Food, Drink & Dining Out Beers of yore

Remove this Banner Ad

s-l300.jpg

The perfect camping beers. Remember it as one of the finest tasting beers of my life, unfortunately I'll never know if this was truely a great beer cut down in its prime or it was just rubbish.

Good old Eagle Blue. I'd forgotten about them. My old man used to love them, in a responsible way of course.

This ad of theirs wouldn't get far these days.

I'm pretty sure it didn't get far when it first aired. I can remember the controversy on the news about it.

I won a local radio competition back when I was about 10 years old saying the advertisement for this beer was my favourite on television; my prize was the Grammy Nominees 2004 CD... From memory the guy is attempting all these tasks with one hand because he can't let go of the beer in his other.

carltonsterling.jpg
This went off at the bowls club as the light beer literally sold shelves of it after a game. Cascade came in a took over after a year or two.

Is Powers Bitter still around? Loved it back in the day. One of the first "naturally brewed no chemicals" beers in early 90s

Do they still sell Cascade Green? That was pretty good.

No, and a lot of the Cascade stuff has gone by the wayside. Cascade stout was nice, don't think they make it anymore.

CUB has really done badly with that brand. I think they destroyed it when they put the premium lager bottles to 330ml and still wanted to the same money and put them in slabs of 16. Boags kept on as 375ml.

Cascade First Harvest beers were pretty decent.

I was surprised to learn on Google that Foster's Light Ice is still a thing.

303 Icegold however disappeared years ago.

I remember when Carlton Cold was still full strength and was a favourite with under agers. Who remembers Carlton Cold Shot? Take the same shitty beer and add some vodka to it to bring it up to 6%. Revolting.

There really are some ******* terrible beers around. Carlton Dry (with or without added lime), Toohey's Extra Dry, Hahn Superdry (full or mid strength) - just vile stuff. Corona and its even poorer cousins Sol and Cantina. Whoever managed to pitch Corona as a premium product to the Australian market deserves a penthouse office and gold plated toilet seat.

On the plus side Little Creatures are releasing a 7.7% double IPA in Freo tomorrow. Yes please.

Whoever managed to pitch Corona as a premium product to the Australian market deserves a penthouse office and gold plated toilet seat.

Not just in Australia. They've been successful at that globally. I guess it captures a market though. It's kind of a beer for people who don't like beer. I remember enjoying Corona after a friends bucks party. We kicked on the next day and it's not bad as 'hair of the dog'. Flavoured water.

Not just in Australia. They've been successful at that globally. I guess it captures a market though. It's kind of a beer for people who don't like beer. I remember enjoying Corona after a friends bucks party. We kicked on the next day and it's not bad as 'hair of the dog'. Flavoured water.
Pretty much the beer for people who aren't beer drinkers but don't want to look like a pussy by drinking a sauv blanc etc.

I was surprised to learn on Google that Foster's Light Ice is still a thing.

303 Icegold however disappeared years ago.

I remember when Carlton Cold was still full strength and was a favourite with under agers. Who remembers Carlton Cold Shot? Take the same shitty beer and add some vodka to it to bring it up to 6%. Revolting.

There really are some ******* terrible beers around. Carlton Dry (with or without added lime), Toohey's Extra Dry, Hahn Superdry (full or mid strength) - just vile stuff. Corona and its even poorer cousins Sol and Cantina. Whoever managed to pitch Corona as a premium product to the Australian market deserves a penthouse office and gold plated toilet seat.

On the plus side Little Creatures are releasing a 7.7% double IPA in Freo tomorrow. Yes please.
Carlton Dry baffles me. Was forced into drinking that at an event as it was all they had. So watery.

When I lived in Russia ten years ago I used to drink a beer called Baltika. Didn't see it in Australia for years but apparently you can get it here now. Too bad I don't drink anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, and a lot of the Cascade stuff has gone by the wayside. Cascade stout was nice, don't think they make it anymore.

CUB has really done badly with that brand. I think they destroyed it when they put the premium lager bottles to 330ml and still wanted to the same money and put them in slabs of 16. Boags kept on as 375ml.

Cascade First Harvest beers were pretty decent.
Larger still alive.

