Rumour Beams move back to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing large sums of money and not being able to stop or control your behaviour is a mental health issue whether you like it or not. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. If Beams or people close to him do not wish for this to be made public, for whatever reason, I do not see the harm in the media honouring this request. Not sure why people always want blood or to see someone laid completely bare when they are at their most vulnerable.
You lost me at a gambling problem is a chemical imbalance. An odd case of gambling addiction might be onset from a mental illness, but generally it's no restraint plain and simple. I'm all up to speed with genuine chemical imbalance illnesses, but most people who are depressed with associated problems don't have unavoidable imbalances. They have life imbalances.

How the hell would people know if it a mental health issue or not. Most of you have no idea. At some stage some bad is going to happen to an AFL Footballer due to social media pressure and it will be too late. For those that don't know Beamsy I suggest you stop guessing. The kids going through hell.
Stephenson is a kid. Beams is 29

Who says the gambling is the cause? Could well be a symptom. None of us here are his personal doc (I would hope) so theres no way to know whats going on. He has had a rough trot regardless of the circumstance.
End of the day, he has a family to take care of, sounds teary whenever interviewed, and has w***ers like us talking about whether or not he is an asset.
I remember the cats being a lower team and hoping Mitch Clarke was going to help us, and he broke down and cried after a WIN. That was all the reminder I needed that these amazing footballers are just human beings at the end of the day.
If the guy is upset, lay off. It helps no one.

To those questioning Beams' actual problems, or whether they qualify as 'real' mental health issues or not - why? It's similar to the Jack Steven rumours or anytime someone takes time off to deal with a problem - always "he's no really depressed"/"its drugs"/"its a cover up" without any evidence. Why do people always feel the need to publicly question or doubt these kind of things without any inside knowledge or professional experience?

There is no need or right for anybody here to know the full story of what's happened to Beams or anyone else in his position, and it's completely irrelevant to all of us.

Last edited:
To those questioning Beams' actual problems, or whether they qualify as 'real' mental health issues or not - why? It's similar to the Jack Steven rumours or anytime someone takes time off to deal with a problem - always "he's no really depressed"/"its drugs"/"its a cover up" without any evidence. Why do people always feel the need to publicly question or doubt these kind of things without any inside knowledge or professional experience?

There is no need or right for anybody here to know the full story of what's happened to Beams or anyone else in his position, and it's completely irrelevant to all of us.

It doesn't matter if you're Buddy Franklin, Adam Goodes or Gary Lyon

If you're going to hide behind mental health issues, you better back it up with proof.

You're one of the worst posters on this website, so these comments aren't really surprising but I hope you're just painfully naive and not a complete moron.

David Schwarz survived.....

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if you're Buddy Franklin, Adam Goodes or Gary Lyon

If you're going to hide behind mental health issues, you better back it up with proof.
Thanks for a perfect example - this type of s**t is exactly what I'm talking about.

1. He doesn't need to prove anything to mugs like you or I. It is simply none of our business.
2. The automatic presumption that he must be 'hiding' behind it is garbage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's unfair to assume his mental health issues is due to gambling. I reckon it's just as likely he used gambling as an escape when dealing with his dad's sickness and death. The mental health issues were already there, and if anything the gambling meltdown brought everything to a head and now he has to get help and deal with everything. Could be a long term blessing i think.

I get that he's going thru a few things with an injury to boot.. I'm astounded that he's spending time on FB feeding trolls with DM's, surley there's better things to fill your downtime with

Nice attempt at gatekeeping mental health issues.

Who's Brian? I'm Brian...no I'm Brian ...no I'm brian and so is my wife.

We are finally slowing moving towards conversations about mental health that has been suffered in silence previously only to be meet with disbelievers or those that want to gatekeep mental health for themselves. I don't know what is worse the disbelievers who have never suffereed from it but know better or those who have and want to 'keep it' for themseleves.

I'm mentally ill...no I'm mentally ill....no I'm metally ill and so is my wife.

Very brave effort by Beams to come out about his issues publicly. I hope he is able to get the help he needs and hopefully him talking about it publicly helps to reduce the stigma around mental illness and depression.

Bookies who let clients run up a 1.5 mill debt don't stay in business long, in fact I'd say the don't exist.

Why does AFL have so many 'mental health issues' compared to other sports? You don't see this in the NBA or EPL.

Almost like we have given them an easy out to avoid testing, avoid media, avoid scrutiny all of which comes with life as a professional athlete?

I can imagine Stephen A Smith or the UK medias response if Harden or Hazard stepped away for a month (on full pay mind you) with 'mental health' with rumours of drugs, gambling addiction circle the player in question...

Why does AFL have so many 'mental health issues' compared to other sports? You don't see this in the NBA or EPL.

I can imagine Stephen A Smith or the UK medias response if Harden or Hazard stepped away for a month (on full pay mind you) with 'mental health' with rumours of drugs, gambling addiction circle the player in question...
I'd rather our players take time away from their job to deal with their issues (whatever they are) than get to the point where they commit murder (Aaron Hernandez) and kill themselves in front of their teammates at training (Jovan Belcher).

I'm not sure we should be looking overseas, particularly to American sports, when it comes to learning how to treat our players.

I'd rather our players take time away from their job to deal with their issues (whatever they are) than get to the point where they commit murder (Aaron Hernandez) and kill themselves in front of their teammates at training (Jovan Belcher).

I'm not sure we should be looking overseas, particularly American sports, when it comes to learning how to treat our players.
Hernandez was a shitbag anyway, sport had nothing to do with him. I've not heard of Belcher tbh but the point stands.

Can imagine match of the day reading out 'Pogba will be stepping away for 6 weeks...'

Fair point on the yanks; wouldn't look to them as any moral compass but this MHI doesn't happen in any other sport in the world so either life is very, very tough here (it isn't) or we're simply overdoing/too liberally diagnosing MH. I lean the latter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back