Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Dayne Beams

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd wreck the tatts then!
So you wouldn’t cut up Beams?

Solomon would then say, you really want Beams.

(Who you did pick. Ah he is good Solomon.)

Beams for me.

Better player overall.

Ofcourse the longer Williams is retired the better he’ll become :p

Terrific player but Beams is a step above in my view.

It's funny you mention that because I clearly recall discussing with Collingwood mates during that time period when will Willo go past Bucks as our most damaging player?

Bloke was shunted between half forward, centre, half back and probably only had one bad season as a pie (99) but who didn't that year...

Williams was much better than Beams defensively as well, if I remember correctly Williams led our tackling count on at least three occasions and only would have been out of the top 5 at worst twice in his Collingwood career...

It's funny you mention that because I clearly recall discussing with Collingwood mates during that time period when will Willo go past Bucks as our most damaging player?

Bloke was shunted between half forward, centre, half back and probably only had one bad season as a pie (99) but who didn't that year...

Williams was much better than Beams defensively as well, if I remember correctly Williams led our tackling count on at least three occasions and only would have been out of the top 5 at worst twice in his Collingwood career...
Certainly a very good player.
No doubting that.
You make a compelling case when you list the above.

I was a big fan of Williams. I am big fan of Beams. Tough choice. I'd take Williams at his best right now because we need his pace and run but it's line ball. It's unfortunate that we lost both in the peak of their careers.

trying to cast my memory back. was he part of the Rocca trade. or was he the Mark Orchard Paul Licura trade ?

My memory is that he was traded for 2 draft picks. Can't recall the fine detail.

EDIT: "
Paul Williams was traded to Sydney for pick No. 8 and No. 39. Pick No. 8 was then on traded to Fremantle for Brodie Holland, James Clement and pick No. 22. Mal Michael and pick No. 22 was traded to Brisbane for Jarrod Molloy and pick 44. Pick 44 was then on traded to Geelong for Carl Steinfort. Ricky Olarenshaw and pick No. 39 was traded to North Melbourne for pick No. 37.
**Note: Pick 8 ended up at North Melbourne after Fremantle sent it to Arden Street (along with pick No. 6 and Jess Sinclair) in exchange for Peter Bell.
"

My memory is that he was traded for 2 draft picks. Can't recall the fine detail.

EDIT: "
Paul Williams was traded to Sydney for pick No. 8 and No. 39. Pick No. 8 was then on traded to Fremantle for Brodie Holland, James Clement and pick No. 22. Mal Michael and pick No. 22 was traded to Brisbane for Jarrod Molloy and pick 44. Pick 44 was then on traded to Geelong for Carl Steinfort. Ricky Olarenshaw and pick No. 39 was traded to North Melbourne for pick No. 37.
**Note: Pick 8 ended up at North Melbourne after Fremantle sent it to Arden Street (along with pick No. 6 and Jess Sinclair) in exchange for Peter Bell.
"
wow that was a very good trade on our behalf then. i used love watching Molloy. shame his body couldn't hold up.

The Clement trade was not a deal for Williams. We had other picks and has been shown by jathanas above there were plenty of player/draft pick trades. We surely could have got Clement in a seperate deal. He wasn't setting the world on fire at Freo. Add Williams to the 2002 and 2003 side and there's a chance we win a flag. Hell, keep Michael and we probably win. Molloy was a dud deal. Holland was handy.

I always regretted losing Williams and was never consoled by getting Clement. Hell of a player but clubs that win flags get those players without that sort of sacrifice. Michael and Williams were both money issues. Williams had some issues with his business in Tassie that he shared with Graham Wright from memory. Michael wanted more money and Malthouse didn't think he was worth it. He said that at the time and it is illustrated by the deal.

The Clement trade was not a deal for Williams. We had other picks and has been shown by jathanas above there were plenty of player/draft pick trades. We surely could have got Clement in a seperate deal. He wasn't setting the world on fire at Freo. Add Williams to the 2002 and 2003 side and there's a chance we win a flag. Hell, keep Michael and we probably win. Molloy was a dud deal. Holland was handy.

I always regretted losing Williams and was never consoled by getting Clement. Hell of a player but clubs that win flags get those players without that sort of sacrifice. Michael and Williams were both money issues. Williams had some issues with his business in Tassie that he shared with Graham Wright from memory. Michael wanted more money and Malthouse didn't think he was worth it. He said that at the time and it is illustrated by the deal.

You're on the money in both cases.

Still thought the SMS from Michael to Molloy after the GF was not a class act; damn good defender though.

Back