Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Stoked - was gonna do a Hefeweizen on Saturday but Brewmart have added a Witbier recipe overnight! Can't wait - I know it won't measure up to a Hoegaarden - but * it'll be a great one to have for the summer!

You know what Kevin Spacey, I think you've motivated me to try.
Do it. Just peel a bunch of oranges (avoid the white pith) and wack it in the kettle . Wouldn’t need to boil it

You will probably need to add more than what the recipe says for dried peel

I’ve never made a wit or hefe but i don’t see why this wouldn’t work. The yeast does most of the heavy lifting for these styles anyways

Do it. Just peel a bunch of oranges (avoid the white pith) and wack it in the kettle . Wouldn’t need to boil it

I’ve never made a wit or hefe but i don’t see why this wouldn’t work. The yeast does most of the heavy lifting for these styles anyways

Yeah I'm on it - picking up the recipe on Saturday but putting it off for another week. Starting late this weekend will be hot as balls in my shed.

Hopefully drinkable. The question now is whether it’s a waste doing a dry hop?!?

Taste it when fermentation is complete and see how it is. That's assuming you're not doing a NEIPA that would warrant early-fermentation dryhopping.

I've done the opposite to you before, much less detrimental. Cold crashed a beer then racked it to keg. Overwhelmed by my own efficiency at having another fresh wort ready to ferment in my dual purpose fermenting-cold crashing fridge, I added yeast to the new wort in the fermenter, plonked it in the fridge and walked away. Returned the following morning to bask in the airlock bubbly goodness only to find I'd left the fridge running at cold crashing temp!!! Took a little while to rouse the yeast into action.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full steam ahead Spaceman, picked up the recipe, can't wait to give it a smash - has coriander seeds to crush, * load of flaked wheat and oats (grabbed some rice hulls) and looking forward to using my cocktail utensil I usually use for a Bullet Martini for getting some fine orange rind. Might even buy a mortar and pestil for the coriander.

I'm excited!

First night. Good start!
It will be fine. The yeast cells only multiply until they've obsorbed all the oxygen cells in the first day or so which is why the airlock doesn't bubble, C02 form, condensation from heat build up etc
It's day 3-10 that are most important to the flavour profile. Then after day 10 or so when the yeast cleans up after itself and removes all the undesirables.

Full steam ahead Spaceman, picked up the recipe, can't wait to give it a smash - has fresh coriander to crush, fu** load of flaked wheat and oats (grabbed some rice hulls) and looking forward to using my cocktail utensil I usually use for a Bullet Martini for getting some fine orange rind. Might even buy a mortar and pestil for the coriander.

I'm excited!
You're putting coriander in a beer.

You sir are my hero.

It will be fine. The yeast cells only multiply until they've obsorbed all the oxygen cells in the first day or so which is why the airlock doesn't bubble, C02 form, condensation from heat build up etc
It's day 3-10 that are most important to the flavour profile. Then after day 10 or so when the yeast cleans up after itself and removes all the undesirables.
That’s positive news!

Yeah I’ve heard varying info about the times that are most critical for yeast but you could be right - only way to find out is to let it ride and taste it afterward!

Back