Rumour Beams move back to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I might be able to...
The (perhaps not so) obvious point I was making was that not all addictions are a mental health issue.

Yeah but people with mental health issues often develop addictions as coping strategies. That’s the point.

Must really have some demons inside him not just in relation to the gambling, but depression and * knows what

Gotta feel for him on some level

But seriously these trolls who are taking pot shots at the bloke on twitter deserve a death sentence

* knows the bloke doesn’t need to be kicked while he is down

Let him be and the truth will come out eventually no doubt like ox, guerra, etc

Losing large sums of money and not being able to stop or control your behaviour is a mental health issue whether you like it or not. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. If Beams or people close to him do not wish for this to be made public, for whatever reason, I do not see the harm in the media honouring this request. Not sure why people always want blood or to see someone laid completely bare when they are at their most vulnerable.

Losing large sums of money and not being able to stop or control your behaviour is a mental health issue whether you like it or not. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. If Beams or people close to him do not wish for this to be made public, for whatever reason, I do not see the harm in the media honouring this request. Not sure why people always want blood or to see someone laid completely bare when they are at their most vulnerable.
If a player is running up huge gambling debts especially with debts to some rougher sources then they can become compromised when on the field because they have too many incentives to engage in conduct that may amount to spot fixing etc. It is in the public interest if this is the case with Beams for this to not be covered up and for the AFL to actually do something about it.

If a player is running up huge gambling debts especially with debts to some rougher sources then they can become compromised when on the field because they have too many incentives to engage in conduct that may amount to spot fixing etc. It is in the public interest if this is the case with Beams for this to not be covered up and for the AFL to actually do something about it.

Journalists also have a duty of care. Would you write the story if you had been told doing so could result in something serious happening to the subject?

I don't know if that has happened and you don't know if the above scenario you outlined has, this is all just guesswork. I just think it's best to leave the guy alone and let him talk if and when he feels comfortable. Making public the details of a situation that is high pressure has potentially shocking consequences

Yea, I reckon the bloke has had a few different issues over the years.

you think:
1) was in a sexual relationship with the school girl
2) was under investigation in the rape case with mccarthy and a VFL footballer
3) told brisbane he was staying then bailed
4) now the gambling issues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but people with mental health issues often develop addictions as coping strategies. That’s the point.
A nicotine addiction is low on the list of coping strategies for those with mental health issues and often the least of theirs (and the professionals treating them), priorities.

Just another footballer with a low IQ who can’t control a bad habit.

To call it a mental health issue is a slap in the face to those with real mental health issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To call it a mental health issue is a slap in the face to those with real mental health issues.

Nice attempt at gatekeeping mental health issues.

How the hell would people know if it a mental health issue or not. Most of you have no idea. At some stage some bad is going to happen to an AFL Footballer due to social media pressure and it will be too late. For those that don't know Beamsy I suggest you stop guessing. The kids going through hell.

Didn't know you were the arbiter on what constitutes a 'real' mental health issue. Congratulations on the appointment. If you could provide me a list which I can refer to in the future that would be great.

Any journalist who accepts this 'mental health' story at face value is not really a journalist, they're an AFL PR spokesman. Grow a pair and do your job.

What do you suggest they do?

Follow him around and uncover every aspect of his private life and then publicly shame him?

Go and grab yourself a copy of Woman's Day mate.

One of the side benefits for declaring it ' a mental health issue' is it you can do with the Bulldogs did with Boyd.
That is he effectively gets forced out of the club with no salary cap implications.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back