Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All their beers are hit and miss IMO. I blame Fyfe.

Back when his money was involved they were making some good beers, particularly the IIPA. Since PL sold out I'm pretty sure Fyfe got his money back, with a healthy ROI, and bailed.

But even in that time they were still botching dark beers. Hops seems to be their thing, though I'd argue they've easily been surpassed in that realm now too.

Back when his money was involved they were making some good beers, particularly the IIPA. Since PL sold out I'm pretty sure Fyfe got his money back, with a healthy ROI, and bailed.

But even in that time they were still botching dark beers. Hops seems to be their thing, though I'd argue they've easily been surpassed in that realm now too.

He invested 100k and walked away with a mil. Makes me dislike him even more.

So trying my hand at an IP(rice)L this weekend gentlemen.

Malts:

4kg pils
2kg flaked rice
500g carapils

Hops:

5g Magnum @ 60m
100g Amarillo - 25g @ 30m, 25g @ wp, 50g @ dry hop
100g Citra as above
50g Sabro @ dry hop

Yeast:

Whitelabs American Lager - 2l starter into a 3l starter

Likely to lose most of the hop flavour during the lagering stages but can't wait to see how it turns out!

So trying my hand at an IP(rice)L this weekend gentlemen.

Malts:

4kg pils
2kg flaked rice
500g carapils

Hops:

5g Magnum @ 60m
100g Amarillo - 25g @ 30m, 25g @ wp, 50g @ dry hop
100g Citra as above
50g Sabro @ dry hop

Yeast:

Whitelabs American Lager - 2l starter into a 3l starter

Likely to lose most of the hop flavour during the lagering stages but can't wait to see how it turns out!
Interesting - that's a few things i have never tried (using rice, using American Lager yeast and heavily hopping a lager)

Interesting - that's a few things i have never tried (using rice, using American Lager yeast and heavily hopping a lager)

Definitely. Pretty sure the only lager yeasts I've used so far are German, looking forward to a different flavour from this one. Added 3 cups of rice hulls to the grist as I'm bit paranoid at possible blocked sparge from the rice.

Definitely. Pretty sure the only lager yeasts I've used so far are German, looking forward to a different flavour from this one. Added 3 cups of rice hulls to the grist as I'm bit paranoid at possible blocked sparge from the rice.
Very interested to hear how you go! I’ve got surplus cornmeal and was considering trying to mash that

Also I think if you’re careful with dry hopping and you purge your keg well (ideally by pushing out its complete volume of starsan with CO2) then you hopefully shouldn’t lose all your flavour while lagering.

IPL came in at 1.070 but only just got 18l. Gonna add 1.5l of water to bring it down a bit coz that's just stupid. 😵

Edit: bad reading. 1.061. Still adding the water anyway.
I hate that feeling of not completely knowing whether the gravity reading was accurate or not. Gets me every time

I hate that feeling of not completely knowing whether the gravity reading was accurate or not. Gets me every time

Got a little excited - battery had gone flat in the Tilt, replaced it and dropped it in the fermenter and needed a bit of time to settle.

Don't think I'll do whirlpool additions again. Will go back to flameout in the spider, then after cooling remove the spider and do the whirlpool. Too much hop matter for my liking.

Got a little excited - battery had gone flat in the Tilt, replaced it and dropped it in the fermenter and needed a bit of time to settle.

Don't think I'll do whirlpool additions again. Will go back to flameout in the spider, then after cooling remove the spider and do the whirlpool. Too much hop matter for my liking.
I got a filter recently for that reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t had an alcoholic beer for a few weeks now. Had a few NA versions, with varying results. The Europeans do it best, particularly Weihenstephan. The weather here has been so cold and grey though I actually haven’t craved beer that much at all. Wouldn’t mind a glass of red.

tried making kombucha but not happy with the result - going to just build up a starter using unpasteurised shop bought kombucha and go from there I think

Got an English IPA type thing as a pilot batch at the moment, testing out these ‘Go Nutty’ oats that Gladfield make.

Smells pretty good out of the fermenter so I think I might scale it up and make 20L of it after it’s done.

single hop - all Loral

Do you like it or is this a health move?
I love the shop bought stuff but it was largely because I’m doing dry July. I thought it could be pumped out pretty quickly but I didn’t really do enough research before I jumped in. Only cost me like 20 tea bags worth so :shrug:

So if I'm spunding, then after reaching FG I take the lid off and add gelatin then reseal and then a few days later transfer under pressure, am I going to lose all the carbonation from the spunding pre-gelatin addition? Ie: is it pointless?

