Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, very cool that mangrove jack has a yeast that is lager that is meant to ferment at ale temps, very excited to see how it turns out. I liked the look of some of the kolsch's on the market as well and this follows some of those grain bills but didn't want to use US-05 I had on hand, saving that for my next LC pale ale clone.

Goal for May is to have the Hazy Belgian IPA, California Common and Pale Ale either bottled on in FV's.

Also - the coopers stout I made a couple of months ago - :eek::thumbsu::thumbsu: got to love when the cheapest and easiest kit beers are so consistently awesome.
Coopers Stout is the best. I’ve never tried their kit though.

I’m really looking forward to trying this raspberry cacao stout that I have in the FV right now (sticky krausen permitting)

Thanks for ignoring me. Good bloke.
wtf%20%282%29.gif

I didn’t even realise you’d posted

Nah no GABS for me, I went to a Brooklyn matched dinner on Monday which was pretty good - their Bel Air Sour is damn good - and wouldn’t mind going to the Royston tonight and seeing if they still have their Feral stuff on tap.

The Mrs is finishing up writing her PhD thesis this weekend so I’m trying to help her out a bit at home.

Carwyn’s stuff is always awesome though

So that infected beer I made with a mate a few months ago, I kept a couple of bottles in the cupboard in case they were ok.

Cracked one today.

It’s actually bloody tasty. Not in the slightest bit sour. Only the tiniest bit funky. Just tastes like a malty, fruity brown ale.

2AF67419-FDC1-4BF3-AE09-0F9D278279C8.jpeg

Not bad for beer that had a thick fluffy layer of white mould on the top of it

Who has some tips for adding grapefruit/orange/mandarin zest to a secondary? I'm thinking if adding it to the steam ale

Should I be soaking in spirits before I add and should they go in a little hop sock? I remember how badly my bottling wand got clogged with all the dry hops in my neipa

Who has some tips for adding grapefruit/orange/mandarin zest to a secondary? I'm thinking if adding it to the steam ale

Should I be soaking in spirits before I add and should they go in a little hop sock? I remember how badly my bottling wand got clogged with all the dry hops in my neipa

I've done a couple of grapefruit sculpin clones before. I add the juice and rind of the fruit late in the boil and then I add peel to the dryhop.

Use a knife to peel long strips of the skin off the fruit, being careful not to get too much white pith as it is quite bitter. Then bring a very small amount of water to the boil, add the peel, boil for a couple of minutes, cool then add the remaining water and peel to the fermenter. You shouldnt have any issues bottling with this method where you would with grated rind.

So I'm on to my 5th thermometer in my first year of brewing. 2 coffee type ones that were hard to read and too short, meat thermometer (most reliable so far) and an electronic one that ruined a mash (hitting ~1.030) by over reporting the temp by about 20c.

First time using one of those glass candy thermometer for this next steam ale where mash temp will be crucial, wanting to mash at around 61-62c, so far I've been mashing at anywhere between 61-70 given how vague the meat thermometer is - does anybody have something (except for one of the kettle based ones) that is ultra reliable?

So I'm on to my 5th thermometer in my first year of brewing. 2 coffee type ones that were hard to read and too short, meat thermometer (most reliable so far) and an electronic one that ruined a mash (hitting ~1.030) by over reporting the temp by about 20c.

First time using one of those glass candy thermometer for this next steam ale where mash temp will be crucial, wanting to mash at around 61-62c, so far I've been mashing at anywhere between 61-70 given how vague the meat thermometer is - does anybody have something (except for one of the kettle based ones) that is ultra reliable?

I think this type was about 15 bucks from TWOC. Most LHBS should have them

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/BREW-KETT...-HOMEBREW-BEER-MOONSHINERS-MASH-/231270513030

Decided to decrease the size of my brews so I split my latest grain bill in half and added some of the extras I already had for a cheeky little Black IPA, will do the steam ale next week

This black IPA is kind of a '*it, see what happens' type brew, also note that I'm using fortnight hops and not centennial, just wanted something to plug into the brew software. Mashed in at 72c with 12L of water and hoping for ~8L batch, 65-66c in the mash for 60 minutes.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.31 %
Colour (SRM): 39.5 (EBC): 77.8
Bitterness (IBU): 44.6 (Tinseth)
71.05% American - Pale 2-Row
5.26% American - Munich - 60L
5.26% German - Carafa III
5.26% United Kingdom - Cara Malt
3.95% American - Wheat
3.95% German - Carapils
2.63% Belgian - Roasted Barley
2.63% United Kingdom - Chocolate
1 g/L Centennial (10% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Centennial (10% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Centennial (10% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Centennial (10% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Centennial (10% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 23°C with Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First sample of my raspberry belgian strong ale.

