Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Your fermentation accuracy is bang on. But you do seem to be losing some efficiency in the mash. Have you changed anything in this regard? And have you calculated how much you're missing your targets by?

I'd adjust the mash bill by that % for the next brew or two and see what it does for you. Only because you don't want to be starting from a low base, achieving high attenuation and then having 'thin' beer as a result.

This particular batch I mashed in too hot (69), then added some cool water in which made it GO TOO FAR THE OTHER WAY! (61), so then had to adjust it back to about 64 but by there was about 20L of water in the mash tun. I totally agree, I'd prefer to get the beer right in terms of gravity like FKASC mentioned above than hit the right ABV, but in the same breath it's not the end of the world and I'm not looking to win any comps.

Been reading through the old articles on Brulosophy and wondered what you guys did.
Because my system is one vessel, I just set it to boil after the mash and after it hits about 75-80 I lift it out

I think it just helps release the wort from the grain because it’s less viscous at the higher temp

How's things gents?

Cold crashed my Dunkelweizen, going to bottle on Friday night - smells delicious. Trying to grab a Weinstephaner to compare for research purposes.

Haven't been drinking much lately, but still been stocking up as things come up. Found 3 different Belching Beaver peanut butter brews at Thirsty Camel in Maddington - peanut butter is my favourite food. Also some saisons and a Pilsner Urquell as they are my next 2 planned brews.

You guys checked our Pet Nat wines? Something you may be interested in for it's beer similarity.

How's things gents?

Cold crashed my Dunkelweizen, going to bottle on Friday night - smells delicious. Trying to grab a Weinstephaner to compare for research purposes.

Haven't been drinking much lately, but still been stocking up as things come up. Found 3 different Belching Beaver peanut butter brews at Thirsty Camel in Maddington - peanut butter is my favourite food. Also some saisons and a Pilsner Urquell as they are my next 2 planned brews.

You guys checked our Pet Nat wines? Something you may be interested in for it's beer similarity.

I've only had one pet nat. It was from garage project and very good! Keen to get into more. There's a place in South Freo called Madalenas which has a great range plus they churn out some quality seafood.

I've had shitloads of pet nat. I live in Melbourne duh. Mostly it's good stuff - bit like saison/farmhouse.

I am 3 days into the ferment for my hoppyweizen. It smells bloody good in the fermenting fridge. Bloody good.

My red rye IPA bitterness has mellowed out a fair bit and the fruitiness is shining through a little more. Tasting pretty good but still a little too bitter.

Would be interested to hear how your dunkel comparison goes!

I've had shitloads of pet nat. I live in Melbourne duh. Mostly it's good stuff - bit like saison/farmhouse.

I am 3 days into the ferment for my hoppyweizen. It smells bloody good in the fermenting fridge. Bloody good.

My red rye IPA bitterness has mellowed out a fair bit and the fruitiness is shining through a little more. Tasting pretty good but still a little too bitter.

Would be interested to hear how your dunkel comparison goes!
What were your stats on the Hopfenweissen (OG etc)?
I have an English Mild going into the fermenter today after I pull out my NVPA (first brew in 9 months!) however I will be brewing the Hopfenwiessen next. My system is a double batch 3V.
Thinking of using first runnings as the Hopfenweizzen then 2nd runnings into a different kettle to create a lowish abv Hefe which will get fermented first to build a big yeast cake (3068) for the Hopweiss. Both worts will be no chill so expecting to cube hop the Hopfenweiss and give a good dry hop. Plan on using Hallertau Mittlefre and Cascade.
Has anyone here made 2 beers from the same mash with a high ABV 1st running and a low abv second running? Not sure how to go about calculating expected gravities etc. Will probably just take a swing at it, adjust the recipe on the fly once I see my gravity going into the kettle and see what happens.

Dan Murphy's doing no favours to my liver. Went over on my lunch break and had a look in the discounts trolley - got 4 Dainton Blood Orange NEIPA's and 2 Sierra Nevada California IPA's for $11. BB 04/21.