They also killed Mercury Black Cider. Ok so it's cider but at 8.1% had hell of a kick.

p19ic32vl4lh8tkjf6u1v02b084.JPG

Got bought out by/discontinued by Swan end of the 80's I'd reckon from memory. Hannans Lager was also popular as I recall.
Man, of all the places to brew and sell a stout, they choose the most arid, hot place in Australia? I don't like stout but on a drizzly day it has a place. Drinking this in a Kal summer would be bonafide torture – like a Farmers Union at 4pm.

They also killed Mercury Black Cider. Ok so it's cider but at 8.1% had hell of a kick.
I don't know if it's the same thing, but they brought out/back Mercury Hard Cider about a year ago. It comes in six packs and now ten packs. It's 2 standards a 355ml can so it must be about 6% or so – honestly not a bad cider as far as it goes. It was about $16 a six pack and now $20ish for 10.

FWIW Cascade is s**t, which is disappointing. A four pack of 1.1ish stubbies is till $17-odd, and the Pale Ale is woeful – watery but heavy.

Carlton Dry baffles me. Was forced into drinking that at an event as it was all they had. So watery.
So many young blokes drink s**t piss. VB, Carlton at $55 a slab. Stuff like this, Cold, Hahn, Pure Blonde, Tooheys. It's not cheap and it has that pretty bad sugary aftertaste. Asahi is just as weirdly popular and overpriced – a girl once summed it up perfectly when it's all I had in the fridge (I blame a mate): "it tastes like watered down Draught."

Creatures IPA is something else, one of my favourite beers. I scammed a few slabs of it for $45 a pop a few months ago (it's usually about $77 at Dan's) and tried saving them but I couldn't. Are you going to duck down and give it a go? Are they producing it in stubbies? Let us know.

Also was Swan once sold outside of WA? And where did Swan Lager fit in between Swan Draught et al? Why'd they stop making it? And why did Emu spell it 'draft.'

Creatures IPA is something else, one of my favourite beers. I scammed a few slabs of it for $45 a pop a few months ago (it's usually about $77 at Dan's) and tried saving them but I couldn't. Are you going to duck down and give it a go? Are they producing it in stubbies? Let us know.

Also was Swan once sold outside of WA? And where did Swan Lager fit in between Swan Draught et al? Why'd they stop making it? And why did Emu spell it 'draft.'

I believe (via Instagram) that Little Creatures had a small run of the double IPA at Geelong that sold out. I didn't get home until 7 but they had a post up saying there was a big turnout at 5pm and 160 of the 300 bottles (a very small batch) were already gone. Boo-urns.

No idea if Swan was ever sold outside WA. Can't see why it would have been. I was in the NT in the early 90s as a kid and I don't remember seeing Swan/Emu products around but I definitely saw VB. Pretty sure Swan Lager and Premium Lager were goneski before I was drinking age.

Asahi is alright, but it's gone past Corona and achieved 'super premium' status that it doesn't warrant. Already obnoxious Perth pubs will try and flog it off for $14 in those stupid frosted Asahi glasses that aren't pints. Pass.

It's different in Japan, too. Not that the imported Asahi Dry we get tastes any different, but if you go into a Seico (7-11 basically) there will be a bunch of different Asahi, Kirin etc. varieties.

Kirin is a ripping beer. It's a lager but a good one – has some personality to it. I don't rate Asian beers much (they're only good when it's humid and hot, obviously) but Kirin is tops.

Asahi is alright, but it's gone past Corona and achieved 'super premium' status that it doesn't warrant. Already obnoxious Perth pubs will try and flog it off for $14 in those stupid frosted Asahi glasses that aren't pints. Pass.

It's different in Japan, too. Not that the imported Asahi Dry we get tastes any different, but if you go into a Seico (7-11 basically) there will be a bunch of different Asahi, Kirin etc. varieties.
Asahi has a weird almost metallic like taste to me.

Asahi has a weird almost metallic like taste to me.
Same. It's sort of sugary or something. Even the shape of the bottles and the tacky silver labels... even the stubbie feels lighter or something, I just don't rate it at all. It's one of those love or hate beers.

I find Asahi pretty inoffensive. Don't think I've met anyone that hates it.

A lot of beers these days I reckon with a blind taste test I wouldn't know the difference. The 'brewed locally under license' Heineken, Carlsberg, Stella etc. all starts to taste the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back