents of this s**t when Buddy missed the 2015 finals campaign. The perception was the use of drugs then just like it is assumed that gambling is involved with Beams here.

I feel sad for those with mental health issues that need time off from the game that will face the stigma from those that use it as a shield. There is too much smoke to not perceive "mental health issue" to have not been used to shield something more sinister on at least one or more occasions in the last few years.

Heck it has even got to the point where I recall a journalist implying that it really was a mental health issue with Jack Steven rather than a "mental health issue". Sorry for no link with that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back