Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was around 40 - I dunno I wrote the recipe months back.
Wow surprising that the budvar is bitterer. Have you transferred it out of the fermenter? Maybe a good idea is to take a sample and shake the s**t out of it and keep it somewhere warm for a few days, so that you can see what the absolute lowest gravity will be. You might end up being able to get it down a couple more points.

Or are you still waiting for it to finish anyway?

Wow surprising that the budvar is bitterer. Have you transferred it out of the fermenter? Maybe a good idea is to take a sample and shake the s**t out of it and keep it somewhere warm for a few days, so that you can see what the absolute lowest gravity will be. You might end up being able to get it down a couple more points.

Or are you still waiting for it to finish anyway?

From another recipe on Beer and Brewing it said to aim for 60! Glad I didn’t go that far.

It's still in the fermenter, it was at 1.009 yesterday and I bumped it up to 18 degrees for a few days. Will go back down to 10 on Friday and let it sit for another week before cold crashing for another week. The plan wasn't to drink it until Christmas. With most of my lagers I get too impatient and by the time 2 months rolls by its tastes *en epic but I'm down to the last couple of litres. Trying to actually be payltient with this one.

From another recipe on Beer and Brewing it said to aim for 60! Glad I didn’t go that far.

It's still in the fermenter, it was at 1.009 yesterday and I bumped it up to 18 degrees for a few days. Will go back down to 10 on Friday and let it sit for another week before cold crashing for another week. The plan wasn't to drink it until Christmas. With most of my lagers I get too impatient and by the time 2 months rolls by its tastes *en epic but I'm down to the last couple of litres. Trying to actually be payltient with this one.
Oof I’ve never conditioned anything that long except my 9% baltic Porter! Yeah cool, sounds like it’s pretty well attenuated. Balanced is good anyway

Oof I’ve never conditioned anything that long except my 9% baltic Porter! Yeah cool, sounds like it’s pretty well attenuated. Balanced is good anyway

Yeah I think it's done attenuating, just got a bit more cleaning up and conditioning to do. It's a long wait but gives me an excuse not to be hammering as much. Will be doing the same with a Vienna lager in a few weeks too.

How's the EBB going?

Yeah I think it's done attenuating, just got a bit more cleaning up and conditioning to do. It's a long wait but gives me an excuse not to be hammering as much. Will be doing the same with a Vienna lager in a few weeks too.

How's the EBB going?
It’s finishing carbing up but tasting pretty decent. Also needs a week or two to condition. It’s got this pleasant toasted peanut and floral vibe to it - doesn’t have that strong pear ester that you get with the typical English yeast strains that get used for ESBs. Which is slightly disappointing because I love that, but it’s also still tasty in its own right.

I made a hazy pale the following weekend and that’s tasting pretty good too. Just needs to be transferred into the keg with some keg hops

Added gelatin and cold crashed my Czech pils today. Left it to meandre between 10-20 degrees for the past week, sat around 14 for the most part, tested yesterday and it's finished at 1.009 and 5.8% - wanted something around 5% but oh well. Tastes excellent even warm, going to be great in a few months time - fingers crossed I can control myself!

On another note, my imperial stout is 12 months old today. Cracked a bottle last night and has mellowed nicely, tasting much better at this age. Down to the last 5 champagne bottles, going to try and save 3 for next winter.

20220922_214823.jpg

Added gelatin and cold crashed my Czech pils today. Left it to meandre between 10-20 degrees for the past week, sat around 14 for the most part, tested yesterday and it's finished at 1.009 and 5.8% - wanted something around 5% but oh well. Tastes excellent even warm, going to be great in a few months time - fingers crossed I can control myself!

On another note, my imperial stout is 12 months old today. Cracked a bottle last night and has mellowed nicely, tasting much better at this age. Down to the last 5 champagne bottles, going to try and save 3 for next winter.

View attachment 1516099
Awesome. Successes like those are what makes brewing so addictive

DanWCE was doing a tip run today and a bloke was ditching this, took it home and gave it a decent clean.

20220927_143908.jpg

20220927_143859.jpg

I know it's nothing special but it's a good score for free and something to start off with to see if I like it or not.

DanWCE was doing a tip run today and a bloke was ditching this, took it home and gave it a decent clean.

View attachment 1519556

View attachment 1519557

I know it's nothing special but it's a good score for free and something to start off with to see if I like it or not.

You need an instant temp pen and a wireless/Bluetooth temp monitor for ambient and meat temps. Without those I think you'll be chasing your tail a little to work out hot spots/cold spots/ideal fire temps and sizes.

