rusling_28

Rookie
May 16, 2005
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
West Tigers
Is he way too much of a risk at pick 5? I have no idea, but the more i read about this kid the more he sounds like he could be winning games off his own boot once he's fully recovered. But i guess thats the biggest question. I'm just after some feed back from people who are far more educated than myself on the subject of drafting.
Would you feel robbed if we took him at pick 5?
Cheers guys.

There's the dilemma, go for solid and unspectacular (Hurn) or special and suspect (Muston)? There are 15 kids all bunched together so the first round could be a case of chook lotto. Muston's MO in the couple of games I saw was him starting behind or even with his man then in a split second being 5 five meters clear, he was a jet before the knee but do you take the risk? I can see him in brown and gold, with 5 picks in the first 22 the Hawks can afford to role the dice.

FIGJAM said:
I'd like to know how he did his knee.

If it was twisted in a pack or copped a knock, then he might be OK. If it went twang ala Tommy D, then we'd be daft to use pick 5 on him.

good point, nobody is invicible. But i am sure that will be taken into account.
I would take him at 21 if he is still around but i am not sure that he will be. IMO a potential number 1 draft pick had he not done his knee

could this be the answer you guys are looking for!? seems to me he could well be available at pick 21 and i suggest we take him.

Beau Muston hopeful for draft
20 November 2005 Sunday Herald Sun

POTENTIAL top-10 draftee Beau Muston hopes uncertainty about his reconstructed left knee will not scare away clubs.

The Murray Bushrangers midfielder was the dominant player in the TAC Cup until a freak on-field accident forced him to have surgery to repair his anterior cruciate ligament.

Muston had an MRI scan last week before being advised by surgeon Julian Feller that graft had not bonded as well as hoped and would require another arthroscope to inspect the joint.

That will happen after Muston is selected next week.

Muston, 18, hopes it will be only four weeks until he can resume his rehabilitation from the ACL injury.

"Doing (my knee in June), I thought my chances were over, because I wasn't in the system last year," he said.

"Getting to the draft camp boosted my confidence a little bit, then getting that news that (the graft) hasn't taken that well, that put me back in my box a bit. "I have still been talking to a few clubs and it doesn't really bother them. If the arthroscope comes up well, it's all good

magpies42 said:
...until a freak on-field accident...
Well then we have to consider him, even at 5. If there's no reason he won't get over it, then he won't be there at 21. Surely our recruiters have seen enough and he's young enough to assume that in two years time, he'll be as good as gold.

AB from Hotrod's said MM was on SEN and reckons Ellis is a lock for #2 (unless MM is foxing) and that you can bet we won't be taking players under an injury cloud.

You can probably rule Muston out. Thomas is the strong tip.

FIGJAM said:
AB from Hotrod's said MM was on SEN and reckons Ellis is a lock for #2 (unless MM is foxing)
MM wasn't foxing at all. Infact, you could easily tell that Ellis will be drafted at Pick#2. He also mentioned that we would draft Murphy with Pick#2 if Carlton don't draft him with the first pick.

But lock in Ellis for #2!

Mick also said we won't be going near players with injury question marks and after the last couple of years it's probably the smart way to go.

Considering that we would rather have Murphy than Ellis, there's no reason not to say who we really want. The only thing that could stop us from getting our man at #2 is if Carlton took him at #1, which would mean that Murphy would come to Collingwood.

If we took him at #5 it would be a waste. Our top 2 picks (Ellis and Muston) would not even be considered for selection in the first year. Also, on the topic, I think Dale Thomas should not be considered for #5. A lot of people think he may not be cut out for a constant mid role. And we already have enough players like him up forward.

bren_gc said:
Also, on the topic, I think Dale Thomas should not be considered for #5. A lot of people think he may not be cut out for a constant mid role. And we already have enough players like him up forward.
Good on them.

They are wrong.

magpies42 said:
Muston had an MRI scan last week before being advised by surgeon Julian Feller that graft had not bonded as well as hoped and would require another arthroscope to inspect the joint.

It doesn't sound 'all good' if the graft hasn't bonded as well as would be hoped.

How did that gem get into the public domain just before the draft???

Who would let a surgeon drop that clanger?

I'd be furious if I put my name into the draft and my doctor said "Oh we have a complication with one of the most important limbs the patient needs to start his career".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be wary of anyone who has had a reco and the bit of info about the graft not taking!!!!!!!! Had a reco myself at 20 and lost a yard in pace, sideways mobility and about 10 m depth in my kicking.

No dodgy knees with pick 2 or 5. In fact no more dodgy knees at all. We already have Rhyse and we may re-rookie Tommy D - plus the knees of Didak Tarrant and Fraser are suspect - thats enough bad knees on our list.

You besmirch the spirit of Lee Walker............... he coulda been a contender..............

Js No. 2 said:
You besmirch the spirit of Lee Walker............... he coulda been a contender..............

........and Graeme Teasdale and Butch Edwards before him.

Js No. 2 said:
******** LEE'S how's the knee's

asked the Queen.

Unbelievable that the shortened name for Richard gets censored......

okay Richard Lee's if the system is that prudish.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back