Food, Drink & Dining Out Beer - what popular beer won't you drink? (If you want to talk Cider, please post on Mammamia)

Remove this Banner Ad

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
Yes I know! Put a gun to my head and I'll drink anything.

In saying that there are some very popular beers I'd rather not drink.

It's a given as an Aussie in the UK that I refuse to drink Fosters but I really can't stand Heineken. Not sure if it's due to drinking the plastic bottled stuff at sporting event but I find it to.be utter s**t. Give me an Amstel any day of the week.

On the domestic front I've always hated Melbourne Bitter. Utter s**t.

On the craft front which is usually very good I can't stand the Beerdog range like Punk IPA. Really don't understand why it is so popular. Well in the UK at least.

Another no to Melbourne Bitter.

Also:
Corona
VB

And right now the craft beer fad of IPA's brewed with a metric shitload of hops. Not sure what they hope to achieve making something that bitter.

Corona and VB I won't touch for different reasons.
Corona because it made me terribly sick one time when a mate gave me one out of his fridge. I was on the toilet for the rest of the night after only having one and never will touch one ever again.

VB because it was my mums favourite beverage and brings back bad memories of her when she had a drinking problem. Thankfully she is over that and so much happier these days.

I just see her in a sad state every time I see VB. In fact that's pretty much effected me with any alcoholic beverage. Will only now drink when it's a social thing out with friends.

Another no to Melbourne Bitter.

Also:
Corona
VB

And right now the craft beer fad of IPA's brewed with a metric shitload of hops. Not sure what they hope to achieve making something that bitter.

You'd hate the London craft beer. It is so hoppy. I actually really like it though. I used to think Little Creatures was a hoppy beer back home but compared to my favourite Beavertown Gamma Ray it now tastes like water.

Corona and VB I won't touch for different reasons.
Corona because it made me terribly sick one time when a mate gave me one out of his fridge. I was on the toilet for the rest of the night after only having one and never will touch one ever again.

VB because it was my mums favourite beverage and brings back bad memories of her when she had a drinking problem. Thankfully she is over that and so much happier these days.

I just see her in a sad state every time I see VB. In fact that's pretty much effected me with any alcoholic beverage. Will only now drink when it's a social thing out with friends.

Glad your Mum is over it. Tough to beat.

There is a reason Corona comes with a lemon or lime. Without it you'll be tasting that s**t for a week.

My brother works in a bottleshop. Brought a craft beer home last night. Was $54 for a 4 pack. Who drinks that stuff. Tasted like crap. Will take a standard carton thanks and still be cheaper

You'd hate the London craft beer. It is so hoppy. I actually really like it though. I used to think Little Creatures was a hoppy beer back home but compared to my favourite Beavertown Gamma Ray it now tastes like water.

Sounds like I would, which is a terrible shame. I just avoid the Pale Ales but there are plenty of craft breweries making different varieties.

+1 for Heineken being really overrated.

I can't stand Corona.

I avoid Carlton Draught like the plague. Don't like MB or VB, but will drink them if I have to; whereas if my only choice is Carlton (say at a reception), I'll hit the reds instead.

Heineken, Stella, Peroni. The fact that people pay top dollar for a pint of this rubbish at a pub astounds me, even more astounding is that people actually think that it's a "premium" beer.

I don't drink beer , so you could say *all of the above*

This. I only drink Classic Blonde as a beer and other beer drinkers seem to not like it so that speaks volumes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corona is s**t and not even cheap but people keep buying it. Advertising works, clearly.

Never had Fosters, is it even sold in Australia? Its shtick to be sold overseas pretending to be a popular Australian beer right?

I bought a carton of Hammer 'N' Tongs (Liquorland home brand). The savings were not worth it :$

Corona.

Like $80 a carton in Darwin.

If I'm paying that much I'd rather a beer with character and flavour.

Fosters is still sold at some bottle shops, but you'll never find it on tap at a pub anymore and it's exceedingly rare to find it in stubbies or cans at a bar here, either.

I tried some this stuff once, I wouldn't recommend it.
Chibuku.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chibuku_Shake_Shake

Stone and Wood Pacific Ale. Seems to have become really popular for some reason; but for mine it's very meh. Doesn't do anything for me at all.
It's kind of that entry level, non-offensive craft beer and due to its popularity a lot of brewers are trying to replicate something similar with varying degrees of success.

XXXX
+1 on Corona, most Mexican beers don't do it for me (Tecate seems to be in quite a few places now too, water).

Basic American beers are awful too (Bud, Coors)

I won't touch Stella anymore, hate the taste and it gives me a shocking headache/hangover, no idea why it's so popular.

Heineken was actually my preferred lager when I lived in the UK.

The only Aussie beer I would flat out refuse to drink is Emu Export which is horrid stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back