Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never done the secondary thing, mostly because I can't be arsed and its more s**t to clean up. But have often wondered how much of a difference it would make to flavour and clarity.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I've never done the secondary thing, mostly because I can't be arsed and its more s**t to clean up. But have often wondered how much of a difference it would make to flavour and clarity.

Its an American thing and fairly outdated now. If you are going to rack a berliner weisse onto fruit and pitch some lacto, sure. For most ales it is as you say - just another vessel to clean.

F*** that. A bit old school in that...keep your f***ing Fruit away from my goddamn beer!!

And mate, I don't even know what a Berliner weisse is, let alone what it should taste like, apart from fruit now. :)

F*** that. A bit old school in that...keep your f***ing Fruit away from my goddamn beer!!

And mate, I don't even know what a Berliner weisse is, let alone what it should taste like, apart from fruit now. :)

See if you can get your hands on Feral Brewing Watermelon Warhead. Crowned Aus best beer. Its a sour beer. Fermented then infected with lacto and lots of watermelon added.

As for fruit in beer, I have added grapefruit zest/peel/juice to an IPA twice and adding a bit of lemon zest to my saison today.

Have also done apple/watermelon and apple/pineapple ciders :)

Belle saison. Beast of a dry yeast apparently. Dont be too concerned about leaving your beer on the yeast cake 4-6 weeks from brew day. You wont damage it at all. In fact itll clean up really well. Much longer and you'll start to inherit some off flavours.

The thing with transferring to secondary is you risk exposing the beer to o2 unless you can purge the secondary vessel with co2 first. Where your primary has already created a big layer of co2 protection from fermentation.
Yeah I realise that but there was quite a lot of hop matter and crud in the primary cos I just passed it through a pretty basic strainer from the brew kettle, plus I wanted a smaller vessel to be able to put it in a second bucket of water for temp regulation while I'm away.

I'll be away for a few weeks so by the time I bottle it, it will be about 6 weeks from brew day to getting it off the yeast cake.

I won't do secondaries in future though. I guess without knowing what oxidation tastes like it seems a bit of a non-issue! I'll learn one day

See if you can get your hands on Feral Brewing Watermelon Warhead. Crowned Aus best beer. Its a sour beer. Fermented then infected with lacto and lots of watermelon added.

As for fruit in beer, I have added grapefruit zest/peel/juice to an IPA twice and adding a bit of lemon zest to my saison today.

Have also done apple/watermelon and apple/pineapple ciders :)
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not a big fan of watermelon as it is so I'll be honest, I won't be rushing to put that one on my must taste list.

Don't want to sound too stodgy, and while I do enjoy trying different beers and experimenting with different ingredients in my brew, I've not really enjoyed the fruit infused beers. but that's just me and my backward tastes I suspect.

I guess over the years I have come to realise I enjoy savoury/dry over sweet/fruity and that goes for everything. Food, wine, beer.

Don't mind a dry Cider now and again on a hot summer arvo, over ice...with some lime. But that's about as fruity as I can bring myself to get

Have to keg a Wheat Beer that's been fermenting out for the last few weeks and get my two brews in this arvo. Ended up going to the Raiders final yesterday (stupid f***** lost too, but at least have a second chance) so didn't get to finish off my brews yesterday.

Im currently building a wicker lounge fortress outside trying to shield my urn from the brutal Easterly breeze. The weather man lied to me. s**t weather outside and it has killed my boil and thus efficiency. 98° boil for the lose.

I usually brew indoors in a big store room underneath my first floor. Live and learn!

Im currently building a wicker lounge fortress outside trying to shield my urn from the brutal Easterly breeze. The weather man lied to me. s**t weather outside and it has killed my boil and thus efficiency. 98° boil for the lose.

I usually brew indoors in a big store room underneath my first floor. Live and learn!
Lurn

Took me almost 24 hours to get that. Reckon I only got it as I made my own concurns joke to a mate.
You should name your urn Shannon. Doesn't quite perform well enough when needed.

I dryhop once fermentation is over and I have completed diacetyl rest. Am still tweaking my dry hop procedure after reading some brulosophy articles but basically I am trying to keep my dryhop to around 3 days. It will be 4 days for these beers as my weekend was ridiculously busy so I had no time.

My red ale got some hop haze due to a new dry hop schedule, I didnt have enough time to cold crash and drop all the particles out. This time I reduced the temp from the 23 deg diacetyl rest to 16, dry hopped, immediately ramped to 7, then 48 hours (now 72) at 0.

Hopefully that nets me more clarity. If not Ill look at adding some finings. Gelatin works wonders but it strips some hop aroma. There is another clarifying agent that works better to reduce hop matter and leave the aroma so we'll see how we go!

I use whirlfloc. Can't recommend it enough. I also cold crash at 0-2C for at least 5 days often up to 10 days.
I find that they get even clearer after 2 weeks in the keg.

I've also completely blocked my perlicks with hop debris though. Best solution to this is to cut half and inch off the dip tubes and wait 12 hours after kegging before trying that glorious first pint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

e75e9f58901c3af8cd76a464832747dd.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Ooooohh mango astronaut Voodoo doughnut.

