Opinion Beams Trade [Officially derailed: Now disussing the folly of gambling, net negative players and the merit of Sier]

Beams deal: Did we overpay?

• Yes

Votes: 107 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 159 59.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would almost guarantee that's why he said it - he may well have not even had a preference, just wanted to get to Victoria somehow.

His statement that was along the lines of "Melbourne just convinced me more how I would fit in to the side" (I think that's what he said) did not ring true to me because any team he met with could have told him how he would fit into a side as a gun key defender.
Yeah, he claimed that the clubs he met with explained how he would help them, but Melbourne explained what they could do for him, and said that's what convinced him. But if the tables were turned, he probably would have said the same thing about the pies. I suppose, what else was he going to say? Not like anyone but him would know whether that was the truth or not.

David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
David Astbury is out of contract and a restricted free agent next year. He'd make a lot of sense as we'd be looking at someone to replace Dunn in the near future.
Go hard at Astbury and he will probably be yours. Richmond have Garthwaite ready to go who can't get a game at the moment plus a bulging CAP.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
You always pay kidnappers overs for the safe return of your children
BB5A286D-1DC9-443E-AFFD-4D08DCA9B593.jpeg

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Correct.

The only way to get high valued talent is to part with big value (draft pick or player).

If Moore is healthy we will not feel a may angst; very excited by what Moore should bring.

Well not quite, with Free Agency. Look at Tom Lynch it doesn't require a draft pick or player if the player is uncontracted.

But yes, I think Moore will be a better player than Stephen May. He's taller and more athletic.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well not quite, with Free Agency. Look at Tom Lynch it doesn't require a draft pick or player if the player is uncontracted.

But yes, I think Moore will be a better player than Stephen May. He's taller and more athletic.
You would be correct if May wanted to play another year at Suns then move readily to us.

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
You would be correct if May wanted to play another year at Suns then move readily to us.
Actually I was absolutely correct, there is more than one way to get high quality talent on another list other than giving away talent or draft picks as you had contended.
But yes, the FA approach didn't apply to May last season as he remained in contract.

In theory, Astbury is someone we could try and secure to replace Dunn. But why would he move to Collingwood (or elsewhere) when he is regularly playing at a strong club just down the road and where he has established connections. We'd have to be offering him quite a bit more coin and our salary cap can't be much healthier than Richmond's.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Steven May is a great player but not the type we needed. His attacking game is one of the best among key defenders but he is liable when it comes to playing one-on-one and beating his man. Scharenberg I have faith if he can finally get over his injury hurdles can exceed May’s output given he is much stronger defensively than May and is still developing. As far as attacking and intercepting, we already get great service through Howe, Langdon and Moore. We need a #1 key defender to succeed Dunn and May wasn’t it since he can’t play a man.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Steven May is a great player but not the type we needed. His attacking game is one of the best among key defenders but he is liable when it comes to playing one-on-one and beating his man. Scharenberg I have faith if he can finally get over his injury hurdles can exceed May’s output given he is much stronger defensively than May and is still developing. As far as attacking and intercepting, we already get great service through Howe, Langdon and Moore. We need a #1 key defender to succeed Dunn and May wasn’t it since he can’t play a man.
Our defense has no issues. Even with all the injuries we held WC under 80 points.

not much has to change. we lost a GF by 1 goal.

Our defense has no issues. Even with all the injuries we held WC under 80 points.

not much has to change. we lost a GF by 1 goal.

I agree. Plus if we can get even 2 of Dunn, Moore & Roughead to play most weeks we will be much better placed against opposition talls.
Considering we basically had no tall KPD's all finals we did pretty well.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ask me after this season if we overpayed. Really we still got 2 decent picks in the draft. If we win a flag I’d have been happy to give up our next 10 first rounders tbh.
You’re right, hindsight will tell. Also we don’t know if the Beams kids will be any good and Brisbane can’t F&S them, so maybe a win for next Gen.

You’re right, hindsight will tell. Also we don’t know if the Beams kids will be any good and Brisbane can’t F&S them, so maybe a win for next Gen.
I heard that Beamsey's kids go alright!

Attachments

• 1547435749261.png
    1547435749261.png
    600.5 KB · Views: 190
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's still learning his role, but his form is down on recent years. He looks slow to me -- maybe niggles he was carrying earlier in the year?

Anyway, we've paid overs but he's still an elite talent so we won't know until the end of the year.

With our injuries he might be our last man standing!

Back