Rumour Beams move back to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Does ho go on the long term injury list?

I don't think the long term injury list is relevant in the second half of the year now.

Several years ago rookies couldn't play unless they were elevated, and they got elevated to replace someone on the long term injury list. Now, rookies are just paid less but can play without being promoted.

The exception is for the mid season draft, but obviously that's already been.

Hernandez was a s**tbag anyway, sport had nothing to do with him. I've not heard of Belcher tbh but the point stands.

Can imagine match of the day reading out 'Pogba will be stepping away for 6 weeks...'

Fair point on the yanks; wouldn't look to them as any moral compass but this MHI doesn't happen in any other sport in the world so either life is very, very tough here (it isn't) or we're simply overdoing/too liberally diagnosing MH. I lean the latter

Really? Sport had nothing to do with Hernandez? The CTE analysis of his brain says hi... the dudes brain damage was off the charts for someone his age.

AH is the poster child for most cautionary tales for bad behaviour/tragedy in sport.

1. College football coaches hid his poor behaviour for years. Did nothing to address his off field behaviour. Covered up for him due to his talent. Shot his friend in the face before he was drafted.

2. While the Patriots drafted him not knowing the full extent of his college behaviour, there were question marks on his character. Which is why he fell to the 4th round. Every team does extensive Private investigation on players before the draft. So to suggest the sport wasn’t aware of his flawed personality is incorrect.

3. Took prescription and illicit drugs to play thru injury, which the NFL doesn’t really police. We all know hardcore drugs can alter people’s minds. He was on PCP for a long time, and to my knowledge no NFL drug test identified his PCP use. It can be found in urine for up to 5 days and in hair for up to 90 days.

4. Several men have come fwd saying they had relationships with him. While there is nothing wrong with being gay, in a sport where the stigma of homosexuality is still seen as a weakness, it has been said that AH’s self loathing and fear at being “outed” May have contributed toward his hyper aggression in an attempt to prove his masculinity.

5. Did I say CTE??? Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a neurodegenerative syndrome that has been linked to serious psychiatric symptoms, including depression, aggression, and suicidal behavior. AH ticks all them boxes. Depression ✅ Aggression ✅ Suicide✅

If he never plays football - does he get CTE? Does he get on PCP without the pressure of performing thru injury or relive symptoms of cte? Does he care what people think of his homosexuality/bisexuality if he’s just some average bloke working a 9 to 5 job? Maybe yes maybe no - we’ll never know really. If buts and maybes etc.

Ultimately, yes the guys a sack of s**t who made many s**t decisions leading to murder, but their are certainly a combination of factors that the NFL (and all sports codes) should be looking at to minimise the risk of this type of situation happening in future.

So as for your opinion that Mental Health Issues are overblown in Australia - I’d actually suggest our country is getting it right and at the forefront of de- stigmatising the problems in a more open and transparent way - whereas other sports and countries may just be sticking their head in the sand and avoiding the issue completely.

I gather you’ve never heard of Paul Gascoigne. First rehab stint was in 1998 when he still playing football. Been battling a wide range of mental health issues ever since. George Best would have been another in soccer in clear need of help for mental health issues.

Just a quick google search and I see EPL players getting mental health treatment for addiction to the computer game Fortnight.

Even wiki has a page dedicated to mental health issues in football.

In time, I’d say you’ll see more people overseas following the AFL approach and openly putting there careers on hold to deal with mental health issues.

So you need to go back to Gascoigne and Best for soccer but we only need to go back to yesterday Beams, or before that Steven, or before that Boyd, or Daw for AFL? There's something not quite right about the per capita MH issues in AFL...

"Addiction to Fortnite" LOL. That'll do me

Edit: Hernandez stuff is interesting. No doubt the NFL sport as a whole is an interesting use case for CTE. Are you sure they don't drug test for illicit drugs? NBA does I think, I honestly thought all sports at that level did/would but could be wrong?

To settle the debate, gambling disorder is in the DSM V:

Diagnostic Criteria 312.31 (F63.0)
1. Persistent and recurrent problematic gambling behavior leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as indicated by the individual exhibiting four (or more) of the following in a 12-month period...

Very sad ! A lion or a pie it doesn't matter , the guy is a champ and he needs the footy community to support him

I'm not so sure...
"she "remembers saying no" and that she "felt trapped", the court heard"
Plus all the other non-gambling issues.
... Plus now the gambling.

Seems kinda like a guy who exhibits sexually aggressive behaviour, in addition to being a rapist enabler, who has shown a complete lack of loyalty to everyone who has supported him (family, employers, rich Collingwood benefactors, etc). Kinda sounds like a douche to me.

Last edited:
To settle the debate, gambling disorder is in the DSM V:

I'm not so sure...
"she "remembers saying no" and that she "felt trapped", the court heard"
Plus all the other non-gambling issues.
... Plus now the gambling.

Seems kinda like a guy who exhibits sexually aggressive behaviour, in addition to being a rapist enabler, who has shown a complete lack of loyalty to everyone who has supported him (family, employers, rich Collingwood benefactors, etc). Kinda sounds like a douche to me.

Did she say "no" to Dayne Beams or another man? Who was charged with rape exactly?
What other non-gambling issues?
How is he a rapist enabler?
How is moving states to be with your sick father, then coming back not loyal?
How has he not been loyal to his family?
Which rich COllingwood benefactors supported him?

