Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of hype surrounds their IIPA but theres plenty others on the market as good/better.
Yeah had the pale as well mate, absolute top notch. I did see the IIPA there but didn't end up trying it.
Wasn't a massive fan of their IIPA, but everything else i've had from them has been quality.

There again if I'd to choose a big beer, it'll be something like a Russian Imperial Stout or a Belgian Quadrupel as opposed to a IIPA.

did my first hydrometer sample & dry hop additions for my APA last night. Still sitting at 1.019 and quite carbonated, even though there's been absolutely no airlock activity for 4 days.

Just going to leave it to dry hop for another week before I re-test.

US-05 seems to take its time from what i've read online. Plus it's all extract, so there's probably a lot of complex sugars in there to eat through.

Tasted ******* good though

Craft beer world needs a Tom Lambic sour ale

What was your OG mate?

Rule #1 of homebrew is dont gauge fermentation activity off airlock bubbling. Things can still be happening. What sort of temperature do you have it sitting at and is it regulated somehow?

Refermented with cherries hey.. Spontaneous fermentation of natural yeast or pitched with some lacto? Not familiar with that beer but I am partial to a cherry sour!

All natural yeast they source from their property in Austin. These guys are absolute geniuses when it comes to wild ales. I have had their Ol Oi (ridiculously good sour brown) and their Hibernal Dicotomous which is a wild ale with rockmelon added. The Dichotomous was ridiculously good. Still one or two floating around Perth.

Looks great Narkee !

For what it's worth I'm 'GoldfishOz' on untappd. Hit me up. Love getting some ideas of new beers to try etc.

Added :thumbsu:

What was your OG mate?

Rule #1 of homebrew is dont gauge fermentation activity off airlock bubbling. Things can still be happening. What sort of temperature do you have it sitting at and is it regulated somehow?
OG of 1.061

I definitely know not to gauge fermentation simply off the airlock, but it's been a full 4 days without a single bubble so I am surprised that the wort is so fizzy. Why isn't the CO2 escaping? There is also a fair bit of krausen on the top of the wort still, but i've read that this is common with that yeast.

Fementation temp has been pretty consistently around 19-20.5. Just sitting in the bathroom at present, I don't have any regulation equipment just yet.

I'm only expecting it to drop maybe 3 or 4 more points, given there's so much extract (incl. wheat malt extract) in it, but i'll be ****ed if i'm putting fizzy wort into bottles!

That's fair enough. Anyway, for my Untappd 1,000th check in I dropped this bad boy:

And yes, it is outstanding!
What's untappd? app?

OG of 1.061

I definitely know not to gauge fermentation simply off the airlock, but it's been a full 4 days without a single bubble so I am surprised that the wort is so fizzy. Why isn't the CO2 escaping? There is also a fair bit of krausen on the top of the wort still, but i've read that this is common with that yeast.

Fementation temp has been pretty consistently around 19-20.5. Just sitting in the bathroom at present, I don't have any regulation equipment just yet.

I'm only expecting it to drop maybe 3 or 4 more points, given there's so much extract (incl. wheat malt extract) in it, but i'll be stuffed if i'm putting fizzy wort into bottles!

Somewhere between 1016-1014 sounds right. 73-76% attenuation.

How did you take your gravity reading? Once you remove your airlock and pull a sample from the tap a reasonable amount of co2 will be lost pressure wise.

Can you describe the fizziness? Is it a taste or a sight thing? Not to be confused with a lot of hazy yeast activity in the beer?

After the yeast has converted the majority of sugars things can slow down a bit, thus the lack of bubbles. My black IPA dropped 4 points over 2 weeks without even looking close to bubbling. That was after going gangbusters early on.

Id be trying to get a bit more temp into that now if you can. If possible to hold it between 22-23° for a few days it will encourage yeast activity but also clean up any off-flavours from fermentation. Google diacetyl rest for some light reading.

Somewhere between 1016-1014 sounds right. 73-76% attenuation.

How did you take your gravity reading? Once you remove your airlock and pull a sample from the tap a reasonable amount of co2 will be lost pressure wise.

Can you describe the fizziness? Is it a taste or a sight thing? Not to be confused with a lot of hazy yeast activity in the beer?

After the yeast has converted the majority of sugars things can slow down a bit, thus the lack of bubbles. My black IPA dropped 4 points over 2 weeks without even looking close to bubbling. That was after going gangbusters early on.

Id be trying to get a bit more temp into that now if you can. If possible to hold it between 22-23° for a few days it will encourage yeast activity but also clean up any off-flavours from fermentation. Google diacetyl rest for some light reading.
I took the sample by just dipping in a (sanitised) measuring jug into the top of the wort. To be honest this might be my problem, as there was still a fair bit of yeast muck on the top, so it might not be an accurate sample.

Re: the fizziness - when I dropped the hydrometer in the sample there was obvious carbonation in there. When I put my hand over the hydrometer test tube and just agitated it a bit, it frothed up like it would if you'd just poured it out of a stubbie!

I'll chuck it on the heat pad tonight and raise it to ~22. Was wary of letting it get too high because of esters etc, but if 22/23 is OK then i'll do it

Any good little phone apps to throw pics online, get a URL and post here? My main source of doing so is via instagram but cbf hosting pics in there just to share here..

Got a pic of my black IPA to throw up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just use the "upload file" function. Even better it'll send us a notification

Got my apa/IPA down to 1.016 which will do. Bottling tomorrow. Spent way too long tonight cleaning those *ers. Can see why people move to kegs

Primed and bottled!

What do people think about how hop character changes while the beer ages in bottles?

Do you lose bitterness? or aroma/flavour?

Just cracked one that i had leftover from Xmas and seemed less bitter than before.

Ahh probably perceived bitterness I reckon. Beers "mellow" over time, suits dark beers like stouts really well.

Definitely will lose hop aromatics over time (got a few months itll be fairly fresh tho)

a0cb507.jpg

Any Melb pubs likely to have WCE v Port game on next Sat? Must serve top shelf beer. If its looking dubious Ill do a haul at one of the locals and watch at the hotel..

The Gertrude is a great pub to drink craft and watch the footy.
The former 'brown couch' or whatever it was called? Near the corner of Nicholson?

I've been there a couple of times but didn't realise they had footy on. Great beers.

Any Melb pubs likely to have WCE v Port game on next Sat? Must serve top shelf beer. If its looking dubious Ill do a haul at one of the locals and watch at the hotel..
Problem with a lot of pubs that play the footy is that for Eagles games, especially when there's no Melbourne team playing, they'll often have the volume turned off and just have music playing.

the Great Northern Hotel is an example of this. Usually a pretty good craft beer list on tap though

The former 'brown couch' or whatever it was called? Near the corner of Nicholson?

I've been there a couple of times but didn't realise they had footy on. Great beers.

Problem with a lot of pubs that play the footy is that for Eagles games, especially when there's no Melbourne team playing, they'll often have the volume turned off and just have music playing.

the Great Northern Hotel is an example of this. Usually a pretty good craft beer list on tap though

I don't think it is near Nicholson? It is across the road from Belle's Hot Chicken. They usually have a few tv's going with multiple games. Tap line up is great and sell a good selection of craft in bottles.

You could probably walk further up the road and go toForrester's Beer Hall which has an absolutely outstanding selection of craft beer. I'd probably rate it one of the best in Melbourne (along with Carwyn). Pretty sure they show the fotty too.

Most of the 'mainstay' craft locations are probably doing GBW events, so may have ticket sales on. Though in the case of Carwyn (yet to go there) it sounds like their paid events are in one of the back rooms and the rest of the venue will operate as normal

Back