Remove this Banner Ad

SchuPie

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Canucks
It sucks. I’m really angry at the club for doing this. No player should have to spend most or all of their debut on the bench.
Agree I hate it

I also think the original sub rule killed whatever chance Ben Kennedy ever had of making it (and prob a few other young players from other clubs)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
To Buckley's point in the press conference, it wasn't an ideal 'debut', but McCreery would have rathered this scenario than not being in the team at all, and the committee picked the best combination of 22 plus 1 players to get the job done. What would you have expected? That Bucks would have dropped a player that otherwise deserved the spot to accomodate Beau? Or not picked Beau as the 23rd man despite deserving it?

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
He also may now have immortality in the game (and trivia circles) as the the first ever debutant to not get on the ground at all in their debut game.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
He also may now have immortality in the game (and trivia circles) as the the first ever debutant to not get on the ground at all in their debut game.
Hawthorn's Connor Downie did the same thing in his debut game in Rd. 1 (the first time this has happened with a medical substitute), but there will have been a fair few players over the years who have sat on the bench for the whole of their first game.

Hawthorn's Connor Downie did the same thing in his debut game in Rd. 1 (the first time this has happened with a medical substitute), but there will have been a fair few players over the years who have sat on the bench for the whole of their first game.
Yep - a lot have forgotten or are too young to know that the interchange bench used to be used a bit like the medical sub.

I don't see the big deal. Used to be standard in the VFL and is standard in other major sports - soccer, basketball, etc...
It’s not the 1980’s anymore. They fly parents out for this sort of stuff and everything now, the clubs have turned it in to a big deal over the past 20 years and now they’re ruining it. Imagine how Beau and his parents felt, being flown out for their sons debut only to have him sit on the bench all night. It’s s**t, and what happened 30+ years ago in a different era has no relevance to it.

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Someone will be a sub not get on field and never play again...will be a trivia question one day.

Also sounds odd but I feel if mcreery had of came on for mayne we win..

Buckley should of made this happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back