• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
A bit to much head but a beautiful creamy tight head it is.
Black IPA.

Think I might have put the recipe up here?
*en ripper beer.
Very close to my favourite beer of 2019
Woolshed black IPA great Southern trendkiller.

I wasn't trying to clone anything just use up some malt I had and went with a tried and tested hop combo in Citra Cascade and Simcoe.

IMG_20200925_183956.jpg

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
That's a joke BTW

It was more about available days between incoming rain. Between wet weekends and family obligations I'm behind the 8 ball on my lawns coming into Spring. Still wayyy ahead of the condition it was in late last year, but if I don't clear some time to get into it soon it'll be another season of chasing my tail.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
A bit to much head but a beautiful creamy tight head it is.
Black IPA.

Think I might have put the recipe up here?
fu**en ripper beer.
Very close to my favourite beer of 2019
Woolshed black IPA great Southern trendkiller.

I wasn't trying to clone anything just use up some malt I had and went with a tried and tested hop combo in Citra Cascade and Simcoe.

View attachment 970677

I'm not familiar with this term too much head, but extra points for the Pantera reference! Looks a great beer.

It was more about available days between incoming rain. Between wet weekends and family obligations I'm behind the 8 ball on my lawns coming into Spring. Still wayyy ahead of the condition it was in late last year, but if I don't clear some time to get into it soon it'll be another season of chasing my tail.

I feel ya man, spent 3.5 hours into the dwindling light last Friday mowing and weeding after being lazy for a good 6 weeks due to it raining most weekends or working. Tempted to reach into my Italian heritage and just blue metal the entire block!

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I feel ya man, spent 3.5 hours into the dwindling light last Friday mowing and weeding after being lazy for a good 6 weeks due to it raining most weekends or working. Tempted to reach into my Italian heritage and just blue metal the entire block!

Bloody Winter grass and bindi. Gotta get it early! Eventually I'd probably like more concrete and less grass but with the little one we definitely need the grass. Toddlers are far too injury prone!

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
now you a talka my langwich

Doing a side by side tasting with the Weinstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel at the moment; much lighter in colour, similar sweet after taste but a bit more subtle in banana and clove flavours and much better head retention. All surprising from a 1000 year old brewery! 😜

Gotta say I'm super happy with this batch, thanks for the inspiration FKASC!

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Doing a side by side tasting with the Weinstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel at the moment; much lighter in colour, similar sweet after taste but a bit more subtle in banana and clove flavours and much better head retention. All surprising from a 1000 year old brewery! 😜

Gotta say I'm super happy with this batch, thanks for the inspiration FKASC!
All good man. I literally drank a bottle of those 30 mins ago. Delicious.

It’s really hard to balance that banana. My hoppy weizen is an ester bomb and I fermented cool

All good man. I literally drank a bottle of those 30 mins ago. Delicious.

It’s really hard to balance that banana. My hoppy weizen is an ester bomb and I fermented cool

Keen to know how it turns out, it's an interesting style you've embarked upon.

Love a good German or Belgian beer, the masters IMO. Also their dunkel is much hazier than mine which is surprising.

Picked up the ingredients for my next 2 batches today, first the Belgian Strawberry Saison, then the Bohemian Pilsner. Have to wait until I can get some more yeast for the pils, Perth has FA with what's happening over east, hopefully it all *s off soon.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
So I just had a mate send me a pick from Facebook of someone using a magnet for dry hopping.......😯😯 this f***er is living in 2050 and I'm all the way back here. Could easily slide it down for a few days then slide it back out.
Mind blown
View attachment 978283
Yeah I’ve seen this a bit on the online groups - pretty good thinking. Only problem is those tea strainer things hold such a small amount of hops, especially once they are wet and expand. Maybe if you could make it open up and release the hops it could be cool. Good if you’re doing a small dry hop though.

other alternatives is to dry hop only ~2-3 days into fermentation so that the oxygen introduced is quickly neutralised by the yeast. Or if you keg you can add hops to a bigger version of this strainer in your keg, purge with CO2 and then transfer your beer into it. Only issue with that is you risk the hops being in the beer too long, but the jury is out re: whether that’s a myth or not.

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
So I just had a mate send me a pick from Facebook of someone using a magnet for dry hopping.......😯😯 this f***er is living in 2050 and I'm all the way back here. Could easily slide it down for a few days then slide it back out.
Mind blown
View attachment 978283
Just like the rare earth magnets you use to make stir plates.

I've still got a heap of muslin cloth from my filth BIAB days. I use that with a cable tie and bit of string occasionally.
But really Im lazy AF and just dry hop the day I turn the fridge down and cold crash. No yeast activity or C02 means more hoppy goodness and less ******* around and risk of infection.

HLT filled and set on the timer, all set for the saison tomorrow boys!

Still in awe of this Dunkelweizen, up there with the BF Stout from a few months back. Thinking after the Pils I've got lined up in a month I might try a Kolsch or Helles.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Finally got my partigyle Hopfenweizenbock/ hefe down lastnight.
22L of 1.044 hefe fermenting to build the WY3068 yeast cake ready to take on a 23L cube of 1.090 hopfenweis. I may need to hook up a fire hose as a blow off tube.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

I got 5 hours worth of hand weeding the lawns done yesterday, and then onto a few VPAs and Imperial Biggies. The lawn is actually in pretty good nick this year but it's amazing how many little *ers you find in there once you get going. So much bindii that's about to flower and turn into shitty prickles. Filled a whole green lid bin with weeds and lawn cuttings 😳

Into Freo today for froffs 🤘

Back