Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would normally agree with this, but not when it concerns Dayne Beams.

I would be embarrassed if we treated him in this manner. I know we have to look after the club, but I feel nothing but gratitude to Dayne for arriving at the Lions when he did (for reasons we know about) and for what he has done to help turn the club around and lift the image of a nearly dead club.

Seriously, what has Dayne Beams done other than 4 years of footy that we should screw ourselves over just in order to accommodate him, particularly given what we paid for him.

Seriously, why are you so negative and miserable?
Perhaps we should celebrate our best player walking out on the club after we gave up our two first round picks and a player (Crisp) that has given Collingwood more service than Beams has and will get practically get SFA for him.

Not to mention the example it will set to the likes of Witherden, Rayner, Cutler etc., who I bet will all leave the club in 3-5 years as a result of the path Beams will set.

Better yet; let’s celebrate it because god knows we’ll be a perennial feeder club for the Melbourne based clubs.

Perhaps we should celebrate our best player walking out on the club after we gave up our two first round picks and a player (Crisp) that has given Collingwood more service than Beams has and will get practically get SFA for him.

Not to mention the example it will set to the likes of Witherden, Rayner, Cutler etc., who I bet will all leave the club in 3-5 years as a result of the path Beams will set.

Better yet; let’s celebrate it because god knows we’ll be a perennial feeder club for the Melbourne based clubs.

Sheesh why waste energy on something that hasn’t happened yet and may never happen. Live in the moment is a saying for a reason.

The precedent for players opting out to Melbourne is a problem that we need to address, and making us a destination via loving and caring environment only goes so far. We might need an occasional strong arm.
ATM it’s all sunshine and giggles with our youngsters but if one goes it could open the floodgates. Again.

Totally agree.....any speculation, he has brought on himself .He is gossiping around the traps to mates down here,and at the sam time telling Fagan how great it all is looking .Its called protesting too much.Hes being paid a fortune, why cant he give a straight answer to anybody?Apart from which,he is a big problem in the centre square set up.Basically doesnt cut it....embarrassing at times.Hes a loose forward and great goal kicker.He doesn't defend,and we can get better by using this excellent draft,and letting him go,if thats what he's about.

I think it is healthy to imagine worst case scenarios in advance, so as to prepare oneself and not be caught by surprise by them. It's an important part of stoic practice. But the key part is to not drive yourself into gloom and recriminations about it but to prepare yourself to cope with the worst that happens.

If you drive yourself into angst over rumours if they come true you'll just be worse off afterwards and even if not you'll still be bitter that they weren't disconfirmed earlier. It's just not healthy.

For mine, I reckon he's still battling with the decision, there's a part of him that's rather be with family but a big part that wants to see the course through. We'll see. It's certainly to be preferred that he stays. But the bitterness and angst about it in the meantime just seem unproductive and unhealthy to me.

I think it is healthy to imagine worst case scenarios in advance, so as to prepare oneself and not be caught by surprise by them. It's an important part of stoic practice. But the key part is to not drive yourself into gloom and recriminations about it but to prepare yourself to cope with the worst that happens.

If you drive yourself into angst over rumours if they come true you'll just be worse off afterwards and even if not you'll still be bitter that they weren't disconfirmed earlier. It's just not healthy.

For mine, I reckon he's still battling with the decision, there's a part of him that's rather be with family but a big part that wants to see the course through. We'll see. It's certainly to be preferred that he stays. But the bitterness and angst about it in the meantime just seem unproductive and unhealthy to me.

There’s noise about Dayne moving to be with family but his brother Claye, who is going through the same grief, is here in Brisbane without noise of leaving.

His sister and mum don’t get mentioned - are they in Melbourne?

There’s noise about Dayne moving to be with family but his brother Claye, who is going through the same grief, is here in Brisbane without noise of leaving.

His sister and mum don’t get mentioned - are they in Melbourne?
Not 100% on the details, but I think his parents had separated and the rest of the family was down in Melbourne, basically.

I'm not sure what percentage of the AFL media currently involved in noisemaking about Dayne are aware that Claye exists.

This board is rather bi-polar at the moment. Immense positivity one week, doomsday the next.

