Opinion Beams Trade [Officially derailed: Now disussing the folly of gambling, net negative players and the merit of Sier]

Beams deal: Did we overpay?

• Yes

Votes: 107 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 159 59.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I think we overpaid. Two first rounders for a 29yo in an area of the field we have covered is steep. Especially one with a checkered injury record. I'm not so fussed about this years first rounder given the circumstances around Quaynor and Kelly. However the future 1st could really hurt and i'm not happy about losing it. It could be used on youth or as a bargaining chip to chase key position players next year.

I am stoked to have Beams back. The guy is quality. He would have been huge at times this year when we got beat up in the clearances. He'll allow Steele to spend more time on the wing. He'll allow De Goey to stick forward. So the pay off here is big. But I still think we overpaid.

rusty old av's are overrated, try living a little.
giphy.gif

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Yes, we overpaid. Two first rounders for a player who has likely already peaked, and may only have a couple of seasons left, is not good value. It won’t likely be felt too much this year, but entering the draft in the 30’s next year will be a blow.

Having said that, if Kelly and/or Quaynor become very good players, or we win a flag with Beams, no-one will likely care.
A couple of seasons? This recent fad of wiping blokes off once they hit thirty is ridiculous.

Nicco_jj

Bigfooty Kid
Apr 27, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Somewhat yes, but let's have a look at it in totality... Regarding Beams, over 5 years, we've got him, De Goey, Crisp and Greenwood (3 top 10 players and 1 22 player) for pick 18 and potentially pick 10+.

I think it's worth the trade off.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think we overpaid. Two first rounders for a 29yo in an area of the field we have covered is steep. Especially one with a checkered injury record. I'm not so fussed about this years first rounder given the circumstances around Quaynor and Kelly. However the future 1st could really hurt and i'm not happy about losing it. It could be used on youth or as a bargaining chip to chase key position players next year.

I am stoked to have Beams back. The guy is quality. He would have been huge at times this year when we got beat up in the clearances. He'll allow Steele to spend more time on the wing. He'll allow De Goey to stick forward. So the pay off here is big. But I still think we overpaid.

I like your rationale Quicky but when I factor in Quaynor an Kelly I think the deal is fine.

Even if one of those boys becomes a 200 game player then the first round pick 2019 is irrelevant.

As for Beams we know what we will get........I don’t agree that his career is on the decline from this point on.........29 is not old.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

Bird on a wire

Debutant
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am looking forward to watching Beams, Adams, Sier, Treloar and Grundy together at the bounce. Not to mention Sidebottom, Stephenson, De Goey and Pendlebury. Talent that bats deep. :footy::D:rainbow:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I voted ‘No’.

The club clearly felt the price was acceptable, therefore I felt it was acceptable.

Beams is the same vintage as Sidebottom and two years behind Pendlebury .. so I reckon Beams still has plenty to give.

Obviously the picture will be clearer when we figure out the draft position of Kelly and IQ plus whoever else we pick up. Also when we see that Beams gets on the park and (fingers crossed) stays injury free.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Yes.

I've made my comments about Beams in multiple other threads, so don't need to rehash them here. (being "icing" rather than a clear need - KPF or KPD).

But I think we are overrating our position in 2019, and that 1st round draft pick is what will be the difference.

If that pick ends up 16-18, then it is probably a fair trade.

But if I were a betting man, I would bet that that pick lands in the 10-15 range, and is just as likely to end up at 10-12, than it is at 16-18. If its a 10-12 pick, then we've badly overpaid for a 29yo midfielder.

Nebula1971

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
F1 McLaren
No, we got him at a fair price.

Pendles
Sidebottom
Treloar
Wells
Beams
DeGoey
Sier
Adams

With Grundy in the ruck..

That's out of control

Can anyone explain why I can’t see poll’s? I’m sure it’s something simple.

Pick 18, pick 15-18 next year & pick 56 for
De Goey, Crisp, Greenwood, pick 41 & 44. + Beams

Very good trading!

You missed a very important part of the trade, edited above ;)

I voted ‘No’.

The club clearly felt the price was acceptable, therefore I felt it was acceptable.

Beams is the same vintage as Sidebottom and two years behind Pendlebury .. so I reckon Beams still has plenty to give.

Obviously the picture will be clearer when we figure out the draft position of Kelly and IQ plus whoever else we pick up. Also when we see that Beams gets on the park and (fingers crossed) stays injury free.
I'm just waiting for the outrage when IQ gets bid on after pick 18.:p

giphy.gif

Yes, we overpaid. Two first rounders for a player who has likely already peaked, and may only have a couple of seasons left, is not good value. It won’t likely be felt too much this year, but entering the draft in the 30’s next year will be a blow.

Having said that, if Kelly and/or Quaynor become very good players, or we win a flag with Beams, no-one will likely care.

Yep. Be very Quiet in next year Trade and Draft times

I reckon Greenwood or Mayne are out for Beams. I would be playing Roughead in the VFL.

Roughy I say play down Back as Dunn and Shaz coming back from ACL's

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back