Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe not. Think the bigger model is only good up to 20 litres.
900w is a lot for its size but to put it into perspective a kettle is 2200w and only boils 2 litres.
Might be enough to just keep the wort moving a little bit and retain temps for poorly insulated mash tuns?

Orrrr it'll just make a boss steak

Might be enough to just keep the wort moving a little bit and retain temps for poorly insulated mash tuns?

Orrrr it'll just make a boss steak
Boss steak confirmed.

Have never tried it brewing. Worth a shot as long as you clean it well afterwards. When sous vide a steak it's only submerged in water.
Running sticky arse wort through it might be a no no.

They make these... Hand held element to immerse in the wort/mash

TomsBrewstick.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So my 2nd brew has turned out good. IPA I kinda put together myself.
Loving learning about all the different ingredients and how everything works.
Just 2% of grain was cara-pils and can notice a big difference with head from my first brew.
Friends seem to enjoy it, but not sure if they are saying its nice because they are being nice themselves. Free beer for compliments :p Comments were it was very hoppy. But they don't crave the hops as much as I do. I don't think its hoppy enough!

Went out for dinner last night at a restaurant had a Little Creatures IPA. Comparing mine to that (I wasn't trying to clone it or anything) I really didn't have a preference either way. Like it wasn't making me crave more, it was making me want to go home and drink my own instead for a fraction of the price I paid at the restaurant.

3rd brew already fermenting. Another SmaSH - this time Centenial. Basically same recipe as my first Citra one. Just trying to work out all the flavours.

My craving for hops is pushing me into a NEIPA direction. Might be next on the cards. Flaked oats and wheat? Uncle tobys and wheaties? Or something a little more specific? :)

Think maybe rotating smash - something new - smash - something new and so on is the way to go while learning.

PS. planning on using the robobrew to sous vide some nice steaks also in the future!

So my 2nd brew has turned out good. IPA I kinda put together myself.
Loving learning about all the different ingredients and how everything works.
Just 2% of grain was cara-pils and can notice a big difference with head from my first brew.
Friends seem to enjoy it, but not sure if they are saying its nice because they are being nice themselves. Free beer for compliments :p Comments were it was very hoppy. But they don't crave the hops as much as I do. I don't think its hoppy enough!

Went out for dinner last night at a restaurant had a Little Creatures IPA. Comparing mine to that (I wasn't trying to clone it or anything) I really didn't have a preference either way. Like it wasn't making me crave more, it was making me want to go home and drink my own instead for a fraction of the price I paid at the restaurant.

3rd brew already fermenting. Another SmaSH - this time Centenial. Basically same recipe as my first Citra one. Just trying to work out all the flavours.

My craving for hops is pushing me into a NEIPA direction. Might be next on the cards. Flaked oats and wheat? Uncle tobys and wheaties? Or something a little more specific? :)

Think maybe rotating smash - something new - smash - something new and so on is the way to go while learning.

PS. planning on using the robobrew to sous vide some nice steaks also in the future!

You sound like me about 7 years back.

You're ****ed now :D enjoy the ride.

You sound like me about 7 years back.

You're ****** now :D enjoy the ride.
Yeah i'm so ****ed. Looking into improving every aspect, reading up on forums and everything I can find to learn. Really glad i'm producing very drinkable beer straight away but wanting MORE!

Shoulda started doing this a while ago but just didn't know home brew could be so nice. Always thought it was kinda meh. Was just drinking the wrong stuff I guess.

Wife is reasonably happy with it all which is a big bonus. With beersmith I have put in all the $ values and this last batch cost $36 with 5.8kg grain, 180g hops and yeast and so on for 19L. So tell her that... then tell her the price of 2 cartons to get similar L of beer....
Water might be next. She works in a lab at Pzifer doing testing and s**t so would be all over getting the mash ph correct.

Yeah i'm so ******. Looking into improving every aspect, reading up on forums and everything I can find to learn. Really glad i'm producing very drinkable beer straight away but wanting MORE!

Shoulda started doing this a while ago but just didn't know home brew could be so nice. Always thought it was kinda meh. Was just drinking the wrong stuff I guess.

