Music Beginner guitarist seeking advice

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh i think I may have broken thru a glass ceiling this week

For the first time I've been able to grab the guitar and just play chords , just strumming away changing from chord to chord to chord.

Feels like I'm not pushing s$#t up hill anymore... It seems achieve able.

The next thing is trying to find strumming patterns that don't sound like I'm having some kind of fit while playing

That's the short answer anyway. I could ask you what features do you want or what are you planning to use it for but unless you said you wanted to play classical guitar or wanted it for a large venue the answer would probably be the same.

If you want something for making Burzum like stuff I have a Peavey Rage 108 here that I bought new when I was 17. It's got a clean channel, a dirty channel and it sounds like a total piece of s**t. You can have it for nothing. :grinning:

That's the short answer anyway. I could ask you what features do you want or what are you planning to use it for but unless you said you wanted to play classical guitar or wanted it for a large venue the answer would probably be the same.

If you want something for making Burzum like stuff I have a Peavey Rage 108 here that I bought new when I was 17. It's got a clean channel, a dirty channel and it sounds like a total piece of ****. You can have it for nothing. :grinning:

I'm after an amp with an effects loop really. I bought a Metal Zone MT-2 pedal which sounds like s**t if you run it through the input channel since it acts like a pre-amp apparently. I'm a total noob though and only got my first guitar the other day so I guess an effects loop is desirable but not essential.

I'm after an amp with an effects loop really. I bought a Metal Zone MT-2 pedal which sounds like **** if you run it through the input channel since it acts like a pre-amp apparently. I'm a total noob though and only got my first guitar the other day so I guess an effects loop is desirable but not essential.
Ahhh okay. You would probably do a lot better getting them as separate units. You can get some really cheap looping options (I've recently been looking into buying a looping device myself - have settled on one of the Boss ones RC3 or 30 but you can get cheaper ones). Have a look at this. I think the Ditto is the cheapest one from memory but you don't have to pay too much more to start getting better features.

Edit: Ah hang on I think I've misunderstood you. An EFFECTS LOOP. So you're just after an amp and don't want any built in effects?

Ahhh okay. You would probably do a lot better getting them as separate units. You can get some really cheap looping options (I've recently been looking into buying a looping device myself - have settled on one of the Boss ones RC3 or 30 but you can get cheaper ones). Have a look at this. I think the Ditto is the cheapest one from memory but you don't have to pay too much more to start getting better features.

Edit: Ah hang on I think I've misunderstood you. An EFFECTS LOOP. So you're just after an amp and don't want any built in effects?
Sorry for not being clear, I think that's right.

See this video:

He plugs the pedal into the back of the amp rather than the input jack at the front so it bypasses all the amp's effects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See this video:

He plugs the pedal into the back of the amp rather than the input jack at the front so it bypasses all the amp's effects.

Rightio. That's out of my area of expertise then I'm afraid. I've never even owned an amp that has one sorry. Someone else might have some ideas though. Maddogm Coldacre ? Anyone else?

See this video:

You can get various amps with an effects loop, the other alternative is an amp with a good clean channel.
a cheap option with a effects loop is something like https://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/Bantamp-Zombie-20-Watt-Guitar-Tube-Amp-Head/70301 (no idea if it's any good though)

I think I saw an amp the other day that was marketed at playing with pedals (basically just a clean channel) but I cant find it again

I got a Fender Player Strat. I'm a lefty so my choices were kind of limited. What do you own?
You could always buy a righty and string it upside down. The good thing about leftys is they're generally cheaper I think. I'm a bit surprised you didn't go for something a bit more metally with humbuckers.

I have gas (guitar acquisition syndrome).

