(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quicky

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Thread starter #28
I think we overpaid. Two first rounders for a 29yo in an area of the field we have covered is steep. Especially one with a checkered injury record. I'm not so fussed about this years first rounder given the circumstances around Quaynor and Kelly. However the future 1st could really hurt and i'm not happy about losing it. It could be used on youth or as a bargaining chip to chase key position players next year.

I am stoked to have Beams back. The guy is quality. He would have been huge at times this year when we got beat up in the clearances. He'll allow Steele to spend more time on the wing. He'll allow De Goey to stick forward. So the pay off here is big. But I still think we overpaid.

domus

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Yes, we overpaid. Two first rounders for a player who has likely already peaked, and may only have a couple of seasons left, is not good value. It won’t likely be felt too much this year, but entering the draft in the 30’s next year will be a blow.

Having said that, if Kelly and/or Quaynor become very good players, or we win a flag with Beams, no-one will likely care.
A couple of seasons? This recent fad of wiping blokes off once they hit thirty is ridiculous.

Nicco_jj

Bigfooty Kid
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Somewhat yes, but let's have a look at it in totality... Regarding Beams, over 5 years, we've got him, De Goey, Crisp and Greenwood (3 top 10 players and 1 22 player) for pick 18 and potentially pick 10+.

I think it's worth the trade off.

CFC2010

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think we overpaid. Two first rounders for a 29yo in an area of the field we have covered is steep. Especially one with a checkered injury record. I'm not so fussed about this years first rounder given the circumstances around Quaynor and Kelly. However the future 1st could really hurt and i'm not happy about losing it. It could be used on youth or as a bargaining chip to chase key position players next year.

I am stoked to have Beams back. The guy is quality. He would have been huge at times this year when we got beat up in the clearances. He'll allow Steele to spend more time on the wing. He'll allow De Goey to stick forward. So the pay off here is big. But I still think we overpaid.
I like your rationale Quicky but when I factor in Quaynor an Kelly I think the deal is fine.

Even if one of those boys becomes a 200 game player then the first round pick 2019 is irrelevant.

As for Beams we know what we will get........I don’t agree that his career is on the decline from this point on.........29 is not old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Collingwood
I am looking forward to watching Beams, Adams, Sier, Treloar and Grundy together at the bounce. Not to mention Sidebottom, Stephenson, De Goey and Pendlebury. Talent that bats deep. :footy::D:rainbow:

76woodenspooners

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Collingwood
I voted ‘No’.

The club clearly felt the price was acceptable, therefore I felt it was acceptable.

Beams is the same vintage as Sidebottom and two years behind Pendlebury .. so I reckon Beams still has plenty to give.

Obviously the picture will be clearer when we figure out the draft position of Kelly and IQ plus whoever else we pick up. Also when we see that Beams gets on the park and (fingers crossed) stays injury free.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Yes.

I've made my comments about Beams in multiple other threads, so don't need to rehash them here. (being "icing" rather than a clear need - KPF or KPD).

But I think we are overrating our position in 2019, and that 1st round draft pick is what will be the difference.

If that pick ends up 16-18, then it is probably a fair trade.

But if I were a betting man, I would bet that that pick lands in the 10-15 range, and is just as likely to end up at 10-12, than it is at 16-18. If its a 10-12 pick, then we've badly overpaid for a 29yo midfielder.

Nebula1971

Club Legend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
F1 McLaren
No, we got him at a fair price.

Pendles
Sidebottom
Treloar
Wells
Beams
DeGoey
Sier
Adams

With Grundy in the ruck..

That's out of control

Can anyone explain why I can’t see poll’s? I’m sure it’s something simple.

Obese Arachnid

Supercoach Board Enthusiast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
There are no other teams.
I voted ‘No’.

The club clearly felt the price was acceptable, therefore I felt it was acceptable.

Beams is the same vintage as Sidebottom and two years behind Pendlebury .. so I reckon Beams still has plenty to give.

Obviously the picture will be clearer when we figure out the draft position of Kelly and IQ plus whoever else we pick up. Also when we see that Beams gets on the park and (fingers crossed) stays injury free.
I'm just waiting for the outrage when IQ gets bid on after pick 18.:p

TradeDraft

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, we overpaid. Two first rounders for a player who has likely already peaked, and may only have a couple of seasons left, is not good value. It won’t likely be felt too much this year, but entering the draft in the 30’s next year will be a blow.

Having said that, if Kelly and/or Quaynor become very good players, or we win a flag with Beams, no-one will likely care.
Yep. Be very Quiet in next year Trade and Draft times

Top Bottom