Beams will probably go at season's end (as will Claye). We need to wear this and try and get a faster, harder-tackling mid to replace him. We will probably be better off.

A top 10 Brownlow finish in consecutive years and 2 years left on his contract? Why would you trade him for anything less? Gibbs went for 2 first round picks last year, i don’t see why we wouldn’t be asking for anything different.

We won't get 1 first round pick for him. Not enough strings to his bow anymore for how the game is currently played.

Always prepare for the worst, yet hope for the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The precedent for players opting out to Melbourne is a problem that we need to address, and making us a destination via loving and caring environment only goes so far. We might need an occasional strong arm.
ATM it’s all sunshine and giggles with our youngsters but if one goes it could open the floodgates. Again.

Great post. The club can't be soft all the time. Contracts are contracts...they should be honoured unless in extreme situations. Everything sets a precedent.

I think it is healthy to imagine worst case scenarios in advance, so as to prepare oneself and not be caught by surprise by them. It's an important part of stoic practice.

It’s also a seriously unhealthy problem for people with anxiety disorders.

I find Beams season an interesting one. Gets possessions, skills are better than most however I do notice a lack of tackling and defensive running. I think that he also is less of a leader out on the field after relinquishing the captaincy. However, his worth for us is more than what we could get in a trade. Our young midfield (and our area of build/need) needs him more than another draftee. I hope he stays.

While not underestimating his on field presence, Beams loss off the paddock will possibly be the greater one.

I think a few here have conveniently glossed over the behind the scenes contribution Beams has made in stabilising and harmonizing the playing group in the last few years.

Especially the part he plays in retaining our younger guys.

If he goes he goes. Personally I hope like hell he doesn't.

But the idea he hasn't been worth it or owes the club something is a long way off the mark.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

This board is rather bi-polar at the moment. Immense positivity one week, doomsday the next.

Beams will probably go at season's end (as will Claye). We need to wear this and try and get a faster, harder-tackling mid to replace him. We will probably be better off.

I'm happy to wait for the exchange... I don't get the vibe that he will leave, despite media rumblings mainly based on hearsay...And we can only go on what Beams has said...
“I said it to my family that the last three years have been the best of my life, not only because I got to spend them with my dad.
“But I have really enjoyed footy again, the last years at Collingwood I was getting to the point where I wasn’t enjoying it.

“I feel like the last three years have really fast tracked my growth.
“There has been a lot happening, I’ve got married had my first child and about to have my second one.’’
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...r/news-story/62bb622a0cd2c4076bc6188e32945ac3

But entertaining the Media idea...I revisited what Collingwood said when Beams requested a trade
Magpies CEO Gary Pert said Beams was in the top 15 players in the AFL and Brisbane would find it difficult to get him north.
“He’s (Beams) right at the top of the tree as a talent,” Pert said on Melbourne radio yesterday.
“You’re always going to have to pay more money to take someone out of a club.
If they’re contracted as well, that’s a whole different thing. That’s like knocking on someone’s front door and saying ‘I want to buy your house’, even though you’re not wanting to sell it.
“You’re looking at a pretty hefty premium there.
We can be considerate and sympathetic to the pressures he’s (Beams) feeling at the moment, but at the same time he’s an important part of the club.
“Our preference is to come up with a solution where he remains a player at the club
and, potentially, this is a short-term issue that he needs to get through.’’
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...d/news-story/0a7153b3292a71c5ab232af8bef1e90d

Moving aside from the discussion of what a trade would look like for a moment.
What does the team look like next year if he leaves? We’re finally starting to play some good football and I think him leaving slows our progression yet again. There’s too much talent on the list now for it to fall over (I hope) but it looked as though we could jump to the 8-10 win mark. If he leaves it could be another long year.

What does the team look like next year if he leaves? We’re finally starting to play some good football and I think him leaving slows our progression yet again. There’s too much talent on the list now for it to fall over (I hope) but it looked as though we could jump to the 8-10 win mark. If he leaves it could be another long year.

Short term setback (depending on what we bring in) for potential medium to long term gain.

Comes down to who we trade in. If we got an experienced mid like a Wallis or better, it may not have a massive impact especially if our first and second year players this year take another step forward. McCluggage spending more time in the guts for one would help a lot if he's up to it. Big ask though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back