News Beams steps down as Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that Beams has categorically affirmed his intention to honor his contract at the Lions, it begs the question of whether or not he will resume his captaincy role in 2019. I got the impression at the time of the handover to Zorko that the transition was to allow Beams to focus on his own emotional well-being and that the door was always open for him to return, if and when he wanted that...

Now that Beams has categorically affirmed his intention to honor his contract at the Lions, it begs the question of whether or not he will resume his captaincy role in 2019. I got the impression at the time of the handover to Zorko that the transition was to allow Beams to focus on his own emotional well-being and that the door was always open for him to return, if and when he wanted that...

I'd rather he didn't resume the captaincy. I think we might get more out of him as a player without him holding that responsibility, allow him to just go and play and enjoy his footy. We have to remember too that he has all but confirmed he will be leaving in two years time back to Melbourne. A lot of things can change between now and then and he may end up staying and seeing out his career with us, but I think it unlikely that Fages and Nobes would want a captain with that uncertainty around him wanting to be at the club long term.

I think we will probably stick with Zorko as captain next year, possibly the one after. Sure, there are things he needs to work on, but he'd be aware of that and will try and clean a few of those things up. We obviously have some strong younger leaders in Berry, Andrews etc. but I think its a bit too early too be throwing them the catpaincy at this stage.

It might be best for Beams to focus on himself for a while.

I'm wondering if the time has come to transition to Harris Andrews. Presumably it will happen at some point.

Maybe a year of co-captaining with Zorko before Andrews takes over.

He put his hand up for the captaincy when our choices were thin. Now with Zorks and the young blokes coming through I think he just works on his game. Captaincy is not something that is a natural thing for him anyway I think

Players usually lose a fair bit of weight over the season. Zorko also looked pretty thin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw the pics and I agree, lost shitloads of weight.

Also, Walker is punching way above his weight. :p
View attachment 554044
It's the new lid, makes him look 25 instead of 35.

Having a look on instagram most of the boys are going very well in that department, not that looks matter because we're not that superficial, it's all about the personality.

It's the new lid, makes him look 25 instead of 35.

Having a look on instagram most of the boys are going very well in that department, not that looks matter because we're not that superficial, it's all about the personality.

Yeah because I'm sure she'd be with him if he was an overweight, IT worker and not a wealthy, 6 foot 6, sportsman.

My understanding is the players vote in the captain/leadership group during the preseason, this process will not change next year so could well see Beams in again although personally I doubt it.

My understanding is the players vote in the captain/leadership group during the preseason, this process will not change next year so could well see Beams in again although personally I doubt it.

I’d assume the players would nominate if they want to assume a leadership role?

I’d assume the players would nominate if they want to assume a leadership role?
This is my thinking too. I'd guess after such a tough year he won't nominate. If he does he's highly respected by the younger players so could be back in. Regardless is a leader of the club and I'm glad he's sticking around.

Just saw the pics and I agree, lost shitloads of weight.

Also, Walker is punching way above his weight. :p
View attachment 554044
Not that I check out other blokes, but I've never thought of Walker as an unattractive man. He's probably in the top 5% of Australian male specimens.

If you want to see some one punching above their weight, you should check out me and my missus. Not that I'm about to post photo's of us on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back