Wife is reasonably happy with it all which is a big bonus. With beersmith I have put in all the $ values and this last batch cost $36 with 5.8kg grain, 180g hops and yeast and so on for 19L. So tell her that... then tell her the price of 2 cartons to get similar L of beer....
Water might be next. She works in a lab at Pzifer doing testing and s**t so would be all over getting the mash ph correct.
Sounds like you're all over it mate.
The thing I like best about homebrew is the unlimited beers and styles you can make. It's like having a craft bottle shop at home.

Playing with water is definitely at the higher end of beer science.
My advice would be to brew shitloads to get you procedures down pact as this will always give you the best results regardless of how good your water profile is.

Just think of it like a brewery. You want to recreate that same beer to the same quality everytime. Join a brew club and do a few brewery tours.
You'll learn heaps about how they go about it and then just apply it to your own brewery and brewing practises.
The only thing we can't replicate without great expense is vessel transfer under pressure. Everything else is doable.

Yeah i'm so ******. Looking into improving every aspect, reading up on forums and everything I can find to learn. Really glad i'm producing very drinkable beer straight away but wanting MORE!

That's sick. Get her to steal some ph sensors etc.

Sounds like you are heading down the rabbit hole pretty quickly.

Centennial is great by the way. I just made a centennial/mandarina bavaria IPA which is pretty delicious

3rd brew kegged last night.
Going to do another brew tomorrow. Thinking will try a NEIPA.
But have no idea on flaked oats and wheat and where to get them. Googling doesn't seem to help either.
Is it just rolled oats? And would a normal wheat malt work?
Any info on where to get that stuff would be much appreciated :)

3rd brew kegged last night.
Going to do another brew tomorrow. Thinking will try a NEIPA.
But have no idea on flaked oats and wheat and where to get them. Googling doesn't seem to help either.
Is it just rolled oats? And would a normal wheat malt work?
Any info on where to get that stuff would be much appreciated :)
Flaked oats is just porridge oats I reckon. Wheat you'll get from a Homebrew store.

There's a bit of conjecture about whether oats or adjuncts like that even do anything for neipas. Might be more to do with the yeast and the hop oils from insane dry hopping schedules

There's a bit of conjecture about whether oats or adjuncts like that even do anything for neipas. Might be more to do with the yeast and the hop oils from insane dry hopping schedules

Spewing I hadn't seen this thread before!. FWIW a few months ago I brewed 2 20L batches of NEIPA with same hopping schedules, just with one batch sans oats (not because I was curious or anything, I'm just a dickhead who forgot them) and the "haze" levels were pretty well the same, the oat-less one was a little clearer, but you'd never notice.

Edit - sorry guys didn't realise this was on WCE boards!

Spewing I hadn't seen this thread before!. FWIW a few months ago I brewed 2 20L batches of NEIPA with same hopping schedules, just with one batch sans oats (not because I was curious or anything, I'm just a dickhead who forgot them) and the "haze" levels were pretty well the same, the oat-less one was a little clearer, but you'd never notice.

Edit - sorry guys didn't realise this was on WCE boards!
All good mate - we are all pretty agnostic here on the WC board.

Yeah I haven't tried to make a NEIPA yet, half because I've been pretty slack and half because I'm not a huge fan of the craze.

But it sounds like anecdotally the haze is probably mostly a combo of certain yeast strains and hopping methods.

How'd yours taste? Did you go with the usual mosaic/citra/simcoe/el dorado type hops, or something different?

Yeah they were both good - no simcoe, although that is without a doubt my favourite hop. Ahh from memory it was Mosaic, Citra and Mandarina Bavaria (which was used as the "bittering" hop at 10 mins) think I dry hopped at like 10g/L, and yeah went for the bio-transformation thing while yeast was still active, so one dry hop at krausen and then a normal dry hop. Was probably a bit too bitter, probably put the bittering hop in at flameout next time.

Yeah they were both good - no simcoe, although that is without a doubt my favourite hop. Ahh from memory it was Mosaic, Citra and Mandarina Bavaria (which was used as the "bittering" hop at 10 mins) think I dry hopped at like 10g/L, and yeah went for the bio-transformation thing while yeast was still active, so one dry hop at krausen and then a normal dry hop. Was probably a bit too bitter, probably put the bittering hop in at flameout next time.
I made an IPA recently with mandarina and centennial. Did a double dry hop to try and see what difference was made adding it after a few days only.

Really liked what the mando added to it so I'm definitely keen to use it again. Interesting honey-citrus vibe

Back