4AD5350E-6B19-4BA1-BC67-853FC4187FF2.jpeg

Super happy with the aroma, clarity and colour. Has a tartness and dry bitterness to it that I’m not loving but I’m sure will improve with age. Maybe shouldn’t have added sucrose to it but i was just doing what the literature said to do for belgians. It also has an interesting lager type aftertaste which may be the Perle hops I used.

The yeast didn’t provide the type of esters that I expected but it was my first belgian non-saison yeast experience.

I’m sure it will only get better with age, as I think a few green flavours are competing with each other.

Going to be interesting to see how it goes from week to week. I only have 14 more bottles so I need to ration

Need to leave it a while yet, let it Mello out from the high ABV. Low hop profile, hint of the crystal, good mouth feel but the high ABV and Saison yeast need to age for a bit
Yeah sounds like a plan. Bit easier to let stuff age in winter when you only feel like one beer after work instead of three in summer.

Just bottled my cacao raspberry porter - the one that had the stuck sparge.
FBF94C3E-05AD-475F-996C-7B9F79A66FAC.jpeg

Looking forward to that being carbed and aged a couple of months

Yeah sounds like a plan. Bit easier to let stuff age in winter when you only feel like one beer after work instead of three in summer.

Just bottled my cacao raspberry porter - the one that had the stuck sparge.

Looking forward to that being carbed and aged a couple of months

Yep, I think this is one of those 3+ month beers before it starts to hit its straps. Ended up with over a carton of the stuff so no rush, will go to the bottom of the storage shelf. I picked up a speedway stout from Re-Store today (30% off singles atm) and will crack that after work, I wouldn't expect to drink a 12% stout within the first year, some beers definitely need time.

Two brews done for May, I wanted to get through the steam ale as well but won't have time. So this Belgian IPA is bottled, Black IPA in the fermenter and smelling awesome and tasting like it could be an absolute champion. I think this is going to be more of a hoppy porter, out of the fv I'm getting really nice roast and chocolate compared to the hop monster of cascadian dark ales I made last year, I have around 8L in the fermenter so I expect just under a carton in the bottle.

June brews
Steam Ale - going to add in some galaxy after using up a lot of the fortnight hops I had on hand in the Black IPA.

Hefeweizen - Blasta brewing won me over with this one, DanWCE or anybody with advice? most recipes have 50/50 wheat/pils and then something like Hallertau or saaz and then choosing a citrus addition to complement the banana/clove flavour.

NEIPA - Going to revisit this one at the end of the month, might just go with an easy 70/20/10 pale/oats/wheat and then 15 minute boil with c-hops in the whirlpool. Thinking of trying S-04 for the first time in this one.

Yep, I think this is one of those 3+ month beers before it starts to hit its straps. Ended up with over a carton of the stuff so no rush, will go to the bottom of the storage shelf. I picked up a speedway stout from Re-Store today (30% off singles atm) and will crack that after work, I wouldn't expect to drink a 12% stout within the first year, some beers definitely need time.

Two brews done for May, I wanted to get through the steam ale as well but won't have time. So this Belgian IPA is bottled, Black IPA in the fermenter and smelling awesome and tasting like it could be an absolute champion. I think this is going to be more of a hoppy porter, out of the fv I'm getting really nice roast and chocolate compared to the hop monster of cascadian dark ales I made last year, I have around 8L in the fermenter so I expect just under a carton in the bottle.

June brews
Steam Ale - going to add in some galaxy after using up a lot of the fortnight hops I had on hand in the Black IPA.

Hefeweizen - Blasta brewing won me over with this one, DanWCE or anybody with advice? most recipes have 50/50 wheat/pils and then something like Hallertau or saaz and then choosing a citrus addition to complement the banana/clove flavour.

NEIPA - Going to revisit this one at the end of the month, might just go with an easy 70/20/10 pale/oats/wheat and then 15 minute boil with c-hops in the whirlpool. Thinking of trying S-04 for the first time in this one.
Never made a hefe.

My next beers will be two I’ve never made before: an English bitter/IPA and a hoppy Vienna lager.

June brews

Blasta hefe is gorgeous. Also try NBCs. Use 3068 yeast and ferment warm warm warm to get those banana and bubblegum esters. Ferment closer to typical ale temps if you like the clove.

Sorry I don't have any grain bills on me, Id be looking for the weihenstephaner clone considering thats the yeast I recommended. Allow a lot of head space for krausen.

California Common done, trying no chill for the first time so I will get a SG tomorrow.

How it looked on paper anyway
Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.61 %
Colour (SRM): 3.3 (EBC): 6.5
Bitterness (IBU): 35.3 (Tinseth)
90% American - Pale 2-Row
5% Pils
5% American - Wheat
1.1 g/L Fortnight @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Fortnight @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Galaxy @2 Minutes (Boil)