Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So out of nowhere, Townsville has managed to find itself in a 3 day lockdown. So Im joining my Perth brethren in a brewing extravaganza under the guise of "working from home".
A Kolsch first off the rank tomorrow, then a Hefe on Thursday and might pitch a Kviek #10 strain Ive been hording at a cube of pale ale.

At home with my kids fir the next few days, please send pics for my sanity.

Train them in thou art of das bier braumiester.

Got the daughter to help me with some dry hopping on Sunday, she's been banned since for saying the hops smelled gross.

Got all the ingredients for the next batch which is an IPL, considering doing a fresh wort kit after that just to take a break from the long brew days.

Yeah thats a lie. The darkest malt there is Vienna and it I have done 100% Vienna mashes that are lighter than golden.

Gone the ol' late carafa 3? Doesn't make sense otherwise. Plus the greatest part of brewing reds is winding in that chewy, biscuity malt body without shooting into brown ale territory. And when I say greatest, I mean most frustrating.

The three big dumb beers I've had this weekend have all had A1 head retention. It's the small things I appreciate as a home brewer, but not enough beers nail this. Underrated characteristic.

Yeah I definitely rate that as one of the more important factors of a good beer. Whether it holds anything more than a pure physical appearance or not I'm unsure, but mentally I enjoy a beer more that I can sip through a creamy head.

The three big dumb beers I've had this weekend have all had A1 head retention. It's the small things I appreciate as a home brewer, but not enough beers nail this. Underrated characteristic.
Way too many neipas with zero head, a lot of them made by some of the hype breweries. It’s such a let down
Pilsener base malt imperial red?!

View attachment 1170658

View attachment 1170659

This is the Fixation 30666 RIIPA.
lol fail. Lots of reds and darker beers use Pilsner as a base malt, but there’d be way more specialty malt on top

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I definitely rate that as one of the more important factors of a good beer. Whether it holds anything more than a pure physical appearance or not I'm unsure, but mentally I enjoy a beer more that I can sip through a creamy head.
It definitely adds to the aroma and flavour perception. Foam = exploding aroma bubbles

Way too many neipas with zero head, a lot of them made by some of the hype breweries. It’s such a let down

lol fail. Lots of reds and darker beers use Pilsner as a base malt, but there’d be way more specialty malt on top

No reason it can't be done, I've just never done it or considered it

My 130 year old neighbour keeps giving me fruits from his trees at a rate of more than me and my family can eat, and being a massive stinge I've decided that I'm just going to juice and freeze it and dump it in my next beer. So I've got a *load of mandarin juice that I want to chuck in a pale ale, what hops do you think would pair well with the mandarins? Ideally they'd go great in a sour but I cannot be ****ed making one of those... yet.

My 130 year old neighbour keeps giving me fruits from his trees at a rate of more than me and my family can eat, and being a massive stinge I've decided that I'm just going to juice and freeze it and dump it in my next beer. So I've got a fu**load of mandarin juice that I want to chuck in a pale ale, what hops do you think would pair well with the mandarins? Ideally they'd go great in a sour but I cannot be f’ed making one of those... yet.
Try it with a saison yeast?

Tbh I’ve never really used straight juice in a beer though. Maybe once with oranges

A nice experiment would be to peel a bunch of them and maybe remove the seeds (I think they contain pectin which will create haze), and dump a bunch of the pulp in at around 80° for ten minutes, like a whirlpool. and then add the pulp to the fermenter once you’ve transfer the wort. Add some of the peels too but maybe not all of it as it could get bitter. Ferment the whole shebang with a saison yeast for a few weeks and see what it’s like. Should be enough to pasteurise the mandarins and keep the brew ‘clean’

The alternative would be to brew a saison and then dump the pulp/rind into a keg along with the fermented beer and age at cellar temp for a few weeks. More risk of it becoming a sour/funky beer because you haven’t pasteurised the fruit, but it’d probably taste a fair bit fruitier.

You should try the latter IMO. Not really that much can go wrong other than not loving the taste of it - you can always sanitise a metal keg if it does get funky

Try it with a saison yeast?

Tbh I’ve never really used straight juice in a beer though. Maybe once with oranges

A nice experiment would be to peel a bunch of them and maybe remove the seeds (I think they contain pectin which will create haze), and dump a bunch of the pulp in at around 80° for ten minutes, like a whirlpool. and then add the pulp to the fermenter once you’ve transfer the wort. Add some of the peels too but maybe not all of it as it could get bitter. Ferment the whole shebang with a saison yeast for a few weeks and see what it’s like. Should be enough to pasteurise the mandarins and keep the brew ‘clean’

The alternative would be to brew a saison and then dump the pulp/rind into a keg along with the fermented beer and age at cellar temp for a few weeks. More risk of it becoming a sour/funky beer because you haven’t pasteurised the fruit, but it’d probably taste a fair bit fruitier.

You should try the latter IMO. Not really that much can go wrong other than not loving the taste of it - you can always sanitise a metal keg if it does get funky

Not a bad idea on the saison actually.

I've done a bunch with juices and pureed fruit now. I've found the citric juices and rinds work best late in the boil, whereas the purees work better in the fermenter.

I've already juiced (with pulp) these mandarins, might dump them in the fermenter rather than the kegs and bottle them in champagne bottles.

Perhaps farmhouse saison yeast. 🤔
The new lallemand dry strain? Sounds interesting, I haven’t tried it. It’s not diastatic which means it doesn’t keep fermenting complex sugars down to 1.000 gravity like Belle Saison will. Might help retain some of the fruit sweetness

The new lallemand dry strain? Sounds interesting, I haven’t tried it. It’s not diastatic which means it doesn’t keep fermenting complex sugars down to 1.000 gravity like Belle Saison will. Might help retain some of the fruit sweetness

Dang I thought Whitelabs did a farmhouse saison, must've misread it.

Have you ever mixed yeasts before?

Dang I thought Whitelabs did a farmhouse saison, must've misread it.

Have you ever mixed yeasts before?
Oh yeah it’s Wyeast Farmhouse Ale (3726). It’s what I’m using in my latest saison. I was just reading about the new lallemand dry version and it’s what came to mind.

I’ve mixed yeasts heaps - especially for funky beers. I say do it

Oh yeah it’s Wyeast Farmhouse Ale (3726). It’s what I’m using in my latest saison. I was just reading about the new lallemand dry version and it’s what came to mind.

I’ve mixed yeasts heaps - especially for funky beers. I say do it

Oh I will be.

I will be.

Back