WTF are u rambling about you women's day reader

Did she say "no" to Dayne Beams or another man? Who was charged with rape exactly?
What other non-gambling issues?
How is he a rapist enabler?
How is moving states to be with your sick father, then coming back not loyal?
How has he not been loyal to his family?
Which rich COllingwood benefactors supported him?

WTF are u rambling about you women's day reader

I'm on about the trial where Collingwood protected him:

'Nate introduces victim to Dayne Beams'?"
The policewoman, her finger tracing the words in her notebook in front of her, nods. "Correct."
"'Then Collingwood player, felt compelled to have sex but ... not forced.' Not forced?"
"Correct."
"'Two to four other naked males in the room'?"
"Correct."
"'Then they grab her and force her to perform oral sex on male and vaginal rape'?"
"Correct."
"'Remember saying 'No' '?"
"Correct."
"'Felt trapped'?"
Stafford nods again and repeats after him,
"Felt trapped."

About 4am, the two walked back to his house, where some of his friends were sitting around and drinking, including John McCarthy and Dayne Beams, both Collingwood footballers. They were celebrating their grand final win. After saying hello, Sarah and Nate went to his bedroom. Then, when they were close to having sex, the door opened and a few of the other guys came in.
Then I remember the policewoman at the committal. Sarah had told the police that she'd felt "compelled" to have sex with Beams, but "not forced".
"Those men had all the power," she says. "She was in a strange house, in a bedroom with most of her clothes off, and a bunch of guys she does not know came in expecting to f... her. I mean, did they even prepare themselves for the possibility of her saying no?"

Between two and four males, including a naked man in a doorway, came into a bedroom at the Dorcas St, South Melbourne, townhouse where the woman claimed she was raped, the court heard.
In cross-examining a close friend of the alleged victim, defence lawyer David Galbally, QC, said the woman had told him Dayne Beams and another man named Myles were on either side of her in the bedroom.
Mr Galbally: "She was telling you she had sex against her will - she was effectively raped by them."
Male friend: "Yes."

Last edited:
Bookies who let clients run up a 1.5 mill debt don't stay in business long, in fact I'd say the don't exist.

Why not? It's just paper losses. If they know AFL player X is just going to compulsively gamble until they lose there is no need to manage the book by changing the odds or laying off the money from their bets. Let them rack up a "debt" and if they pay you it is a bonus.

I don't think the long term injury list is relevant in the second half of the year now.

Several years ago rookies couldn't play unless they were elevated, and they got elevated to replace someone on the long term injury list. Now, rookies are just paid less but can play without being promoted.

The exception is for the mid season draft, but obviously that's already been.

To correct my own work, Long Term list still exists to promote category B rookies, as Richmond have done today

I'm astounded that he's spending time on FB feeding trolls with DM's, surley there's better things to fill your downtime with
Agree... get this man the form guide!

Nothing better than couple'a FROFFIES down at the Harp and A CHEEKY BIT OF PUNTING!!!!!!

Seems like a pretty messed up dude! Loved him as a Lion and was annoyed he left in the way he did but all the speculation around Eddie paying his debt makes a bit more sense.

Hope he gets himself right and stays off the punt because he is a gun.

Surely if Eddie pays the debt then that counts towards the salary cap.

the "mental health" excuse has been incredible for the AFL. "hamstring" was getting extremely stale, they've really done well with this one

He’s shining a light on ‘mental health’. Great stuff mate, that’ll really make a difference. Generic mental health problems with an innuendo on gambling addiction will be much benefitted by your braveness. Flog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you can’t distinguish between a physical & mental addiction?

Weren’t there a heap of bleeding hearts in the Cousins thread saying that drug addiction is a mental health issue. So you’re saying that no drug addiction is a mental health issue. That’s quite interesting, seems to be out of step with numerous so called experts.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/09/football-mental-health-record-numbers-pfa

Just google NBA players with Mental Health Issues' and NFL, and NRL. It's not an AFL-thing.

Josh Gordon is one of the biggest cases in the NFL. One of the most talented wide-receivers, but has long had a problem with drugs, he talked about drinking and smoking weed before playing which I find astounding. He stepped aside last year due to mental health, but it’s widely known that it’s related to his previous issues. The guy literally gave up a ring by stepping aside

Perhaps but I’m sure there would be a loophole. If the rumours are true that he only went back to Collingwood because his debt was paid off then wouldn’t that be a restraint of trade?
That break and then suddenly he's off to Tassie for hip surgery.

It absolutely stinks.

Not a hope Eddie stumped up a mil..

That's the most ludicrous part of the rumours about Beams; the rest is just pretty sad and it's past time that the AFL took strong action on this issue.

Eddie's loaded, but not 'give away $1.5 million to someone I'd maybe bump into once or twice a year if he didn't play footy for Collingwood' loaded. An immediate family member, yeah, OK, that would be a bit more reasonable.

That's the most ludicrous part of the rumours about Beams; the rest is just pretty sad and it's past time that the AFL took strong action on this issue.

Eddie's loaded, but not 'give away $1.5 million to someone I'd maybe bump into once or twice a year if he didn't play footy for Collingwood' loaded. An immediate family member, yeah, OK, that would be a bit more reasonable.

It would probably legally count as income too, meaning Beams would owe the ATO about $400k.

I just wish he'd stop using his father's death as a reason for his mental health issues, or 's**t' as you call it. Like he's the first person to lose a parent. Far worse to lose a child.
I don't think he did, he said he's been battling clinical depression & anxiety.

I don't think he did, he said he's been battling clinical depression & anxiety.
His grief over his father's death has been well documented in the media. Comes a time when you must accept and move on - overdue in his case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back