84 Les Paul standard
Fender 70s reissue tele
BC Rich Warlock
Gretsch electromatic
Artist es335 knock off
Ormsby Homer (built it with Perry on one of his guitar courses)
Ibanez electric acoustic
Gibson sg bass
Hofner violin bass

I have the more generic form (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
Guitars:
Squire Fat strat
Artist P-bass knock off
Ibanez sr1800 bass

Kit Guitars:
Strat - under contruction
Pbass deluxe (pbass & musicman pickups) - under construction
Les Paul - not started
tele - not started

amps:
Marshall mg50
Vox ac4-blue
Trace Elliot ELF (with 1x10 cab)
Avid Eleven Rack
roland micro cube
marshall mg10 ?
fender 10w?
Lamington Junior - under construction
Lamington III - not started
Artist 15w Bass amp

Pedals:
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Jimi Hendrix
BYOC Green pony
BYOC Large Beaver (Rams head config)
BYOC Bass Overdrive
BYOC Full Circle
BYOC Crown Jewel - under construction
BYOC Wah - not started
+ more

All that gear and I'm still s**t :p

Ambitious buying all those kit guitars!
it all started with buying a cheap $200 kit (the strat) - the longer they take the more upgrades I seem to buy

the les paul I bought on sale and isn't available anymore (Gibson cracked down on them)
has a flame maple top which I'm paranoid about screwing up, so I'm leaving that and the tele until I'm more confident

You can get various amps with an effects loop, the other alternative is an amp with a good clean channel.
a cheap option with a effects loop is something like https://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/Bantamp-Zombie-20-Watt-Guitar-Tube-Amp-Head/70301 (no idea if it's any good though)

I think I saw an amp the other day that was marketed at playing with pedals (basically just a clean channel) but I cant find it again

Thanks for the advice. I had been looking at the Boss Katana 50 which I belive has a good clean channel?

You could always buy a righty and string it upside down. The good thing about leftys is they're generally cheaper I think. I'm a bit surprised you didn't go for something a bit more metally with humbuckers.

I have gas (guitar acquisition syndrome).

84 Les Paul standard
Fender 70s reissue tele
BC Rich Warlock
Gretsch electromatic
Artist es335 knock off
Ormsby Homer (built it with Perry on one of his guitar courses)
Ibanez electric acoustic
Gibson sg bass
Hofner violin bass
Maybe I'll do the righty re-string when I get more experienced but I already am thinking about which guitar I should get next. I was just after a general purpose guitar to start with, but I also have other musical tastes beyond metal :p

Thanks for the advice. I had been looking at the Boss Katana 50 which I belive has a good clean channel?
This might help you understand what you're looking for: https://blog.andertons.co.uk/learn/should-i-use-a-guitar-amp-effects-loop

Maybe I'll do the righty re-string when I get more experienced but I already am thinking about which guitar I should get next. I was just after a general purpose guitar to start with, but I also have other musical tastes beyond metal :p
The GAS is taking hold :p

One of the reasons I got the Tele kit above it I wanted to add the different tones a Tele provides to my collection.

Of course it'll only provided them once completed.

Amplifiers eh?

As a committed worshipper at the Church of the Electric Wizard and one-time owner of a 200-watt, double-tube-amp, eight-speaker, 120-kg full stack, I believe I'm qualified to comment.

The short version is, if you're into metal but don't play in a band, don't bother.

You'll come a whole lot closer to the sound you want playing through an amp/effects modelling software or unit run into headphones or your stereo than through any home-sized amplifiers, and the hardware that produces those sounds in the wild can't be turned up to the requisite volume at home. It also makes recording a breeze as you needn't worry about microphones or acoustics.

The entry-level option is something like a Line 6 Pod Studio, as a basic interface with bundled modelling software. You can run any pedals you like between your guitar and the input interface. You can then look to devices with more in/out channels and effects loops, more advanced software like Guitar Rig or Amplitube, or standalone hardware than you can also run into an amp if you so desire.

Amps certainly have their place, but a small amp will always sound like a small amp purely because speakers and cabinets are a fundamental constraint, which is fine in many genres but gets shown up if you're after a 'bigger' or more distorted sound.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back