In my experience so far I prefer adding the gelatin in the fermenter as I've found adding it in the keg leads to a heap of s**t settling in the bottom of the keg and getting stirred up towards the end of the keg.

So if I'm spunding, then after reaching FG I take the lid off and add gelatin then reseal and then a few days later transfer under pressure, am I going to lose all the carbonation from the spunding pre-gelatin addition? Ie: is it pointless?

In my experience so far I prefer adding the gelatin in the fermenter as I've found adding it in the keg leads to a heap of sh*t settling in the bottom of the keg and getting stirred up towards the end of the keg.
Yeah it’s a good question and I’ve grappled with it a bit myself. I think if you gelatine in the keg once it’s had time to carb, it won’t be a big deal if you release the pressure in the headspace to open the lid.

A better option which I’ve done a couple of times is to put the gelatine in a PET bottle and use that to closed transfer into the keg. You’ll still have to release the pressure in the keg to effect the transfer, but releasing the pressure for a short time is not enough to decarb the beer. unless you’ve got a massive amount of headspace in the keg. If it’s a full keg then you’ll lose a tiny bit of dissolved co2 from the beer.

Haven’t watched this fully because it’s long af but I think this is basically what I’m talking about

you could fine in the fermenter and still spund in the keg. It just might take longer to finish up as a lot more yeast will be left in the fermenter?

Yeah it’s a good question and I’ve grappled with it a bit myself. I think if you gelatine in the keg once it’s had time to carb, it won’t be a big deal if you release the pressure in the headspace to open the lid.

A better option which I’ve done a couple of times is to put the gelatine in a PET bottle and use that to closed transfer into the keg. You’ll still have to release the pressure in the keg to effect the transfer, but releasing the pressure for a short time is not enough to decarb the beer. unless you’ve got a massive amount of headspace in the keg. If it’s a full keg then you’ll lose a tiny bit of dissolved co2 from the beer.

Haven’t watched this fully because it’s long af but I think this is basically what I’m talking about

you could fine in the fermenter and still spund in the keg. It just might take longer to finish up as a lot more yeast will be left in the fermenter?

Thanks mate, will check it out.

Just got a small pump and plate chiller off Gumtree for a bargain, pretty much have everything I've wanted (ideally) in terms of gear now.

Doing an Altbier in a few weeks, considering going all out with a decoction mash, spund and transfer under pressure and not bothering with the gelatin.
Yeah I don’t bother fining that often anymore. It usually clears up in the keg for me. Good luck with the decoction! Been curious about trying one eventually

Hey boys..
I've finally put down a brew yesterday 🍺🍺.
I've had a problem with Diacytle(spelling?) In the past.
It's a pretty standard pale ale, I'm fermenting at 18° dry hopping at day 3, leaving the hops in a bag in the fermenter for 3 days then removing.
Then cold crash after 2 weeks at 2° for 3 days then raising the temp to 22° for a few days before kegging.
Is this the way you guys would ferment a pale ale?
I never used to bring the temp up after cold crashing and assume that's why I'm getting Diacytle problems and I usually rush the entire process TBH.
I'd love a bit of feedback. Cheers🍺

Hey boys..
I've finally put down a brew yesterday 🍺🍺.
I've had a problem with Diacytle(spelling?) In the past.
It's a pretty standard pale ale, I'm fermenting at 18° dry hopping at day 3, leaving the hops in a bag in the fermenter for 3 days then removing.
Then cold crash after 2 weeks at 2° for 3 days then raising the temp to 22° for a few days before kegging.
Is this the way you guys would ferment a pale ale?
I never used to bring the temp up after cold crashing and assume that's why I'm getting Diacytle problems and I usually rush the entire process TBH.
I'd love a bit of feedback. Cheers🍺

Bringing the temp up before (not after) cold crash is the go. And don't rush the process. You should try to aim for a constant gravity reading for a few days in a row before assuming the fermentation process is over. While there may not be any additional conversion of sugars happening when the gravity remains constant, the yeast are still cleaning up their mess, thus resolving your diacetyl issues.

Back