Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunkel lager in the fermenter this morning. Had to no chill it and keep it in the cube for a few days because the liquid yeast I bought was about 2 weeks after the best before and it took a long time to get the starter active enough. It was in a closed bag with other ingredients and didn’t notice it til after I got home from the HBS. $14 a pop too!

Too late to the thread, was genuinely going to guess 140g. I think you should calibrate your scales, seem to be out by a couple of grams 😂.

Has been a slow couple of months for me on the brewing front but young fella has the Rona so we have 7days in iso- brew time!
Friday put down a SMASH, SM40 and Nelson with Kolsch yeast, will be a nice Red ale. Today doing a partigyle with the big beer to be a Baltic porter and the small beer to be a Schwartz.

Too late to the thread, was genuinely going to guess 140g. I think you should calibrate your scales, seem to be out by a couple of grams 😂.

Has been a slow couple of months for me on the brewing front but young fella has the Rona so we have 7days in iso- brew time!
Friday put down a SMASH, SM40 and Nelson with Kolsch yeast, will be a nice Red ale. Today doing a partigyle with the big beer to be a Baltic porter and the small beer to be a Schwartz.

I didn't take the weight of the bag out so you are probably right...🌈

Schwarzbier into the keg on Friday and Saturday having a go at a sour using the Philly yeast, with some stone fruit puree and guava nectar to be chucked in fermenter a few days after.

Then 3-4 weeks after I'll be doing an IPA with the plans to have it all ready to serve at the one time, hopefully around mid-June as I'm going to take a few months off drinking before ruining it all in a weekend.

Took a sample of my sour on Tuesday, dropped 15 points since pitching on Saturday and appeared to be slowing a bit. Tastes very promising. Was at 25 degrees so cranked it up to 29 and it's revved right back up again, looking to dump the fruit in on Friday arvo depending on the gravity.

At 1.012 this morning and tasted great (for 29 degree beer) - extra schtanky. Dumped 1L of guava nectar and 800ml of plum/nectarine/peach puree in it and will see how it goes. Really liking ease of this yeast otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the other options in making a sour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s this about headspace and carb levels? I feel like I need a refresher on keg carbing now that I’ve got my kegerator

Could've been one of a few things, I don't recall exactly.

But when it comes to kegging and carbing, don't over fill your keg. I ended up installing a one way valve on my gas line as I had beer trying to escape out there when it was too full.

Cold crash the beer and have the fridge set to 0 for fastest carbonation. I found that having some head space in the keg seemed to aid the carbonation process, but I did try a few methods over the journey, including hooking it up at 30psi or so then disconnecting and rolling it around or inverting the keg and shaking it for a minute.

Various levels of success with all that, and generally I wouldn't recommend force carbing with anything Hoppy because you eventually need to burp the keg which robs the beer of aroma in my opinion.

I've messed around a bit with various methods of force carbing, I found the best flavour and carb levels come from just leaving it the fu** alone for a week.

Yep pretty much this. Or if you do smash it with extra pressure, disconnect it and leave it in the fridge overnight to absorb so you don't need to burp it.

Yeah all very good points. I try to avoid force/burst carbing at all costs, because I know I’ll * it up and over carb. I try to keg/spund when there’s still some fermentation happening so that it’s already mostly carbed before I hook up the CO2 which can help.

Yeah all very good points. I try to avoid force/burst carbing at all costs, because I know I’ll fu** it up and over carb. I try to keg/spund when there’s still some fermentation happening so that it’s already mostly carbed before I hook up the CO2 which can help.

Does that leave you with chunky bits on the final keg pours?

Back