I have an English Mild going into the fermenter today after I pull out my NVPA (first brew in 9 months!) however I will be brewing the Hopfenwiessen next. My system is a double batch 3V.
Thinking of using first runnings as the Hopfenweizzen then 2nd runnings into a different kettle to create a lowish abv Hefe which will get fermented first to build a big yeast cake (3068) for the Hopweiss. Both worts will be no chill so expecting to cube hop the Hopfenweiss and give a good dry hop. Plan on using Hallertau Mittlefre and Cascade.
Has anyone here made 2 beers from the same mash with a high ABV 1st running and a low abv second running? Not sure how to go about calculating expected gravities etc. Will probably just take a swing at it, adjust the recipe on the fly once I see my gravity going into the kettle and see what happens.
Hey mate

My wheat was about 1.060. IBU hard to tell as I no-chilled it. I'm worried I may have over done it, but fingers crossed she's not too bitter. Got about 21L of beer. Poor efficiency (becoming a bit of a trend - need to change my process a bit).

I'm not super amped about this one as my red IPA has already lost a lot of its hop aroma and seems a bit oxidised. Have an inkling the CO2 I got a while ago isn't 100% pure as i've been doing all I can to closed transfer and eliminate all oxygen from my system and yet with 100 g of dry hops it's almost all gone. Lame. Feel like i'm almost never satisfied with my hoppy beers, and it's shitting me off almost as much as the current WCE small forward situation

I haven't ever done a second runnings - mostly because I only use a single vessel system so never really had the opportunity to try it out. You can always compensate the second beer with some DME if it's too light. Not sure if pH needs to be considered if it's all mostly sparge water? Will be interested to hear how it goes!

Hey mate

My wheat was about 1.060. IBU hard to tell as I no-chilled it. I'm worried I may have over done it, but fingers crossed she's not too bitter. Got about 21L of beer. Poor efficiency (becoming a bit of a trend - need to change my process a bit).

I'm not super amped about this one as my red IPA has already lost a lot of its hop aroma and seems a bit oxidised. Have an inkling the CO2 I got a while ago isn't 100% pure as i've been doing all I can to closed transfer and eliminate all oxygen from my system and yet with 100 g of dry hops it's almost all gone. Lame. Feel like i'm almost never satisfied with my hoppy beers, and it's shitting me off almost as much as the current WCE small forward situation

I haven't ever done a second runnings - mostly because I only use a single vessel system so never really had the opportunity to try it out. You can always compensate the second beer with some DME if it's too light. Not sure if pH needs to be considered if it's all mostly sparge water? Will be interested to hear how it goes!
Interesting regarding hop aroma loss.
Do you check the pH of your mash and sparge? Do you do any water additions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drinking my first HB in about 9 months.
Vienna Rye PA with a lot of Nelson Sauv and Mosaic and running at about 6%. Bit dangerous.

Looks amazing mate. Wish I had the patience and knowledge of you guys.

_20200919_172313.JPG

Trying this Pet-Nat our tonight. Like a funky champagne. Pretty mild and nice tasting for me as I don't like sparkling. Can't find a huge amount of variations is the style yet, want to get into it to have something to share with the Mrs. There's a Rose style at Dan Murphy's and will look around at Maine and Cellarbrations next week.

View attachment 965480

Trying this Pet-Nat our tonight. Like a funky champagne. Pretty mild and nice tasting for me as I don't like sparkling. Can't find a huge amount of variations is the style yet, want to get into it to have something to share with the Mrs. There's a Rose style at Dan Murphy's and will look around at Maine and Cellarbrations next week.
There’s supposed to be quite a few decent natural wine wineries around Denmark which would have some good pet nats I reckon. They’re best at a winery or wine bar when you can try a few over the bar, like with beer. Problem with wine is you buy one bottle and only get to taste that in a sitting (unless you have lots of mates to share with, or you like to get lit alone)

Do you guys mash-out before sparging?
They're effectively one and the same.

Add sparge water to mash.
Mash at 60-70C
Sparge water at 80-90C
Drain and boil.
If you dont have the room to add water at a higher temp to 'mash out' then just run some wort off and sparge straight away which raises the temp of the mash and starts the mash out and denatures the mash enzymes anyways.
This is where you could close your mash outlet tap in order to store the hotter sparge water in the mash, effectively acting as a mash out if you wanted but really a higher temp sparge is a ongoing active mashout anyway.

How's things gents?

:think: not sure if a spread is in a food group.
Personally meat is my favorite food. Followed by beer which I realise is not a food.

Partigyle FTW

I dont know how many time Ive done this but it would be 15 or 20 times.

If your second beer is really low gravity cos you were drunk when you did your calcs you can just take a measurement on your refractometer and boil for longer until you get a decent OG and hop to suit style and gravity on the fly as we used to say :D

Back