Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely fits the flavour profile but usually more plum/raisin than banana. They age well so that is an absolute bargain at $1.50!

Hmmm yeah can detect a hint of plummy goodness. Had 2 homebrews before this and half of this is making me feel fairly tipsy.

Used to love a good Kwak and Hoegaarden Grand Cru and Julius varieties back in the mid 2000s - they helped begin my interest in the concept of glass design for beer type. Remember getting a 4 pack of Kwak with the bonus glass the night Kerr trounced St Kilda in Melbourne in 2006.

Hmmm yeah can detect a hint of plummy goodness. Had 2 homebrews before this and half of this is making me feel fairly tipsy.

Used to love a good Kwak and Hoegaarden Grand Cru and Julius varieties back in the mid 2000s - they helped begin my interest in the concept of glass design for beer type. Remember getting a 4 pack of Kwak with the bonus glass the night Kerr trounced St Kilda in Melbourne in 2006.
Yeah I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve tried the La Trappe quad. Try the St Bernardus Abt 12 for a good example.

Elvis Juice settled at 87% attenuation for a solid 5.5% ABV. Target was 6.5% but I missed that from the OG so lucky to get to current levels. Not hugely fussed, anywhere in the 4 to 7% range I'm happy.

Good citrus burst on the schnozzy?

Can only speak for scent in the fridge right now and that's an affirmative. Checked it yesterday morning, 5 degrees at my place, opened up the fridge and it's a balmy 23 degrees and a citrussy hop punch in the face and wanted to crawl in their and snuggle up to the ferm.

Taking the rind and hop sox out tomoz, will have to hold myself from burying my face in it like a swirly!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is probably the most basic question, but what do you guys put in your airlocks?

I've been using a bottle of vodka that was left at my place and have finally run out. Put sanitiser in there and it's bubbly as fu**. Should I just boil and cool some water instead?

Whats an airlock :moustache:

Throw the campaigner in the bin and go with a franga

A mixture of that and being dormant for so long, I guess. In hindsight we could have batch primed the barrel and then filled bottles. The task now is much more difficult. Guessing we won't need to add any more sugar/drops to the mix.

Shame as it tastes so damn good, but can't drink it all flat!
I use the coopers carb drops. Never have a problem.

Didn't want to keg the stout?

Problem with hop spiders is all of the ones you can buy cheaply are way too fine so the hops donā€™t really make enough contact with the wort. I had one and used a few times but you could tell very little wort was passing through it so it wasnā€™t an efficient use of hops.

Not an issue if itā€™s only 30g or so for 60 min but not so good if you want to use it for large amounts of flameout hops

Iirc I remember seeing one with larger holes but it cost too much to justify buying it.
I think mine was about $50? And I've seen them second hand for half that. I unclip mine off the side of the urn and swish it through the wort and pump it up and down a bit to move the hops through the wort. I also use my stirrer to mix whatever is in the hop spider, as well as straining the liquid out while I'm chilling the wort.

Not sure if any of those are best practice, they're just what I was doing.
Sounds like good practice to me. Mine was only like $10 from eBay though - iā€™m a stingy f***er lol. Probably why it was sh*t

I think theyā€™re handy. Much easier to clean than mesh bags
I've got one of those super fine Keg King ones that I end up tea bagging with (phrasing). I've a big steel spoon and I stir them up and take the spider out and let the fluid drain then put it back in, try to do it about 10 times for the boil then one last time at the end. I seem to get a heap of trub in my fermenter and was considering the whirlpool to help minimise it. Might try it with the plastic one next brew and see how it goes.

Bought most of the ingredients for the Elvis Juice yesterday to brew in a fortnight, just need a couple of fresh grapefruits and blood oranges to finish it off. Bit disappointed I can't buy the hops by the gram here though, ended up being quite pricy when buying hops I only need 75g of but had to buy 100g.
Man Im old school. I aint ever used a hop spider before. One time I legit used one of the missus nylon stockings but its all s**t.
Boil. Chuck in hops. Whirlpool. Single bend SS pick up tube. Stop transfer when you see hop break and trub head for the pick up. Easy as.

I think maybe I'm over oxygenating? I use the O2 bottle and inline kit for the recommended 60 seconds but I go through a bottle every 5 batches when I'm told it should last 9. Also add yeast nutrient and use smack packs too.
30-45 seconds with the surface just breaking tension (like a rolling boil)
My Bunnings welding o2 bottles last 15+ batches.

Move it around as you do it. Saturate the wort with o2. Less is more depending on the size of your beer as you only need so much o2 for so many yeast cells.
If you pump the whole o2 bottle in the yeast will do their best to obsorb every bit of it before they start to convert sugars into ethanol. They only need so much o2 per million cells per litre of wort at a certain OG.

I'm going to try making my own candi syrup for some belgians which requires about a teaspoon per kilo of syrup. I didn't realise it only required a teaspoon when i bought it. I don't think it'll really go bad though, it's just dead yeast and a bunch of minerals. I also don't think you can over dose with it. Going to add at least a teaspoon to each batch from now on + a little for yeast propagation!

I normally just rely on the splashing from going into the fermenter but will also give it a shake in the fermenter before pitching
I uased to use the Coopers packet yeast as yeast nutrient and pitch US05

As for splashing wort into fermenters this will only allow some atmosphere into the wort.
Some of it wild yeast and poo particles, Coronavirus etc and maybe 14% o2 as the atmosphere is 86ish% nitrogen anyway.
Thats why its best to use pure o2. Its 7 or 8 times better for your yeast.

I uased to use the Coopers packet yeast as yeast nutrient and pitch US05

As for splashing wort into fermenters this will only allow some atmosphere into the wort.
Some of it wild yeast and poo particles, Coronavirus etc and maybe 14% o2 as the atmosphere is 86ish% nitrogen anyway.
Thats why its best to use pure o2. Its 7 or 8 times better for your yeast.
Yeah that's true. I also don't bother as much when using dry yeast though as fairly sure they engineer it in a way that allows for anaerobic growth once rehydrated. It's when you repitch it or use liquid yeats that you need to help it through that growth phase using O2. I generally just use double the packets when doing bigger beers

Still, i have the O2 tank, might as well use it a bit more often!

Haven't brewed in ages but got two batches worth of ingredients ordered on saturday...hopefully Aus Post doesn't take an eternity to deliver it

Made a couple of purchases yesterday, got the entry level SS Brewtech 38L kettle:

images (1).jpeg

Now I can keep my tomato sauce making pot separate from home brew, and with a flat bottom versus the concave base of my keggles it should get a bit more contact with the flames and boil a bit faster/evenly. Just gotta wait for it to come from Victoria.

And picking the up Grainfather aerator/whirlpool arm today:

images (2).jpeg

So gonna jump on the whirlpool train in earnest from the next batch which will be the Dunkelweizen.

I know neither are really necessary, but I can see my hobbies slowly reducing in number so I don't mind chucking a few bucks at it.

Back