News Beams taking indefinite leave for mental health

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Probably highly unlikely but I'd love to get Beamer back around the same time as Stevo, both improve our team substantially.

76woodenspooners

Premium Platinum
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Where did you see this? Probably the best outcome from the club’s perspective (outside of Dayne recovering fully obviously).
Best outcome from the club’s perspective is that he gets well, gets back, and plays good footy. He’s still only 29 and at his best he’s a damn fine player.

Can’t imagine where we’d find the currency to draft or trade a player who would be anywhere near as good anytime soon. Trade Grundy perhaps?

sirlothie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Best outcome from the club’s perspective is that he gets well, gets back, and plays good footy. He’s still only 29 and at his best he’s a damn fine player.

Can’t imagine where we’d find the currency to draft or trade a player who would be anywhere near as good anytime soon. Trade Grundy perhaps?
Brisbane Lions improve out of sight without him. Coincidence? The fact is he's a downer, most thing he says and does is negative. He puts his weight on everybody.

HeathComeBack

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Brisbane Lions improve out of sight without him. Coincidence? The fact is he's a downer, most thing he says and does is negative. He puts his weight on everybody.
well we won a premiership with him so imagine how good we would have been without him....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HeathComeBack

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Then he put a dampener on the celebrations real quick didn't he...
come on dude that is a huge clutch at straws. You say you have had similar problems yet all you do is denigrate him for the same thing. FWIW i was no fan of him coming back but we have him now, there is nothing we can do about it, so just accept it and hope he gets better, even if he doesnt play again.

sirlothie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
come on dude that is a huge clutch at straws. You say you have had similar problems yet all you do is denigrate him for the same thing. FWIW i was no fan of him coming back but we have him now, there is nothing we can do about it, so just accept it and hope he gets better, even if he doesnt play again.
I'm just saying some people go through equal or worse stuff, Varcoe, Riewoldt, Roughead, N. Daniher, and come out an inspiration. Some people drag you down with them... It's his make up.

HeathComeBack

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm just saying some people go through equal or worse stuff, Varcoe, Riewoldt, Roughead, N. Daniher, and come out an inspiration. Some people drag you down with them... It's his make up.
I doubt Brisbane would have made him captain if that was true but we really are speculating arent we

sirlothie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I doubt Brisbane would have made him captain if that was true but we really are speculating arent we
In 2010 he was still just breaking in and not the most important player, then he grew to be Collingwood's best player in hard times and then Brisbane's best player in hard times so for the most part success has avoided him and since his latest switch Collingwood has gone down with the weight of the world on their shoulders and Brisbane playing well with reckless abandon like we did last year. The pattern is there. He's not the greatest locker room influence, it's a fact.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Very disappointing outcome from this trade.

Seems strange to announce you are stepping away from the club when you are faced with months of rehab.

Love to see him back and at somehwere near his best but, I'm suddenly feeling rather skeptical and quite pessimistic about Beamer's return to the club.

Last edited:

sirlothie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is he really like that? How did you come to that assessment?
Like I said he's not the first or only football identity to face problems but most look to the positives of the situation and when they are rallied around become inspiring tales of overcoming adversity. Beams get wrapped up in his own misery and drags everyone else down with him. It's how he's wired, he can't help his traits but it's a fact. He exudes negative vibes.

76woodenspooners

Premium Platinum
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has been suffering from pretty strong case of depression for a while now, he's probably not a happy chap day to day...
Not necessarily at all.

You’ve never come across somebody having committed suicide with those who were close to them saying “Damn, it doesn’t make any sense! He/she was such a happy-go-lucky person ...”

76woodenspooners

Premium Platinum
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Like I said he's not the first or only football identity to face problems but most look to the positives of the situation and when they are rallied around become inspiring tales of overcoming adversity. Beams get wrapped up in his own misery and drags everyone else down with him. It's how he's wired, he can't help his traits but it's a fact. He exudes negative vibes.
Yeah, I understood what you said the first time, I’m just wondering where you got that “fact” from?

Sure, he doesn’t exude the positive vibes of Jayden Stephenson or Tyson Goldsack, but not many do. Apart from the interview Beams did about his mental health, I don’t reckon his demeanour was really much different to a Scott Pendlebury or a Jordan DeGoey.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not necessarily at all.

You’ve never come across somebody having committed suicide with those who were close to them saying “Damn, it doesn’t make any sense! He/she was such a happy-go-lucky person ...”
Yeah some people are determined to hide it, don't think Beams has really tried to hide how he's feeling though, especially when you look at his social media. I'm not at the club so it's just speculation.

sirlothie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not necessarily at all.

Look at the difference between Nick Maxwell and Dayne Beams though. The fact is if Beams wasn't a star footballer he wouldn't have lasted this long and he won't have a future in coaching or media once he's done playing. He's a chequered individual.

sirlothie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I understood what you said the first time, I’m just wondering where you got that “fact” from?

Sure, he doesn’t exude the positive vibes of Jayden Stephenson or Tyson Goldsack, but not many do. Apart from the interview Beams did about his mental health, I don’t reckon his demeanour was really much different to a Scott Pendlebury or a Jordan DeGoey.
Huge difference. Pendles stories are about mentoring other players, his dedication to his craft. De Goey volunteering his time to charity, determined to grow up and learn from his mistakes. Dayne Beams all about Dayne Beams problems.

Top Bottom