Food, Drink & Dining Out Beers of yore

Remove this Banner Ad

SA, if I never hear that bogan accent ".... HRRRRR SPORTSBET......." bullshit again, targeted at folk who are, frankly speaking, too stupid to know better, I'll die a happy man.
Well the other main issue is sports ads are generally targeted to the lowest common denominator. But then again so is sports broadcasting, and culture in general these days.

Beer ads can be pretty good to be honest. Some pretty funny ones have come out for pretty shitty beers.

Reality is I drank Heineken as a 16-year old because it was advertised so heavily in the soccer.

These days advertising plays a small part but reality is plenty of people are piss-heads. I know women drinking two bottles of white wine a night which is scary, but how healthy really is salivating for your twice weekly big piss ups and having two, three stubbies after knocking off? I unfortunately feel a sense of accomplishment if I go a night without a beer. I'm pretty confident boredom and lifestyle plays a large part, and I'll be able to give it up, but I acknowledge people in my family tree have died from it and it's something that has reared it puffy red head a few times.

Piss sponsorship is pretty bad but whatever, at least the ads are half decent.

But the crux is I'm amazed how a child can be congratulated and awarded for liking an ad about piss.

Well the other main issue is sports ads are generally targeted to the lowest common denominator. But then again so is sports broadcasting, and culture in general these days.

Beer ads can be pretty good to be honest. Some pretty funny ones have come out for pretty shitty beers.

Reality is I drank Heineken as a 16-year old because it was advertised so heavily in the soccer.

These days advertising plays a small part but reality is plenty of people are piss-heads. I know women drinking two bottles of white wine a night which is scary, but how healthy really is salivating for your twice weekly big piss ups and having two, three stubbies after knocking off? I unfortunately feel a sense of accomplishment if I go a night without a beer. I'm pretty confident boredom and lifestyle plays a large part, and I'll be able to give it up, but I acknowledge people in my family tree have died from it and it's something that has reared it puffy red head a few times.

Piss sponsorship is pretty bad but whatever, at least the ads are half decent.

But the crux is I'm amazed how a child can be congratulated and awarded for liking an ad about piss.

This.

While I can see some hypocrisy in my comment, I don't have a problem with alcohol advertising. I can appreciate that like any advertising it has a target audience, but admittedly I accept it as I enjoy a beer as much as the next bloke.

Gambling advertising is, however, that little but more predatory as, like promotion of any numb nuts reality show, it is blatantly targeted at (what you correctly describe as) the lowest common denominator audience. I guess my issue with it is that major sporting organisations like the AFL have sold their soul to it, and anyone with half a brain should see straight through it but many don't. The problem being that 50% of the population are, by definition, more stupid than the other 50% of the population.

Hammer & Tongs will be gone soon. There's nothing more annoying than some scungey backpacker with white boy dreads asking for it at work. Haven't had it, don't want to.

Überbräu is a cheap beer they're flogging now. Haven't tried it, $10 for a six-pack of 'European' beer is way too ******* suspect.

This.

While I can see some hypocrisy in my comment, I don't have a problem with alcohol advertising. I can appreciate that like any advertising it has a target audience, but admittedly I accept it as I enjoy a beer as much as the next bloke.
I don't think seeing booze adverts on V8 supercars is a great look, and perhaps doesn't send a great message, but you can't ban it from just one sport. You could make the case that the cost to society from alcohol now is probably greater now than smoking was when they banned ciggy sponsorship.

If gambling and alcohol sponsorship was to it would be interesting to see where advertising revenue would come from, such has the landscape changed.

Shield winners wearing the state's beer supplier apparel was a staple during the 80s (mostly this was NSW)

Alcohol advertising is banned in French sport and to my knowledge neither industry has gone broke.

Maybe it's just a result that young blokes these days aren't very good drinkers.

Grown men buying what's essentially alcoholic coke, blokes who struggle with more than eight stubbies in a night, Coronas... back in the day people could handle their piss and a punch-up was a mutual means to an end. People could sit on ponies for hours and the most debauched you got was a suggestion perhaps a nightclub was the next logical step. High alcohol prices and the result of pre-drinking has rotted what was classic Australian pub culture. Now Draught tastes like piss and anything respectable is $20 a jug.

If gambling and alcohol sponsorship was to it would be interesting to see where advertising revenue would come from, such has the landscape changed.

Shield winners wearing the state's beer supplier apparel was a staple during the 80s (mostly this was NSW)
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images(3).jpg Those cockroaches love their piss,amuses me how VB is front and centre on their most revered guernsey.

hark back to glory days.....pick the Aussie XI

1985+86+Sheffield+Shield+Winners+New+South+Wales+low+res.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can get eight Test players out of that, must be the 85/86 side, S. Waugh would have been in NZ with the Test team at the time.

The Channel 9 Cricket yearbook was always a great read.

The prior season they had Imran Khan playing for them when they won that title too

The Channel 9 Cricket yearbook was always a great read.

The prior season they had Imran Khan playing for them when they won that title too
Annual Christmas present for me when I was a kid, I've got a complete run from 77/78 to 1996. They were some of the first "grown up" books I ever read.

hark back to glory days.....pick the Aussie XI

1985+86+Sheffield+Shield+Winners+New+South+Wales+low+res.jpg
I've now got the "I feel like a Tooheys or two" tune stuck in my head thanks to this.
Whilst on the subject, did anyone ever crack open any of these?
n1401.jpg

Sounds like a variety of Soup.

I remember drinking Boags Strongarm a bit, when the difference in price between a "standard" beer and a "premium" beer seemed to be more.
Same here
Bar I used to have a regular night at had this on tap
Sold it at normal prices for about 3 months,then one night price went up $2 a pint.When asked bar manager said"it's a premium beer"
Last one I bought
Nice beer though

A good one that didn't last long was the original Tooheya Extra Dry platinum, with the black labels. It was 6.5% rather than the standard ~5%. Had the desired effect.
The desired effect is a good way to put it. Drunk that quite a bit in my early 20's as it was only a couple bucks more for a case than a standard 5% beer, but was significantly quicker (and therefore cheaper) to get pissed.

Cant remember who made it but there was one called LJ. Stood for low joule, like it was made for diabetics or something. Foster Special used to be everywhere. Carlton Colds were huge back in the day, first beer I remember in a clear bottle.

Cant remember who made it but there was one called LJ. Stood for low joule, like it was made for diabetics or something. Foster Special used to be everywhere. Carlton Colds were huge back in the day, first beer I remember in a clear bottle.

This one:

5966.jpg

I remember that. I got really drunk on Carlton Cold once when I was young and never drank it again. A horrible beer though anyway.

Swan Lager is the one that stands out for me. My Dad used to drink it and I think it was the first beer I tried. I remember we won a fridge shaped like a Swan Lager can back in the 80s too.

Do they still sell Cascade Green? That was pretty good.

This one:

5966.jpg

I remember that. I got really drunk on Carlton Cold once when I was young and never drank it again. A horrible beer though anyway.

Swan Lager is the one that stands out for me. My Dad used to drink it and I think it was the first beer I tried. I remember we won a fridge shaped like a Swan Lager can back in the 80s too.

Do they still sell Cascade Green? That was pretty good.

Yeah thats it. Think it was mid strength.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back