Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I pitched that yeast warm - like 21°. I really hate using chillers, they never get down to the desired temp.

Hope it doesn’t taste as estery as I suspect it might, although at least I’ll know what English yeast is capable of.

11L batch so no dramas

Spending a lovely afternoon brewing and reading the melts after the Port violation lastnight.
This is a bold IPA that will now be called the Arrogant Campaigner IPA (In Ports Arse).
View attachment 542042
Quoting my own post as a reference... and cos Im arrogant of course.
This one turned out quite well. Just like West Coasts miraculous comeback in the game that inspires it, this beer overshot the mark. Starting at 1.066 I was expecting about 70% attenuation with the Norcal #5 yeast (gigayeast) and an Fg around 1.017. Just like WC on that glorious day it just kept coming and finished at 1.008 giving me a 7.5% IPA.
Loads of Eldorado Centential and Columbus dry hops, she is very pungent, a touch more alc warmth than I would like but super drinkable due to its dry finish.
Goes well with some September Port Adelaide salt on the side. 20180911_181356.jpg

Last edited:
Quoting my own post as a reference... and cos Im arrogant of course.
This one turned out quite well. Just like West Coasts miraculous comeback in the game that inspires it, this beer overshot the mark. Starting at 1.066 I was expecting about 70% attenuation with the Norcal #5 yeast (gigayeast) and an Fg around 1.017. Just like WC on that glorious day it just kept coming and finished at 1.008 giving me a 7.5% IPA.
Loads of Eldorado Centential and Columbus dry hops, she is very pungent, a touch more alc warmth than I would like but super drinkable due to its dry finish.
Goes well with some September Port Adelaide salt on the side.View attachment 557404
Damn how’d it attenuate so much??

Damn how’d it attenuate so much??
I did mash at 63C but that shouldnt account for that big a swing.
This was a 4th generation yeast so I think it has changed into a hungry beast. Blokes that only use a yeast once and chuck it astound me. Aside from the obvious financial benifits, many yeasts realy hit their straps a few generations in

This was a 4th generation yeast so I think it has changed into a hungry beast. Blokes that only use a yeast once and chuck it astound me. Aside from the obvious financial benifits, many yeasts realy hit their straps a few generations in
Yeah I’ve never reused but I really want to. Will do it with this latest batch of Wyeast 1968

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you get the gigayeast? Never seen it in HBS here in Melb

Yeah I need to watch it. I just found it all a bit tense at the time. I find it so much easier to watch mindless comedies - like match day threads

Just throw on a mindless comedy episode to finish your viewing session. I've had that at times where it's lights out and all I can think of is the insane s**t I just watched on TV for the past couple hours. Helps to press reset with some Brooklyn Nine Nine or similar. BB is not worth missing.

Trying something new.

I'm committed to cutting down on alcohol after watching a few documentaries on casual drinking so I'm going to give something a try - kombucha.

I think if I can play around with it enough I can start getting some decent fruit additions, dry hopping, spices etc while still having the carbonation and tartness I'm after.

Trying something new.

I'm committed to cutting down on alcohol after watching a few documentaries on casual drinking so I'm going to give something a try - kombucha.

I think if I can play around with it enough I can start getting some decent fruit additions, dry hopping, spices etc while still having the carbonation and tartness I'm after.
Yeah i think i might try going a month without alcohol next month - if we win the flag - as an experiment to see if it improves my health at all.

Not going to be easy. Keep us in the loop re: the komb!

Yeah i think i might try going a month without alcohol next month - if we win the flag - as an experiment to see if it improves my health at all.

Not going to be easy. Keep us in the loop re: the komb!
MY scoby is starting to form, I harvested from a commercial bottle of raw booch so I expect it will take the best part of a month before I get a viable scoby to start working with.

In the meantime I'm getting back into making cold brew coffee and beef jerky, still thinking about the best way to go about hot sauce as well.

MY scoby is starting to form, I harvested from a commercial bottle of raw booch so I expect it will take the best part of a month before I get a viable scoby to start working with.

In the meantime I'm getting back into making cold brew coffee and beef jerky, still thinking about the best way to go about hot sauce as well.
I’m sure you’ll find some sort of documentary that says coffee and beef jerky gives you cancer ;)

Back