Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah go for it

ALL THE LACTOSE!

I think I've had a few abnormal attenuations in my earlier batches and I'm expecting excess 80% levels. Still learning just to chill out and let things run their course instead of being a control freak.

DanWCE was at Mandoon getting super pissy today (*en great) and me brothers and I were discussing Perth BBQ School and I was alerted to this. I know you're a southie but you might find it interesting:

DanWCE was at Mandoon getting super pissy today (fu**en great) and me brothers and I were discussing Perth BBQ School and I was alerted to this. I know you're a southie but you might find it interesting:

That's who supplies PBBQS 🙂 They do some veeeery good meat. My local is Ryan's, who do heaps of awesome stuff including some belter burger kits.

That's who supplies PBBQS 🙂 They do some veeeery good meat. My local is Ryan's, who do heaps of awesome stuff including some belter burger kits.

Oh geez - that's Perth eh? 2 degrees of separation.

Also how good is Mandoon?! Have they opened up the Llawn yet?

Yeah 3 birthday celebrations put off by the virus celebrated today. Really great time -Llawn majority up again - food stall and deli are still closed though. Beautiful day out with the fam.

Anova for sous vide. Just set up your old stove top big W pot on your benchtop for the day.
Smoker. UDS all the way.
Get some burbon barrel and wine barrel chunks for smoking.

I reverse sear steaks in my Weber GA. Im due to do another steak actually. Been to long.

What the fu** is an oatcream IPA?

‘DDH Oat Cream DIPA’ is the beer of choice for hypelords these days

I queried this on a fb group recently.

consensus was that it’s basically to give cool-kid breweries a more edgy way of saying NEIPA.

Double dry hopped, huge amount of oats in the grist for maximum thick mouthfeel. I don’t think they all have lactose but you’d imagine a lot of them would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘DDH Oat Cream DIPA’ is the beer of choice for hypelords these days

I queried this on a fb group recently.

consensus was that it’s basically to give cool-kid breweries a more edgy way of saying NEIPA.

Double dry hopped, huge amount of oats in the grist for maximum thick mouthfeel. I don’t think they all have lactose but you’d imagine a lot of them would.

It's just plain oats, right - not rolled?

Also how to do you add fruit to your fermenter in terms of sanitation? Vodka is far too expensive so I'm considering either boiling or rinsing in Star San.

It's just plain oats, right - not rolled?

Also how to do you add fruit to your fermenter in terms of sanitation? Vodka is far too expensive so I'm considering either boiling or rinsing in Star San.
Depends what it is. What kind of fruit are you thinking?

Rolled oats generally. Sometimes malted oats

Depends what it is. What kind of fruit are you thinking?

Rolled oats generally. Sometimes malted oats

Either apricot or mango, probably tinned.

Fairly sure rolled oats and flaked oats are the same.

Either apricot or mango, probably tinned.

Fairly sure rolled oats and flaked oats are the same.
Pretty sure they are too.

if it’s tinned then I wouldn’t even worry about it, just pour straight into the fermenter. if the beer is mostly finished fermenting then the pH will have dropped enough and alcohol produced enough to take care of minor contaminants. And the tins will have food acids in them to kill stuff off too.

I would add the fruit just before the beer’s finished up, make sure it’s still active to reduce oxygen issues, but not so active to drive off too much of the aroma

Pretty sure they are too.

if it’s tinned then I wouldn’t even worry about it, just pour straight into the fermenter. if the beer is mostly finished fermenting then the pH will have dropped enough and alcohol produced enough to take care of minor contaminants. And the tins will have food acids in them to kill stuff off too.

I would add the fruit just before the beer’s finished up, make sure it’s still active to reduce oxygen issues, but not so active to drive off too much of the aroma

So like 5 points off FG?

Thanks for the advice man, will keep it in mind. It's gonna be super mild anyway - like low lactose, oats and fruit.

So like 5 points off FG?

Thanks for the advice man, will keep it in mind. It's gonna be super mild anyway - like low lactose, oats and fruit.
Yeah or even less. It’ll kick back into gear again either way with the fruit sugar added, but I’d just advise against pouring it in days after the yeast has retired.

So like 5 points off FG?

To retain the good parts of adding fruit to the fermenter you probably want to avoid having the fruit ferment out. That's a bit of a conundrum with bottling because you'll have bottle bombs if you don't ferment the fruit. But if you do you'll lose a lot of the fructose and flavour.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes and what works best for your setup. In my head when I was planning a milkshake IPA many moons ago (never got around to brewing it) I considered the keg a saviour. My thought process was to ferment out, crash chill, "back sweeten" with fruit flesh for a few days, then rack cold into keg and straight on tap so it stays cold, thus avoiding secondary fermentation.

Yeah or even less. It’ll kick back into gear again either way with the fruit sugar added, but I’d just advise against pouring it in days after the yeast has retired.

I've read to avoid dry hopping and fruit at the same time, what's your thoughts?

To retain the good parts of adding fruit to the fermenter you probably want to avoid having the fruit ferment out. That's a bit of a conundrum with bottling because you'll have bottle bombs if you don't ferment the fruit. But if you do you'll lose a lot of the fructose and flavour.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes and what works best for your setup. In my head when I was planning a milkshake IPA many moons ago (never got around to brewing it) I considered the keg a saviour. My thought process was to ferment out, crash chill, "back sweeten" with fruit flesh for a few days, then rack cold into keg and straight on tap so it stays cold, thus avoiding secondary fermentation.

Very good point.

Very good point.

Maybe give it a bash with fermenting the fruit out, it might turn out fine? It could be a good idea to note your pre and post fruit gravity to see if there's a change (particularly if you add blitzed up pulp) so you can track the fruit fermenting as well.

As for fruit sanitation - freeze it 🙂

Maybe give it a bash with fermenting the fruit out, it might turn out fine? It could be a good idea to note your pre and post fruit gravity to see if there's a change (particularly if you add blitzed up pulp) so you can track the fruit fermenting as well.

As for fruit sanitation - freeze it 🙂

Yeah gonna put it in whilst it's still active, would rather trace flavours than bottle bombs!

In regards to freezing it, how would that work? Wouldn't the nasties just survive the freeze?

Yeah gonna put it in whilst it's still active, would rather trace flavours than bottle bombs!

In regards to freezing it, how would that work? Wouldn't the nasties just survive the freeze?

Freezing is akin to boiling, really. Minus the loss. You could buy frozen fruit from the shops, otherwise use canned fruit, drain it and put it in star san'd zip lock bags, then chuck them in the freezer for a few days to get a good freeze.

Remove from freezer, blitz in star san'd blender, add to fermenter. I've used frozen fruit before (sour) as have many others in many types of beer without infection. I reckon you'll be right. And as Spacey says, it's a good time to add it when you've got a colony of rampant saccharomyces in there plus alcohol. You'd be at much more risk adding fruit when you add yeast.

Back