Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Decided to leave the starter for another night and it was going off by the next morning, big krausen and nice yeast cake so left it another day until last night where it had settled a fair bit and chucked it in the fridge. It's still bubbling despite how cold it is but should be nicely ready for tomorrow - all set up for this Vienna lager!

View attachment 1034634
Keep us updated. I should be brewing a lager for the back end of summer. I’ve got a mixed culture sour on the go while I’m in WA but need to get a bunch of brews going when I get back

Keep us updated. I should be brewing a lager for the back end of summer. I’ve got a mixed culture sour on the go while I’m in WA but need to get a bunch of brews going when I get back

It's coming along nicely, dropped 10 points since pitching on Saturday night and is sitting at 11 degrees. Bubbling in the airlock is starting to pick up but can see how slow it moves compared to an ale.

Dropped further 10 overnight and airlock is going mad and has got the serious rotten egg smell going now so will have to get on top off the d-rest in a couple of days.

Kinda hoping the attenuation just sticks to normal at 74-79% rather than some of the stupid figures I've got the last few times. But safe to say I'll be doing the starters for all brews lager or ale in the future.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Dropped further 10 overnight and airlock is going mad and has got the serious rotten egg smell going now so will have to get on top off the d-rest in a couple of days.

Kinda hoping the attenuation just sticks to normal at 74-79% rather than some of the stupid figures I've got the last few times. But safe to say I'll be doing the starters for all brews lager or ale in the future.
Dont worry about the sulphur, that will die down in due course and is not related to diacetyl. From what I can tell you have been fermenting for only about 4 days? I would wait at least 10 days (total) before raising for a D-rest. A good healthy pitch of yeast will do wonders for the finished product and is an area that a lot of brewers neglect and where problems often stem from.

Dont worry about the sulphur, that will die down in due course and is not related to diacetyl. From what I can tell you have been fermenting for only about 4 days? I would wait at least 10 days (total) before raising for a D-rest. A good healthy pitch of yeast will do wonders for the finished product and is an area that a lot of brewers neglect and where problems often stem from.

So it's 4 points off the estimated FG and slowed a bit, where most things I've read say to start a D-rest within 2-5 points. You think it's fine to wait another 4 days before starting the D-rest and ignore the gravity?

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
So it's 4 points off the estimated FG and slowed a bit, where most things I've read say to start a D-rest within 2-5 points. You think it's fine to wait another 4 days before starting the D-rest and ignore the gravity?
Probably wont make much difference as metabolic by products are not usually chewed up by yeast while chewing sugars but after primary ferment. That said, no harm in bring it up to 18C for a few days but then gradually bring down to 10C over say 4 days and leave for another week before cold crashing.

Probably wont make much difference as metabolic by products are not usually chewed up by yeast while chewing sugars but after primary ferment. That said, no harm in bring it up to 18C for a few days but then gradually bring down to 10C over say 4 days and leave for another week before cold crashing.

I'll give it another day or 2 before doing the rest. Gotta work on my patience.

Any brews going guys?

Update on the Vienna lager: finished up at 1.007 at 84% AA for 5.2% ABV. Cold crashed it on Sunday night then added some gelatin last night and smells fantastic. Going to leave it to lager for 3 weeks before bottling for an 8 week turnaround and take the chance to back off the beers after some heavy indulging over the festive season. All on board the starters now considering how well this one went.

Next up I've got all the ingredients for a Kolsch to brew when the Vienna is done, then thinking something similar to a Nail VPA up next.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Any brews going guys?

Update on the Vienna lager: finished up at 1.007 at 84% AA for 5.2% ABV. Cold crashed it on Sunday night then added some gelatin last night and smells fantastic. Going to leave it to lager for 3 weeks before bottling for an 8 week turnaround and take the chance to back off the beers after some heavy indulging over the festive season. All on board the starters now considering how well this one went.

Next up I've got all the ingredients for a Kolsch to brew when the Vienna is done, then thinking something similar to a Nail VPA up next.
Sounds awesome, look forward to a pic when you finally crack one

I did a very rushed malt extract and honey 8L mixed culture/funky Frankenstein beer at the last minute before I left for WA over Christmas and I’m about to add some cherries to it over the weekend. I basically just chucked together whatever I had on hand including about 5 different yeast dregs from the fridge

Today I brewed a pale/IPA type thing, first proper brew in weeks. Mostly ale malt, some wheat and caramunich. About 1059 OG and only about 27 IBU. Used lallemand verdant IPA yeast again (basically a London III strain).

Hopped it pretty heavily at about 70° - mostly vic secret, with some amarillo and idaho 7. All up about 100 g late hops. Going to dry hop about 3 days in I think and then leave it til i transfer to keg.

also have a Kolsch ready for next week when the ferm fridge frees up. Got wyeast 2565 which is the first Kolsch yeast I used a few years ago - really liked it then so thought I’d give it another go. Going to hop it semi conservatively with kiwi hops.

Jun 28, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Any brews going guys?

I just kegged a hop theif clone that I used the kveik voss yeast on. The beer tastes pretty damn close but... that kveik stuff isnt as good as i first thought... as a kinda funk to it. I think I'll try some different yeasts on the same recipie and see what the dif is

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Bingle_21

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2006
Tittybong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hopefully not too frowned upon in a homebrew thread, does anyone have a beerdroid/brewart here? Getting one for Xmas and keen to hear any tips or pointers.

First brew from the beer droid an English Pub Draught. Almost 3 weeks second fermentation. Pretty happy for a first crack.

Attachments

• 20210129_191530.jpg
    20210129_191530.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
First brew from the beer droid an English Pub Draught. Almost 3 weeks second fermentation. Pretty happy for a first crack.

About time, was wondering if you forgot us!

Do you think you'll improve the more you do or is it pretty straight forward.

Bingle_21

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2006
Tittybong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
About time, was wondering if you forgot us!

Do you think you'll improve the more you do or is it pretty straight forward.

Yeah xmas/NY got in the way. Have a pale ale which hits 2 weeks 2nd fermentation this weekend also. It's looking pretty clear in bottles which surprised me a bit so excited to try it too.

With their 'brewprints' it's super straight forward (was the drawcard for me). Bit like baking a cake from a box. Put this sachet, then that then that one. Then let bake. Machine regulates the temps, and app tells you what to do when.

Although it does allow for more customisation once you get going. One of the brews I have purchased is the Furphy clone which uses hops so interested to do that.

Bingle_21

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2006
Tittybong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Question for the keggers out there. The beerdroid holds 10L. iKegger does a 10L version tweaked for beer droid. The below link looks the same/a knock off but much cheaper.

Just wondering if anyone sees any 'red flags with this one?

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Question for the keggers out there. The beerdroid holds 10L. iKegger does a 10L version tweaked for beer droid. The below link looks the same/a knock off but much cheaper.

Just wondering if anyone sees any 'red flags with this one?

There's a vast array of stainless kegs available but the quality of the stainless and associated components does vary dramatically. I recommend googling some brew forums as they do group buys of various brands from time to time so you should be able to find out which brands to avoid at a minimum, and at best maybe jump on a group buy to save some coin on a reputable brand.

I bought a BeerKat one and the quality was excellent, but they stopped trading due to other commitments.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I am fond of the fridge shelf method. This is what I used (I'd like to think invented) for squeezing the bag with BIAB.
Yeah I stole the fridge shelf idea off you. This has a screen on top of the grain which the keg is sitting on, and the malt pipe is on the fridge shelf obviously

Back