I remember trying the bacon and maple syrup one years back at the wheaty. We pretty good for what it was. A nice peated salty bacon flavour going into a sweet desert like. Might have to try the mango one now.

I use whirlfloc. Can't recommend it enough. I also cold crash at 0-2C for at least 5 days often up to 10 days.
I find that they get even clearer after 2 weeks in the keg.

I've also completely blocked my perlicks with hop debris though. Best solution to this is to cut half and inch off the dip tubes and wait 12 hours after kegging before trying that glorious first pint.

Yeah I am using whirlfloc in the boil also. Whatever this other stuff is you add it once fermentation is done. Like gelatin it drops everything out but wont strip the hop aroma. Ill take hop aroma and haze all day over a clear beer haha.

Oooo not too far from my mates house. :D

Visit next time youre in Melb mate. Its a great little spot!

Yeah I am using whirlfloc in the boil also. Whatever this other stuff is you add it once fermentation is done. Like gelatin it drops everything out but wont strip the hop aroma. Ill take hop aroma and haze all day over a clear beer haha.

Visit next time youre in Melb mate. Its a great little spot!
I'm using whirlfloc too cos it was thrown in for free. Any particular way you need to use it, or can you just chuck it in 15 before the boil finishes?

Do you need to do anything else in conjunction with it (ie siphon from your kettle as opposed to pouring the whole thing through a strainer)? Or is it "activated" when you cold crash ?

I'm using whirlfloc too cos it was thrown in for free. Any particular way you need to use it, or can you just chuck it in 15 before the boil finishes?

Do you need to do anything else in conjunction with it (ie siphon from your kettle as opposed to pouring the whole thing through a strainer)? Or is it "activated" when you cold crash ?

Half a tablet in 10-15 min left in the boil is fine. It actually drops out at the wort phase, so you should flame out, whirlpool, then grab all the clear wort off the top and leave the floaties and proteins at the bottom (if you choose).

Some people rack the whole lot into fermenter like you did with your stout. In which case use of a whirlfloc is null and void.

Half a tablet in 10-15 min left in the boil is fine. It actually drops out at the wort phase, so you should flame out, whirlpool, then grab all the clear wort off the top and leave the floaties and proteins at the bottom (if you choose).

Some people rack the whole lot into fermenter like you did with your stout. In which case use of a whirlfloc is null and void.
Ahhhh

Yeah I suspected that's what you were meant to do but never read up on it.

I tried a whirlpool but everything just stayed suspended and didn't fall. I really haven't looked this stuff up though, just winging it

#returnthewings

First time I used a whirfloc was for that gluten free beer I did for the Mrs. Didn't Whirlpool. Didn't grab the clear stuff off the top. Forgot to add the finings. Did put it through a strainer though. Gave it around 3 weeks fermenting at 20-21. Bottled it (didn't want to hold a keg to its mercy if it was s**t). Let bottles condition for around three weeks at 18 in the fermenting fridge and another three weeks cooling in the fridge and have to say it came up pretty clear. GF beers are notoriously hazy due to the sorghum apparently so I was surprised at the result.

Will have to come back to these posts next time I'm doing one to try and do it 'properly'. Results would only be better I imagine.

Last edited:
Ahhhh

Yeah I suspected that's what you were meant to do but never read up on it.

I tried a whirlpool but everything just stayed suspended and didn't fall. I really haven't looked this stuff up though, just winging it

#returnthewings

Having considered this at length while falling asleep last night, Im not sure whirlfloc is required for extract. Of course it depends how much additional grain you are steeping too. For dark beers I dont bother. I didnt even crash chill my black IPA - *ing reckless!!!

Whirlpool needs to be pretty vigorous and then left for 15 min or so. But then we get into late hop schedules because if you are not chilling your wort, you are extracting IBU from late hop additions. Until your wort is 80° or below you will get IBUs.

Theres a lot of guys doing cube no chills now. They basically add their hops into the cube itself and stack the hop schedule back 10-15 min so you get your target bitterness.

Down the rabbit hole we go!

Yep no need for whirlfloc with extract as the hot side has been done for you and Coopers do all protein rests, filters etc to their extract kits.

One othrr thing to remember when it comes to clear beer is the yeast you used.

Some yeasts don't flocculate out untill very late or at all. A good whirlpool is the best thing for clarity as you leave behind all the protein and enzymes in the kettle.
Like Dan said. Stir the crap out of it then leave it for 15mins. Leaving the lid on during whirlpool is meant to help with convection currents too.

I'm a dirty filthy no chiller myself :D

Yep no need for whirlfloc with extract as the hot side has been done for you and Coopers do all protein rests, filters etc to their extract kits.

One othrr thing to remember when it comes to clear beer is the yeast you used.

Some yeasts don't flocculate out untill very late or at all. A good whirlpool is the best thing for clarity as you leave behind all the protein and enzymes in the kettle.
Like Dan said. Stir the crap out of it then leave it for 15mins. Leaving the lid on during whirlpool is meant to help with convection currents too.

I'm a dirty filthy no chiller myself :D

Maybe you can elaborate on the cube process - are you moving your hop additions? Ive only done it once myself and it wasnt a hoppy beer anyway so I didnt have to think it through too much.

The Perth Home Brew Share group on FB has a few members who are real no chill aficionados!

Back