Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Went out to dinner with the family on Saturday night to Panchos and had a few pints of the Dos Equis amber with dinner, starting to reconsider my plans for the Belgian Wit for December in exchange for a Munich Lager now.

Or can I justify a second fermenting fridge to the Mrs? 😂

Went out to dinner with the family on Saturday night to Panchos and had a few pints of the Dos Equis amber with dinner, starting to reconsider my plans for the Belgian Wit for December in exchange for a Munich Lager now.

It’s roadside collection time here - plenty of random old fridges laying around

Maybe once you’ve nailed the dos equis you can make a Broken Shackles lager clone for Keys too

**** Fat Yak. That takes me back. Havent seen one of them for years.
They were one of the first few craft beers. sh*t they weren't even called craft back then.

They must have been mid 2000s
But little creatures was so far ahead of the times opening that brewery in Freo.
I reckon I was 19 years old when they opened up and I thought they squeezed an orange in each pint 😂😂.
I'd only ever drank emu bitter and export at that stage, or maybe a couple crown lagers of I felt like splurging 😬.
Even little creatures seems different these days, big business must cut right back on hops these days to save on $$.

They must have been mid 2000s
But little creatures was so far ahead of the times opening that brewery in Freo.
I reckon I was 19 years old when they opened up and I thought they squeezed an orange in each pint 😂😂.
I'd only ever drank emu bitter and export at that stage, or maybe a couple crown lagers of I felt like splurging 😬.
Even little creatures seems different these days, big business must cut right back on hops these days to save on $$.
Yeah Little Creatures and Fat Yak. Redback wheat beer not much around back then.

I remember the first time I went to Little Creatures. I was in heaven. It was the future. Back when you could only get craft beers over the bar in one or two pubs.

Now I am a fat alcoholic 😂

Pale ale with kveik voss, about 12 days mash to bottle conditioned. I have to say it's probably my best pale ale to date! I can't wait to hook the keg up.
I've got feeling my previous pale ales had a diacitle problem.
I was just brewing them at 16degrees then cold crashing them, then into the keg.
View attachment 1005922
How is the hop flavours and aromas? Have hear Kviek knocks the hops around a bit, obviously if you dry hop after primary fermentation the impact is lessend but keen to know if the kettle additions are still stable?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is the hop flavours and aromas? Have hear Kviek knocks the hops around a bit, obviously if you dry hop after primary fermentation the impact is lessend but keen to know if the kettle additions are still stable?

It's pretty good. I put a fair amount in after fermentation, I usually dry hop just before fermentation finishes but was told not to with the 35° ferment temp.
I dropped it to 18° and dry hopped it for a couple days then kegged/bottled it.

36 hours this morning since pitching 3 smack packs into my Pils at 11 degrees and still no action for gravity or airlock. Hope it's going by the time I get home later.
She’ll be right. Everything takes longer at those temps. Give it another blast of O2?

36 hours this morning since pitching 3 smack packs into my Pils at 11 degrees and still no action for gravity or airlock. Hope it's going by the time I get home later.
Jayzus man- 3 smack packs! You gotta get on the yeast starters, that is crazy money there- almost $50 in yeast.
Once you start doing starters and re-using and washing yeast you will cut that down to less than $5 a brew with more yeast cells.

Jayzus man- 3 smack packs! You gotta get on the yeast starters, that is crazy money there- almost $50 in yeast.
Once you start doing starters and re-using and washing yeast you will cut that down to less than $5 a brew with more yeast cells.

Indeed dude. I have vowed to move towards starters after this brew, way too much on a single batch - usually I don't mind but when it's stalled like this one it's a pain in the arse.

So 72 hours since pitching and no action. Decide to take drastic measures; hydrate 4 packs of dried lager yeast in 38 degree water - 4 x 15g packs in 150ml jugs each. Slowly mix with 4 litres of the wort over an hour to slowly reduce the temp to 17 degrees and then re-oxygenate the main wort and aggressively dump in the 4.5 litres and leave at 12 degrees. Just got home from work 6 hours later and we have a drop in 2 points and some airlock activity. I'm thinking that's pretty quick - now either the dry yeast was primed due to the slow wort acclimatising mix, or it wasn't far off already...

So 72 hours since pitching and no action. Decide to take drastic measures; hydrate 4 packs of dried lager yeast in 38 degree water - 4 x 15g packs in 150ml jugs each. Slowly mix with 4 litres of the wort over an hour to slowly reduce the temp to 17 degrees and then re-oxygenate the main wort and aggressively dump in the 4.5 litres and leave at 12 degrees. Just got home from work 6 hours later and we have a drop in 2 points and some airlock activity. I'm thinking that's pretty quick - now either the dry yeast was primed due to the slow wort acclimatising mix, or it wasn't far off already...
Man I wonder if the liquid yeast packs were just completely cooked. That’s seriously shitty

Man I wonder if the liquid yeast packs were just completely cooked. That’s seriously shitty

Well, lesson learned. Asked the Mrs for some HB stuff for Christmas like flasks etc, so won't do the Vienna lager until January, at that point I'll be making my first starter. Going to push the Kolsch forward a month instead.

The Pils is humming along now, dropped 20 points since putting that dried yeast in and seems to be keeping its momentum at 12 degrees.

Back