Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool, thanks. It's saying 2.75ml of lactic to achieve the 5.4pH. So basically like you guys said: 4 tsp of Gypsum and 3 mls of lactic acid!

Should I continue with the ascorbic acid too?

Thanks mate and FKASC you have been a great help.
No worries. Yeah the pinch of ascorbic you put in there would be lucky to be 0.5g. Definitely keep using that to knock out your chloramines. It would be lucky to drop your pH by 0.1 units but even if it did, 5.3 pH is great too.

Just got some updated stats from the Water Corp over here for my area:

Alkalinity as CaCO3 (mg/L) – 53
Calcium (mg/L) – 20
Chloride (mg/L) – 98
Hardness as CaCO3 (mg/L) – 64
Magnesium (mg/L) - 3.6
Sodium (mg/L) – 59
Sulphate (mg/L) – 11

Chloride and Sodium down a heap compared to the Mt Eliza area. Will have to do some recalculations.

I haven’t used that tool. The EZ Water Calc spreadsheet is even simpler but that looks pretty good

That's the basic water calc on Brewers Friend, there's an advanced one that'd be more up your alley with includes all ingredients to give you the mash pH which I did last night.

This may sound a bit stupid, but do you add your salts and acid before, during or after warming the water in the HLT?
It doesnt matter, as long as it is in the water before it hits the grain. Gypsum takes a bit to dissolve so give it a good stir. I tend to put the additions in as soon as I fill the HLT so I know it is done, but really makes no difference. Theoretically you could put it in with the mash.

Bit of a stuff around with the Water Corp, sent me the report for the incorrect area. Finally got the right one, below stats for "light coloured and hoppy":

1619659729831.png

Doing this NEIPA on Saturday, hopeful for some minor improvements. Picked up the Blowtie spunding valve for the transfer and some salts from the brew shop yesterday, as always really looking forward to playing around with the next batch

Also found out that I can get a pressure kit for my SS Brew Bucket which is something to aim for down the track:

1619660104731.png

Attachments

• 1619659729831.png
    1619659729831.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 11

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a stuff around with the Water Corp, sent me the report for the incorrect area. Finally got the right one, below stats for "light coloured and hoppy":

View attachment 1114064

Doing this NEIPA on Saturday, hopeful for some minor improvements. Picked up the Blowtie spunding valve for the transfer and some salts from the brew shop yesterday, as always really looking forward to playing around with the next batch

Also found out that I can get a pressure kit for my SS Brew Bucket which is something to aim for down the track:

View attachment 1114067
Good job. Get yourself some of those tiny scales that drug dealers use and also a 5ml syringe - it’ll help with dosing the acid

Good job. Get yourself some of those tiny scales that drug dealers use and also a 5ml syringe - it’ll help with dosing the acid

Oh I already have both of those for... reasons...

Belgian Beer cafe in Brisbane used to make punters deposit $50 for a Kwak glass. Obviously lost a few to the likes of you mate 😄

Yeah the Belgian Beer Cafe in Perth used to make you put one of your shoes in a basket as a deposit, then hoist it to the roof in an old school pullie and you'd have to trade your glass back for your shoe afterwards! Me and my mates had a few schemes to buy some OP shop shoes and head in but we never followed through with it. This one came with a 4 pack of Kwak, that was a serious drop 15 years ago.

FKASC when you "push" your sanitizer out of your keg with the CO2 prior to filling with beer, are you just using a picnic tap?
Yep either that or just beer line with no tap at the end - just make sure it is running into a big bucket or another keg before you connect the liquid disconnect to the keg you’re purging

Yep either that or just beer line with no tap at the end - just make sure it is running into a big bucket or another keg before you connect the liquid disconnect to the keg you’re purging

On Friday night went to pull a pint from the IPA tap - nothing came out. Proceeded to receive a lecture from the Mrs about finishing a 19l keg within 3 weeks. So on Sunday I pull it out to clean it, give it a rinse with some warm water - there was still about 3 litres left in the bottom that had frozen - turned the temp up on the kegerator a little bit (was at -2).

Anyway the point of the story was that I flushed that line for the first time yesterday - appears that filling it with the sanitiser an pushing it out should be straight forward enough for the next attempt at a semi-closed transfer that I do.

On Friday night went to pull a pint from the IPA tap - nothing came out. Proceeded to receive a lecture from the Mrs about finishing a 19l keg within 3 weeks. So on Sunday I pull it out to clean it, give it a rinse with some warm water - there was still about 3 litres left in the bottom that had frozen - turned the temp up on the kegerator a little bit (was at -2).

Anyway the point of the story was that I flushed that line for the first time yesterday - appears that filling it with the sanitiser an pushing it out should be straight forward enough for the next attempt at a semi-closed transfer that I do.
I had an incident with a leaky fermenter tap the other night too. Lost about 4 litres into the concrete floor of the garage :drunk:

Some delicious scents coming out of my NEIPA, dumped 4 litres of pine-orange juice into the boil with 10 left and then earlier today chucked a hop sock full of 120g of mixed hops and 375g of shredded coconut for the next few days. After a nice mellow tropical taste when this one finishes up.

Back