But good score, mate! I'd start with something fool proof like a pulled pork butt/cushion. Almost impossible to get wrong.

You need an instant temp pen and a wireless/Bluetooth temp monitor for ambient and meat temps. Without those I think you'll be chasing your tail a little to work out hot spots/cold spots/ideal fire temps and sizes.

But good score, mate! I'd start with something fool proof like a pulled pork butt/cushion. Almost impossible to get wrong.

Any you recommend?

This seems reasonable:

Already have the digital meat thermometer in the kitchen draw.

That's the one I've got. Mine still kinda works, but a probe or port or two are a bit dicky these days. Yet my brother bought the same one and his works faultlessly. I now have an inkbird instant read thermy pen as well which is great. And the bbq school uses the same brand. I think I just got unlucky with mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A0A5445A-CBEB-4065-93E3-88A3F23C3C32.jpeg

Curiosity got the better of me. I wasn’t expecting much, but after seeing all these “fruity beers” on sale, I just had to know what they tasted like.

What I discovered will shock you to the core…
Absolute trash

That's the one I've got. Mine still kinda works, but a probe or port or two are a bit dicky these days. Yet my brother bought the same one and his works faultlessly. I now have an inkbird instant read thermy pen as well which is great. And the bbq school uses the same brand. I think I just got unlucky with mine.

Went for this -

Screenshot_20221004-172312_eBay.jpg

Going to start ramping up the purchases over the coming weeks to get it all working. Thinking some chicken wings and pork burnt ends to start off with - just fantasising really.

Went for this -

View attachment 1526586

Going to start ramping up the purchases over the coming weeks to get it all working. Thinking some chicken wings and pork burnt ends to start off with - just fantasising really.

I've got the same instant read pen (father's day gift) and then just got a new 4 port probe reader (Weber one) for my birthday. Kitted out!

Chicken wings love hot and fast. Pork burnt ends the opposite. But both are a dry rub then sauce option which is great for bbqing I reckon. 🤤

I've got the same instant read pen (father's day gift) and then just got a new 4 port probe reader (Weber one) for my birthday. Kitted out!

Chicken wings love hot and fast. Pork burnt ends the opposite. But both are a dry rub then sauce option which is great for bbqing I reckon. 🤤

Yeah just making s**t up in my head really, been watching a fair few beef rib videos too - don't want to rule anything out!

Yeah just making s**t up in my head really, been watching a fair few beef rib videos too - don't want to rule anything out!

Let me know if you need a hand. I've also got class notes from bbq school you can have, they email them out. They're applicable to Weber and bullet smoking but changes nothing in regards to what you want to achieve with the meat/temperatures etc. Also some basic rub/sauce recipes within

I find Beef Ribs bloody difficult. Really need to give them a lot of time and have to keep the temp down- I think that has been my problem in the past, controlling the temp low enough. Magnificant when done well, chewy and s**t if not done well.

Regarding wings, I still think the best wings are not smoked (they are still great) but simply rolled in flour and deep fried for 8 minutes at 190C. Drain them, toss them in some hot sauce and enjoy.

I find Beef Ribs bloody difficult. Really need to give them a lot of time and have to keep the temp down- I think that has been my problem in the past, controlling the temp low enough. Magnificant when done well, chewy and s**t if not done well.

Regarding wings, I still think the best wings are not smoked (they are still great) but simply rolled in flour and deep fried for 8 minutes at 190C. Drain them, toss them in some hot sauce and enjoy.

Sounds like you have possibly been pulling the ribs off too early? Do you probe them for temp and doneness?

I've done them a few times and never had an issue. They're fatty too so they can actually take a bit of heat.

One of the biggest misconceptions about low and slow bbq is people removing the meat and it being chewy so they think they've overcooked it, but actually haven't cooked it enough. It can lead you in the completely wrong direction.

Also do you cut your ribs up before cooking or leave them in a rack?

Pils has been in the keg for a week now but no gas in there yet - just chilling for now until I have the money to purchase a dual regulator in a few weeks so I can keep a keg of soda water on the go. Gonna try and wait to tap it until Christmas weekend.

Vienna lager on Saturday, spent a heap of time trying to revive this Wyeast pack through a starter, took 72 hours to get it going - for whatever reason it doesn't like the stir plate. I stopped buying Wyeast a few years back and stuck to White Labs as their yeast has failed me a couple of times before, thought I'd give them another chance but definitely won't be going back again now.

Back